Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are you arrogant? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frieza)
    That doesn't mean you're intelligent. It actually means you are NOT intelligent.
    You know, the ability to calculate and study like a monkey does not agree with intelligence.

WTF, a crossword is just a matter of knowldge.

Intelligence, my definition at least, is the ability to interact with situations completely new.
    It is therefore not measurable, because

- no situation can be completely new.
    - for all problems a good degree of luck is involved.
    Congrats on feeding the troll.

ReputationRep:
    The other day a teacher told me that I was 'arrogant' and the sort of person who thought I was 'better' than others , just because I was sat on a table and not a chair ! This woman didn't even know me , she was just a cover teacher who'd been taking the class for like ten minutes. She said that 'people like me' would never get anywhere in life . Personally I think she was being a **** and she was just jealous of me because I'm young and have my whole life ahead of me , and she was just a fat , greying cover teacher ¬¬ Grr.

ReputationRep:
    I am, or at least was, incredibly arrogant. It is a fault I have tried to address in myself. Whilst correcting behaviour is one thing, changing one's whole outlook on the world is enormously more difficult. A self-built pedestal is a lonely place to be.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'm pretty arrogant.

Not much more I can say, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    So I was looking through my psychology textbooks and I stumbled across this idea that more than 70% usually believe they are above the average in intelligence and all that. And it got me curious about whether this could be linked with arrogancy...
    It's not so much arrogance, but more of an aspect of healthy self-esteem.

It's natural and positive thing to have self-serving bias and illusory superiority.

ReputationRep:
    I feel arrogantly clever just knowing (without doing any psych courses) that it is the lake wobegon effect (didn't even need to wiki).
    That said, it's worse that pretty much everyone thinks they are above average at "being an amateur psychologist" and reading people's faces etc.
    It's to do with people singling out one thing they are good at (e.g. spelling) and extrapoalting to everything or something like that is it not?

ReputationRep:
    If you're not at least a little bit arrogant, then you've probably got undiagnosed self-esteem issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frieza)
    That doesn't mean you're intelligent. It actually means you are NOT intelligent.
    You know, the ability to calculate and study like a monkey does not agree with intelligence.
    WTF, a crossword is just a matter of knowldge.
    Intelligence, my definition at least, is the ability to interact with situations completely new.
    It is therefore not measurable, because
    - no situation can be completely new.
    - for all problems a good degree of luck is involved.
    The crossword thing was a joke btw although it does require you to make connections between facts that really aren't obvious. I quite agree with you that it is impossible to measure intelligence. But a bad system of quantifying it is better than no system at all and it seems that society needs some way of catagorizing people in terms of their intelligence (in so far as it can be measured). Anyway It seems that different types of intelligence exist. Interacting with new situations is all well and good but if you can't think logically or you can't learn anything than you might be percieved as stupid. Your view of it is limited as interacting with new situations forms a very small part of our experience and more scientific breakthroughs come from looking at old knowledge in a new way.
    But anyway may I ask if you yourself are stupid? If not (as i suspect from your cogent arguments) then why not? and if you are then why? If you were asked to produce evidence what would you say? Let's compare answers. If your answer to the latter is an anecdote of a situation where you encountered newness and prevailed over it then that would be answer enough.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very arrogant, a side effect of being better than most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drukarale)
    Am I arrogant? No. In fact, I am the least arrogant, most modest person in the world. Ever.
    Haha! Love it. :')

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm very intelligent and good looking. I try to mask my arrogance, though (in real life that is, clearly not on tsr!).

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.