Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I was looking through my psychology textbooks and I stumbled across this idea that more than 70% usually believe they are above the average in intelligence and all that. And it got me curious about whether this could be linked with arrogancy...

Now I'm not talking about the openly-arrogant individual that goes around shouting about how much better they are in comparison to other people, but the more subtle forms which is reflected in statements like "mass society is XYZ - I would not make that choice." or perhaps even choosing to hang out with certain individuals. Example: The idea of selecting friends, occasionally questioning friendships with people might be seen as being picky, and some could argue that this behaviour is being arrogant.

What do people think?
    Does it really matter to be arrogant in that sense?

ReputationRep:
    Am I arrogant? No. In fact, I am the least arrogant, most modest person in the world. Ever.

ReputationRep:
    probably not arrogant. relatively smart though; but i do think im more integgilgent than the rugby tackling apes at my college

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't have any flaw at all.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting point. I saw that comic before, and I actually can relate to it. I think it's natural for people to feel like they're exceptional in some way compared to others as they're the ones who are conscious of themselves. Whether that's arrogance, hmm not sure. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Slightly yes. But it is difficult to draw the line between confidence and arrogance. Often people who do not have confidence see you as arrogant.

For example, if I were to go in/come out of my maths exam tomorrow and say I found it easy, and think I've more than likely got a B or whatever I would get called arrogant. For some obscene reason any confidence with your ability is portrayed as arrogance and pisses me off.

But it would only be those that found it difficult, god forbid somebody might find something easy that you found hard. Oh no, they must just be arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess I am a bit. I'd say my intelligence was a bit above average but I do have evidence.
    I agree that speaking of society's ills as if you are above such nonsense is arrogant but you can't complain about anything without being a little holier-than-thou.
    My policy is it's ok to think you're better than others to a certain extent as long as you keep it to yourself and admit your weaknesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    So I was looking through my psychology textbooks and I stumbled across this idea that more than 70% usually believe they are above the average in intelligence and all that.
    A person that considers him/herself intelligent... IS NOT.

(Original post by Tombola)
    subtle forms which is reflected in statements like "mass society is XYZ - I would not make that choice."
    Despising mass society has nothing to do with being arrogant.
    It is socially proven that people in group will behave differently. For example, I do believe that the "mass society" is retarded, ignorant and apathetic - but this is not (only) because the individuals are like that. Individuals become like that when they are in a mass society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Slightly yes. But it is difficult to draw the line between confidence and arrogance. Often people who do not have confidence see you as arrogant.

For example, if I were to go in/come out of my maths exam tomorrow and say I found it easy, and think I've more than likely got a B or whatever I would get called arrogant. For some obscene reason any confidence with your ability is portrayed as arrogance and pisses me off.

But it would only be those that found it difficult, god forbid somebody might find something easy that you found hard. Oh no, they must just be arrogant.
    Exactly :yep: I'm not arrogant at all, I just know my worth and I'm confident. Some people think I'm arrogant, but I don't give a damn :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    Am I ****.
    Your sig is :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    I'm the greatest person that has ever lived, so it's only natural that I'm arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    Theres nothing wrong with arrogance as long as its used for positive ... a negative arrogant **** with no common sense will become the bain of your life.

ReputationRep:
    I would say I am, yes.

I hated the trait before I developed it, but now I believe it to be a good thing. That said, I don't like the idea that I might be coming across as arrogant to other people - I'd prefer it to be an inward thing, but I don't think it is.

ReputationRep:
    No, I think i'm pretty average really.

Maybe. But it's usually justified

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frieza)
    A person that considers him/herself intelligent... IS NOT.
    The question was above average. I think I can see why people see themselves as "above average"

ReputationRep:
    Yes, justifiably so.

ReputationRep:
    I do have my arrogant times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    No, I think i'm pretty average really.
    :ditto:
    sometimes think I'm a bit weird, but most times I think I'm not so different from most people.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.