Turn on thread page Beta

Want to get a tattoo but having trouble getting my dad to accept... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    An animal will not mean a lot to you at 16. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Why not just wait until you're 18...it's for life anyway, two years isn't going to kill you.
    But in two years she would have grown up and realised how rediculus a tatto is!

Btw, like the sig

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    But in two years she would have grown up and realised how rediculus a tatto is!

Btw, like the sig
    Tattoos aren't "rediculus."

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion they are tacky, but even if it is legal, wait till you are 18 so you can a) think about it more and b) show your dad that you aren't just doing it without thinking it through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    rediculus
    (Original post by metalexi)
    Tattoos aren't "rediculus."
    This ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    First off, that design is awful! Don't do it!
    I wasn't going to do that design, i actually have a friend (well my mums friend) who is an artist and also extremely intelligent (he will know how to include other signs etc)...
    But thats just an example of a tribal tattoo and the type i would like... i wouldn't want it to be 100% obvious that its a wolf...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    An animal will not mean a lot to you at 16. lol.
    I don't know if you know the significance of a wolf??

But they truly do represent everything that I feel about myself and how I interact with the world...

-Loner but still travels in groups
    -Introverted but still social enough
    -Relaxed but aggressive
    -A feeling of sophistication (well to me) - they hold them selves well
    -Passion and emotion
    -A certain sense of spirituality and connection with everything
    -Strong willed / persistent
    -Ability to move on
    -Strength
    -Family
    -I even get a sense of right from them as well as a raw beauty

For me all these are pretty important, and I am hoping that my mum's friend (an artist) will be able to show all of this through the tattoo - he will be designing it for me.

But a wolf has a lot more meaning to me (other things that I can't really explain) than like a scorpio sign (since I am a scorpio) or some sort of fish or eagle etc... I know it is clichéd but it does have significance to my life. It also makes me feel like i should work harder towards my goals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rick-Raith)

But they truly do represent everything that I feel about myself and how I interact with the world...

-Relaxed but aggressive
    -Passion and emotion
    -Ability to move on
    -Strength
    -Family.
    To be honest those traits you think you have in common with wolves could describe how most of the world like to see themself, theyre hardly personal. It sounds more general than horoscope.

Wolves are, according to wikipedia, very submissive towards their parents and wont challenge them so there's something you don't share

If you don't think you'll feel like a tit when you reach 40 or so with a dated cliched tattoo then wait until your dad accepts you're old enough to make your own decision which i would guess would be 18 or when you start supporting yourself financially. Getting the design done now so youve got a couple of years to see if you get bored of it is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subterfuge)
    To be honest those traits you think you have in common with wolves could describe how most of the world like to see themself, theyre hardly personal. It sounds more general than horoscope.

Wolves are, according to wikipedia, very submissive towards their parents and wont challenge them so there's something you don't share

If you don't think you'll feel like a tit when you reach 40 or so with a dated cliched tattoo then wait until your dad accepts you're old enough to make your own decision which i would guess would be 18 or when you start supporting yourself financially. Getting the design done now so youve got a couple of years to see if you get bored of it is a good idea.
    Ok, i realise most people would like to see them selves in the way i have just said, though it is hard to describe... like the traits are general, but try think of a different way of going about the traits... like i am emotional where I really feel everything way too much, and passionate that i refuse to give in to certain realities... But its more of an inner feeling...

But wont be such a clichéd tattoo, and wont get too old as it will be one of a kind

And apart from a wolf the only other thing I can think of is a phoenix... but we will see what my mum's friend comes up with, even if it involves something totally different... but still a wolf or phoenix mean way more to me than anything else at the moment... but phoenix still not so much

ReputationRep:
    Och, let the lad get a tattoo if he wants If he doesn't mind the potential cliche, then fine. I myself quite fancy a Peter Pan (my icon <3) tattoo but I don't think I would...
    xk

ReputationRep:

-Relaxed but aggressive
    -Passion and emotion
    -Ability to move on
    -Strength
    -Family
    -I even get a sense of right from them as well as a raw beauty
    Wolves aren't really like that though, and I don't think you can really claim that wolves "feel everything way too much" and are overly emotional or spiritual or even passionate. You've just made up a load of stupid anthropomorphised characteristics.

They are strong, and they mate for life so the family one is sort of true. The rest not really.

The only problem with this tattoo is that if you tell someone you got it because you think you are like a wolf then you'll sound a bit daft.

