Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diesegeld)
    I put because the head grows proportionately with the body, i.e older seahorses have larger heads..
    lol

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE

Edit: Can anyone remember how to work out the magnification question? Hadn't looked at that since unit 1![/QUOTE]

yh i got 200000 for some reasons! but when i measured with my ruler i got 4.7..and didnt know what to do next so i just wrote 200000

ReputationRep:
    The question about no of amino acids for the given no of bases....what was the method?
    I divided...

How would you treat the control group differently?
    I wrote give the CG a placebo which will allow the scientist to know the effect of it.

I lost the final 6 marker, i thought it was another HSW as last time the last question was HSW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riiight.)
    Oh hi, I'd like to announce how easy this paper was, just to make everyone else feel worse!

No one cares.

4.25 I think.

Edit: Can anyone remember how to work out the magnification question? Hadn't looked at that since unit 1!
    Hey basically it was maginfication = image/actual.
    So with a ruler you should have measured the length in millimetres (cant remember what it was now lol) and divided by the value they gave you. However, the units are different so you have to convert millimetres into micrometres by multiplying by 1000. So you would have 100 X length you measured divided by the value they gave you. The answer should have worked out to 2400 times.

ReputationRep:
    I preferred the 3 markers!
    i hated the one markers in the exam! the questions were sometimes vague! the dissociation curve was definately wrong! it baffled me! there so confusing anyway! I need a B! im praying now!

the question about the stomata was confusing! I forgot exactly what it was but you had to find out how many stomata there was within the leaf! i wrote something about finding the area of the leaf using the sample, grr it makes me angry to think about some of the questions haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BringMeThatHorizon)
    So with a ruler you should have measured the length in millimetres (cant remember what it was now lol) and divided by the value they gave you. However, the units are different so you have to convert millimetres into micrometres by multiplying by 1000. So you would have 100 X length you measured divided by the value they gave you. The answer should have worked out to 2400 times.
    quite relieved, i got 2400.
    the amino acid one was something to do with "a given protein is 127 amino acids long" or something to that effect, work out how many bases the gene coding for it is made up of. so each amino acid is coded for by a triplet of bases, so just 127 x 3 = 381? thats what i got but i reckon i may have rushed/not read the question

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, thanks, that was a decent guess then. I got 240. I'll hopefully get 1 mark for working anyway, I had literally no idea how many micrometres were in a millimetre.

Thinking about it, 240x is no where near enough magnification to see inside a cell. Too late now though! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    the amino acid one was something to do with "a given protein is 127 amino acids long" or something to that effect, work out how many bases the gene coding for it is made up of. so each amino acid is coded for by a triplet of bases, so just 127 x 3 = 381? thats what i got but i reckon i may have rushed/not read the question
    Same answer as me. It said the minimum number of bases it could be coded by. So, assuming every triplet is an exon and no introns, that's just 127x3 like you said.

ReputationRep:
    :yep: i got 381.

ReputationRep:
    instead of multiplying by 1000 i divided by 1000 would I lose a mark for that? Would I just get the one. THanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgil)
    instead of multiplying by 1000 i divided by 1000 would I lose a mark for that? Would I just get the one. THanks
    Just 1 mark lost. Not to worry

ReputationRep:
    unrelated question...whats the best way to memorise a five page essay by 9.00am tomorrow??? omg reading and writing is not working as im worring so much about the bio exam i did today!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riiight.)
    Ahh, thanks, that was a decent guess then. I got 240. I'll hopefully get 1 mark for working anyway, I had literally no idea how many micrometres were in a millimetre.

Thinking about it, 240x is no where near enough magnification to see inside a cell. Too late now though! :rolleyes:
    Lol! Never mind. That question was 2marks so you probably still got one of the marks Just wondering, you know for the last question, did you need to tallk about immunology stuff and amino acid stuff or could you just get the 6 marks by explaining DNA hybridisation in a lot of detail?

ReputationRep:
    what was the answer to the question about tissue fluid and low concentration of proteins(i think) was it to do with osmosis???

ReputationRep:
    Lol! Never mind. That question was 2marks so you probably still got one of the marks Just wondering, you know for the last question, did you need to tallk about immunology stuff and amino acid stuff or could you just get the 6 marks by explaining DNA hybridisation in a lot of detail?
    i hope so cos thats what i did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taheki)
    Found it really easy..
    Oh, how wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 90% sure it said methods, not just one method. In which case you would have been able to get 4 marks (possibly 5) by just explaining one method in good detail. I think for the last couple of marks though you will have needed to mention DNA sequencing/amino acid order.

BTW, your name, it's after the band yeah?

ReputationRep:
    Theres 2 ways you can look at it, either go for the DNA hybridisation which should get 6 marks if you go into detail, or you can go with the albumin and rabbit experiment idea, but they may not give marks because immunology is unit 1 work

oh and the tissue fluid one was to do with osmosis and water potential gradients. If theres less protein present in the blood there'll be a smaller water potential gradient, meaning less water diffuses back into the capillary via osmosis at the venular end of the capillary, resulting in an accumulation of tissue fluid as more is being forced out of the capillary than is being put back in/drained through lymph

ReputationRep:
    I've got it all revised, if you need a hand drop me a pm
    i got about 4.13ish for the diversity, and standard deviation is the spread of data about the mean value. for the Taxol one i think the idea was to say Taxol is more effective than OGC (or whatever it was) but you cant draw a conclusion between Taxol and a combination of OGC and Taxol, though the graph showed the combined treatment slowed the tumour down more, the actual numbers showed they overlapped so you cant be sure which is more effective
    I never would of thought to say those things.. Oh god!!Also u no about what happens to the species diversity of the plants and animals by growing health did u say that they both decrease? as in animals like hedges - habitats are cut down to increase the amount of land.. blahh! And with the plant question on the very first page - was that directed at the cellulose cell wall? As thats what i put.. I know it sounds silly - i do not want results back at all.. and what were the two things about the mice? Was that like they shud be from the same genetic background if u no what i mean.. and the fish question.. was like abit that they have a large surface area? And like countercurrent flow cud take place?

ReputationRep:
    I definitely need to watch my key words next time for some reason i put reduced concentration gradient instead of WP although i did go on to elaborate about the two water potentials

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.