Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Say you have the graph of a quadratic equation, and you have all the x/y values but not the equation of the line, is there a way you go about finding the equation without trial & error?

ReputationRep:
    well if any of your co-ordinates have x=0 or y=0 it will help in terms of working out y-intercept etc... apart from that i actually have no idea

ReputationRep:
    you have to...quadra....BOOOOOOOOBS......

ReputationRep:
    Well where it intercepts the x axis would be the solutions, so then you could write it as a multiple of that factorised form, and then another point would enable you to deduce the exact equation.

ReputationRep:
    All the x/y values?
    If you have 3 different sets, you can form simultaneous equations and solve them for a, b and c(for a quadratic being ax^2+bx+c).

ReputationRep:
    In other news:

Put 3 points through y = ax^2 + bx + c, getting you 3 equations in terms of a, b and c. use your favourite method to solve them, and write your quadratic.

ReputationRep:
    can you upload a pic of the graph??

it helps if everyone can see it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    All the x/y values?
    If you have 3 different sets, you can form simultaneous equations and solve them for a, b and c(for a quadratic being ax^2+bx+c).
    Tried that, just took me round in a circle.

http://tutor2u.net/economics/revisio...p_image001.gif

The graph looks a bit like that (the TR line, disregard everything else), but the problem is it doesnt cut the x-axis. I was thinking maybe using the vertex and trying to complete the square?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Tried that, just took me round in a circle.

http://tutor2u.net/economics/revisio...p_image001.gif

The graph looks a bit like that (the TR line, disregard everything else), but the problem is it doesnt cut the x-axis
    That looks like it cuts the x-axis at x=0, and also like it's not a quadratic, are you certain it is?

ReputationRep:
    That looks like it cuts the x-axis at x=0, and also like it's not a quadratic, are you certain it is?
    yeah, but x=0 doesnt count because you cant use it to determine the equation, and yes it's a quadratic in the form y = -ax^2 + bx + c, where y = revenue, and x = quantity sold

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but x=0 doesnt count because you cant use it to determine the equation, and yes it's a quadratic in the form y = -ax^2 + bx + c, where y = revenue, and x = quantity sold
    You certainly can.
    If x=0 is a root of a quadratic, you can factorise the quadratic to x(x-a)
    And, it looks like a circle arc, but I'll take your word for it.
    All you need now is any other point (x,y) to put into the equation
    y=x(x-a).

ReputationRep:
    You certainly can.
    If x=0 is a root of a quadratic, you can factorise the quadratic to x(x-a)
    And, it looks like a circle arc, but I'll take your word for it.
    All you need now is any other point (x,y) to put into the equation
    y=x(x-a).
    Wait, maybe I'm missing something but surely

y = x(x-a) = x^2 - ax, how does that relate to this graph? and the picture I posted isnt the actual graph, it's just a graph that looks like the graph in my textbook, which is definitely a quadratic equation.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, maybe I'm missing something but surely

y = x(x-a) = x^2 - ax, how does that relate to this equation? and the picture I posted isnt the graph, it's just a graph that looks like the graph in my textbook, which is definitely a quadratic equation.
    You said you have all values of x and y.
    Take a point (x,y), put the values of x and y in  y =  x^2 - ax, get  a =  \frac{x^2 - y}{x}, and you've found a.

ReputationRep:
    You said you have all values of x and y.
    Take a point (x,y), put the values of x and y in  y =  x^2 - ax, get  a =  \frac{x^2 - y}{x}, and you've found a.
    what I dont get is how you've gone from

y = -ax^2 + bx + c, to

y = x(x-a)

ReputationRep:

y = -ax^2 + bx + c, to

y = x(x-a)
    In the graph you've shown, x=0 is a point where y is 0. If this isn't the case on your actual graph, disregard it.
    Do you know every quadratic can be expressed as (x-a)(x-b) where a and b are the x values for the x-axis intercepts?
    Using that knowledge, and the knowledge that (0,0) is an intercept, we can set b=0, and get the quadratic=x(x-a)

Edit-the two aren't the same a, the a in the first is the coefficient of x^2, and the second it's one of the roots of the quadratic. In general they won't be the same.

ReputationRep:
    well if one of the x=0 and y=0 at the same point... y=x(x-a) proves that either x=0 or x-a=0 which would make y=0... from there its easy

ReputationRep:

y = -ax^2 + bx + c, to

y = x(x-a)
    he's just saying that since this quadratic has 2 roots and one of them is 0, then you can factorise it as y = (x - 0)(x - k) ie y = x(x-k)
    now find a point x,y, sub it in so that you get a value for k, and you've found your quadratic

ReputationRep:
    In the graph you've shown, x=0 is a point where y is 0. If this isn't the case on your actual graph, disregard it.
    Do you know every quadratic can be expressed as (x-a)(x-b) where a and b are the x values for the x-axis intercepts?
    Using that knowledge, and the knowledge that (0,0) is an intercept, we can set b=0, and get the quadratic=x(x-a)

Edit-the two aren't the same a, the a in the first is the coefficient of x^2, and the second it's one of the roots of the quadratic. In general they won't be the same.
    yeah, I get it now, but like the graph in the picture there's only one x-axis intercept - (0,0). In this particular case there's a maximum quantity of goods sold (i.e. a maximum value for x) so the graph cuts off at that point. Am I right in guessing that unless the graph has 2 roots this is impossible?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, I get it now, but like the graph in the picture there's only one x-axis intercept - (0,0). In this particular case there's a maximum quantity of goods sold (i.e. a maximum value for x) so the graph cuts off at that point. Am I right in guessing that unless the graph has 2 roots this is impossible?
    The graph does have two roots, you just aren't shown where the other is.
    And as stated above, if you're given the values of x and y at any other point you can solve to find the equation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.