Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to get a tattoo but having trouble getting my dad to accept... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    I should think sea water would be good for it if you moousturise after as it will get the dead skin off but that's just me

chlorine is a nono though
    For a start, you don't want to expose your tattoo to anything unclean. I wouldn't say the sea is the cleanest place in the world. And secondly, soaking a new tattoo - in any liquid - will damage it.

So the sea is also a big no-no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    For a start, you don't want to expose your tattoo to anything unclean. I wouldn't say the sea is the cleanest place in the world. And secondly, soaking a new tattoo - in any liquid - will damage it.

So the sea is also a big no-no.
    aw I guess !

Don't listen to me op, I only know about peircings lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rick-Raith)
    hey guys,

This might not really have anything to do with your answer but its still good info to include... I am 16, a swimmer and wanting to get the tattoo on my right shoulder blade. I am an all-rounded student in terms of academics, sports, culture etc so not a problem with lack of grades.

I am wanting a tattoo of a wolf in a tribal type theme, purely in black and white.

My dad has said for now it is a no, but it is still a slight maybe... I am going to get designs for the tattoo soon, but apart from that my dad thinks that tattoos are tacky, which i do not - especially since a wolf means a lot to me. He also believes many women don't find them attractive at all (but please do tell me if there is anyone who WONT date someone who has a tattoo).

If there is any argument you guys can help me with to sway my dad, please do.
    lol i didnt want to date one guy purely because he had a big tatoo on his arm :P i hate tatoos

ReputationRep:
    Are you in SA? Because I'm pretty sure you have to be 18 to get tattood in SA.

The reason the age limit is there is because you are still changing a lot physically and mentally at 16. You are more likely to think you want something that you later on won't, and more likely to grow which could distort and ruin the tattoo.

I know I'd hate myself if I'd been tattood with the things I liked at 16.
    Nah i live on an island called Mauritius, here they seem to have most of the same laws, except with parental permission most things are allowed, drinking, smoking, and i'd imagine tattoos since i know alot of guys who have tattoos... (good ones too)

And the thing is I know my interests will change... but the thing is a wolf, actually means alot to me from what I am like, to what my life has been like to my thoughts and experiences...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agatka148)
    lol i didnt want to date one guy purely because he had a big tatoo on his arm :P i hate tatoos
    But if it was more discrete (on the back) and maybe around 10 cm x 10 cm at max size... otherwise smaller...

ReputationRep:
    its illegal to tattoo anyone under the age of 18 so im not surprised your dad is saying no

like others have said wait

oh and swimming + new tattoo = BIG no no! you would have to not swim for 3-4 weeks at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    its illegal to tattoo anyone under the age of 18 so im not surprised your dad is saying no

like others have said wait

oh and swimming + new tattoo = BIG no no! you would have to not swim for 3-4 weeks at least

he doesn't live in england. different laws

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, give it fourty years and you'll wish you didn't.

ReputationRep:
    But if it was more discrete (on the back) and maybe around 10 cm x 10 cm at max size... otherwise smaller...
    depends if the guy suits the tatoo if yes, i dont think i would have a probrem with that

ReputationRep:
    Just wait until it's legal, and you're legal to make your own decision.

ReputationRep:
    well though this is probably going to not be too close to the actual design this is what i was thinking of roughly

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs45/300W...Searcher04.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    If someone is actually willing to tattoo you at age sixteen then run the **** away from them, seriously.
    This. Not only will they probably be crap because they have to tattoo underage kids to get business but if they don't care about keeping to the legal age limit then they probably don't care about other things like sterilising their equipment.

Wait until you're 18 then your dad won't have any say in whether you get one or not.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, havent met one girl who didnt think my tattoo was sexy
    Secondly, wait until you're 18. Like people have said, tastes change. Plus you havent said why the wolf is "important" to you
    Thirdly if you try and hide it, you will fail eventually. I got mine done, then didnt go home for about 3 weeks. Then I went home, had forgotten about it, took my shirt off for my mum to iron it and bam, whats that on your back she asks!

ReputationRep:
    Tribal, lol. |:

ReputationRep:
    Truthfully here it isn't illegal to get a tattoo under 18 years old, plus if it was, they would barely question me here anyway as they all think i am like 20 (and being serious there)...
    just do it, it's hardly up to your dad - both his points are true, and so are the swimming ones, and it's best not to expose it to too much direct sunlight for about a month as well, but it's still your decision.

You won't regret it for a while, and it'll probably end up being cheaper to remove tattoos some point in the future.

ReputationRep:
    First off, that design is awful! Don't do it!
    And secondly, I got a tattoo when I was 15 and although I don't "regret" it, it's small enough to hide, but it's not great. I also got a tattoo a couple of years ago and didn't wait long enough before going swimming (well, it was white water rafting but six and half a dozen, it still got wet), it messed it up really badly. It scabbed and peeled and got infected. I had to get it redone a year later.
    I'd seriously just wait until you're a little more mature. You might think you're a grown up now but wait until you're 18, or you risk regretting this for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    The reason the age limit is there is because you are still changing a lot physically and mentally at 16. You are more likely to think you want something that you later on won't, and more likely to grow which could distort and ruin the tattoo.

I know I'd hate myself if I'd been tattood with the things I liked at 16.
    Second that!
    You're better off waiting and I know it is SO frustrating but it'll be worth it when you hit 18

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC REN)
    You won't regret it for a while, and it'll probably end up being cheaper to remove tattoos some point in the future.
    Even if it does get cheaper (which I don't see why it would) it's still painful, time consuming (I mean months and months) and will probably scar.
    There's a reason the minimum age is 18 and it's so you understand the responsability of getting a tattoo and knowing it's going to be there for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalexi)
    Even if it does get cheaper (which I don't see why it would) it's still painful, time consuming (I mean months and months) and will probably scar.
    There's a reason the minimum age is 18 and it's so you understand the responsability of getting a tattoo and knowing it's going to be there for the rest of your life.
    To be fair the minimum age being 18 is pretty arbitrary. And the minimum age isn't 18 in Mauritius, and it's also a sort of cultural thing over there isn't it so it is a bit different to some kid over here getting one done.

When you're talking about the rest of your life the difference between 16 and 18 isn't really that much, and your preferences, etc, are still going to change A LOT between 18 and say 24 or something (not to say you won't change after that). And mentally, not physically (although given what OP has said he seems to have more or less physically matured anyway), you'd change a lot more than you would between 16 and 18.

And it's likely to get cheaper because we're likely to improve the technology in the future.

ReputationRep:
    especially since a wolf means a lot to me.
    I lol'd. That's deep.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.