ReputationRep:
    All teenagers "feel everything too much". Another reason to wait until you're older.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

This might not really have anything to do with your answer but its still good info to include... I am 16, a swimmer and wanting to get the tattoo on my right shoulder blade. I am an all-rounded student in terms of academics, sports, culture etc so not a problem with lack of grades.

I am wanting a tattoo of a wolf in a tribal type theme, purely in black and white.

My dad has said for now it is a no, but it is still a slight maybe... I am going to get designs for the tattoo soon, but apart from that my dad thinks that tattoos are tacky, which i do not - especially since a wolf means a lot to me. He also believes many women don't find them attractive at all (but please do tell me if there is anyone who WONT date someone who has a tattoo).

If there is any argument you guys can help me with to sway my dad, please do.
    Your dad's opinion isn't important but you're not even legally old enough to get one at 16 are you? At least wait till you're 18.

And, as someone who has a lot of experience in the tattoo world (I have 19 tattoos personally) can I offer you some advice? Please don't get a tribal design - friends don't let friends get tribal tattoos. And please don't opt for a tattoo which "means a lot" - what means a lot to you at 16 will mean FA to you at 24 and make you look and feel a complete **** at 30.

ReputationRep:
    Wait until you're 18 then do what you want.

ReputationRep:
    My dad told me not to get a tattoo, but i wanted to so i got my birthday and his birthday entwined on my wrist thinking he couldnt complain. He still did but i dont regret it.

ReputationRep:
    Wolves to me; if you read the way i seem to have contradicted myself with the description, represent an almost contradiction anyway... they can be represented as gentle and calm, and other times as fierce and aggressive. You get lone wolves, but they also stay together every now and again... and though we can't tell whether a wolf is passionate or emotional.

According to Celtic tradition, Wolf represents learning, loyalty, intuition, loyalty and the shadow. He teaches people not to feel strength and power of self when alone and to learn about the deepest self by imparting spiritual assistance and courage. Wolf also symbolizes cunning, wisdom, searching, dreams, magick, intuition, transformation, death and rebirth, intuition and protection.

Native Americans believe that Wolf is teacher and pathfinder to find new ideas and teach them to the tribe. He imparts a sense of family and loyalty, Moon is the power ally which helps Wolf to access the subconscious that has the secrets of knowledge and wisdom. Wolf tells people to seek out solitude to find the teacher within the self so they can teach others about spirituality. He helps people to learn to trust insights when they learn to value the inner voice.
    True significance of a wolf in two different cultures... and though adding this on to my list, it will seem like i cannot make up my mind, but intuition is a major part of my life, I have been able to tell when something bad would happen WAY before it really does, eg- i was kinda dating this one person, we didn't talk everyday, but one day I had a bad feeling: she ended up saying yes to this other guy asking her out... though that actually happened 2 days after getting my feeling (all those days she didn't talk to me though anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    All teenagers "feel everything too much". Another reason to wait until you're older.
    Haha, nah i am being serious, like I have had to teach myself how to dumb down my emotions just cause they get really strong, whether good or bad... I used to have a major temper for no reason almost, and if someone got on my nerves for even a second i would lash out... though I am a lot more emotional than others... well in some respects...

Main feelings I get are love/lust, anger/hate (I have had to learn to dumb down the anger/hate, and in turn has made me lessen the amount i can love, until i allow myself to, then the anger is able to come back) Yin Yang kinda thing...

ReputationRep:
    key words and phrases of wolf traits

cautious( of strangers) but curious

elusive by nature

attuned to environment

family orintated

devoted

loyal

fearless

develop strong emotional ties

cooperative

playfull

social

intellegent

expressive communicators

loving
    other sybolism

ReputationRep:
    It's very "Twilight" and if you get that tattoo I can guarantee that this won't be the last time you hear that comment.

ReputationRep:
    Wolves to me; if you read the way i seem to have contradicted myself with the description, represent an almost contradiction anyway... they can be represented as gentle and calm, and other times as fierce and aggressive. You get lone wolves, but they also stay together every now and again... and though we can't tell whether a wolf is passionate or emotional.

True significance of a wolf in two different cultures... and though adding this on to my list, it will seem like i cannot make up my mind, but intuition is a major part of my life, I have been able to tell when something bad would happen WAY before it really does, eg- i was kinda dating this one person, we didn't talk everyday, but one day I had a bad feeling: she ended up saying yes to this other guy asking her out... though that actually happened 2 days after getting my feeling (all those days she didn't talk to me though anyway)
    Aye yer, but you aren't part of those cultures, and those cultures are doing the same by just giving wolves all these characteristics. Personally if I were you I'd get it, I just wouldn't go into all this "I think I'm a wolf" thing when telling people why you got it

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.