Turn on thread page Beta

Want to get a tattoo but having trouble getting my dad to accept... watch

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

This might not really have anything to do with your answer but its still good info to include... I am 16, a swimmer and wanting to get the tattoo on my right shoulder blade. I am an all-rounded student in terms of academics, sports, culture etc so not a problem with lack of grades.

I am wanting a tattoo of a wolf in a tribal type theme, purely in black and white.

My dad has said for now it is a no, but it is still a slight maybe... I am going to get designs for the tattoo soon, but apart from that my dad thinks that tattoos are tacky, which i do not - especially since a wolf means a lot to me. He also believes many women don't find them attractive at all (but please do tell me if there is anyone who WONT date someone who has a tattoo).

If there is any argument you guys can help me with to sway my dad, please do.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just wait until you're 18...it's for life anyway, two years isn't going to kill you.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I agree - just wait two years :yep: Wouldn't it be a problem if you're a swimmer though ... ? Tattoo fading and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Tribals are boring, wolves are cliched. Get something better.

ReputationRep:
    Just wait, spend the next two years finding the perfect tattooist and getting your design perfected. I'd keep it on your bedroom wall so you're 100% certain that's the design you want. Your dad will see you're responsible and serious about it then because he probably thinks you'll regret it in the future. When I was younger I kept changing my mind on designs and I'm so glad I didn't get anything that I was originally thinking about getting.

Tattoos are SO sexy on a guy, but badly done ones aren't. Especially with the design you want, it can so easily look tacky..

Also, chlorine is really bad for new tattoos.

ReputationRep:
    If someone is actually willing to tattoo you at age sixteen then run the **** away from them, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Wait till you are 18, you might find that a tribal wolf when you are out at the pub in uni might look a bit daft

However if you still wn it then , whats 2 years when youll have it till you die

And it's illegal to have it done under 18 and no reputable tatooist will do it

ReputationRep:
    Are you a chav or from a 'wooly back' town such as St Helens or Wigan?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, it is illegal to tattoo a minor.

Secondly, chlorine and a tattoo = the worst possible concoction.

Wait until you're old enough.

ReputationRep:
    Some girls might misjudge you because of it if they don't know you well. I personally would think twice about bringing someone with a tatoo home to see my parents (christians) but otherwise it's not very important unless it's offensive or on in a very prominant place. I doubt yours would get in the way.
    I'd also say wait til you're 18 or at least until you've been sure about it for a while. Some of my brothers have tattoos and piercings and all 3 have regreted it for years.

ReputationRep:
    I can't actually picture what you want, but you are still only 16. It's illegal for you to have a tattoo done and so you'll have to go to a dodgy artist, thus risking a crappily done tatt and all sorts of lovely diseases. Not only that, but I know I and my friends certainly grew up and our tastes changed a LOT between 16 and 18 - what happens if you have it now but totally regret it in a couple of years? Tattoos are permanent, wait until you're legal - not only will you be able to go to a reputable tattooist, but you'll also have had time to really consider it. If you still want it in two years, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Can't get tattooed under 18 even with parents permission. No trained tattoists will tattoo you. Its illegal.

Take the time designing it, making it perfect, so when you turn 18 it'll be how you want it to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Are you a chav or from a 'wooly back' town such as St Helens or Wigan?
    Haha, none of those, I am actually south african but living on an island called Mauritius...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexuali)
    Can't get tattooed under 18 even with parents permission. No trained tattoists will tattoo you. Its illegal.

Take the time designing it, making it perfect, so when you turn 18 it'll be how you want it to be.
    Truthfully here it isn't illegal to get a tattoo under 18 years old, plus if it was, they would barely question me here anyway as they all think i am like 20 (and being serious there)...

ReputationRep:
    Just hide it.
    Ive managed to hide my tattoo from my Dad for 3 years!
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalexi)
    Also, chlorine is really bad for new tattoos.
    Just curious, but about how long would i not be able to swim in a chlorine pool for if I did get a tattoo though?? (btw i live on an island, therefor I have the sea)

And my swimming coach also has a tattoo and so far it doesn't seem faded from; 1) Her getting sun burned so often haha, 2) the chlorine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rick-Raith)
    Truthfully here it isn't illegal to get a tattoo under 18 years old, plus if it was, they would barely question me here anyway as they all think i am like 20 (and being serious there)...

didn't realise you don't live in england- sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, but about how long would i not be able to swim in a chlorine pool for if I did get a tattoo though?? (btw i live on an island, therefor I have the sea)

And my swimming coach also has a tattoo and so far it doesn't seem faded from; 1) Her getting sun burned so often haha, 2) the chlorine...
    Don't swim for at least a month after getting tattood.

ReputationRep:

I should think sea water would be good for it if you moousturise after as it will get the dead skin off but that's just me

chlorine is a nono though

ReputationRep:
    Are you in SA? Because I'm pretty sure you have to be 18 to get tattood in SA.

The reason the age limit is there is because you are still changing a lot physically and mentally at 16. You are more likely to think you want something that you later on won't, and more likely to grow which could distort and ruin the tattoo.

I know I'd hate myself if I'd been tattood with the things I liked at 16.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.