Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm from the North East of England, and will start off the post with a sterotype that applies to me - my favourite food is the chicken parmesan, which is colloquially referred to as a "parmo".

What I want to know is...have non-northerners heard of this dish? I was on a summer school recently where nobody had heard of it (presumably because nobody was from Middlesbrough, Hartlepool or Stockton where the thing originated).

For those interested, here's the wiki page on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmo

ReputationRep:
    i just clicked on the link, no offense but it looks/sounds disgusting =\ just the amount of fat is eurgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKin2U)
    i just clicked on the link, no offense but it looks/sounds disgusting =\ just the amount of fat is eurgh
    Why would I be offended? Hah Each to their own. The website greatly exaggerates the fat/calorific content - there is no way a normal person could finish off one the size they indicate there. I normally split one with two friends.

ReputationRep:
    unknown here in devon but a similar dish is often eaten in south america but it hasn't got a specific name

(Original post by CKin2U)
    :yes: Too much cheese.

I eat escalopes sometimes, and I quite like them, but I think they (Asda) uses chedder instead of parmesan, and it's a lot less than the amount in/on the 'parmo'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    :yes: Too much cheese.

I eat escalopes sometimes, and I quite like them, but I think they (Asda) uses chedder instead of parmesan, and it's a lot less than the amount in/on the 'parmo'.
    #

Generally the ones made where I am use both types or cheese, and cheddar is actually more common in my experience.

(Original post by thechosennerf)
    #

Generally the ones made where I am use both types or cheese, and cheddar is actually more common in my experience.
    :beard: Do you still use loads of cheese?

ReputationRep:
    ...yeah, sorry. It's kinda the point :P

ReputationRep:
    aaah, the only good thing the north east has produced...even if it is a rather simple concept

ReputationRep:
    My bf lives near Middlesbrough and I'm from London, I'd never heard of them before he told me about them. I quite like them, we order ones with ham and pepperoni on top definitely couldn't eat one to myself, can't even eat half when I share with him!

He hadn't heard of saveloys either and I got to introduce him to those when he came to London. Everywhere should sell saveloys and parmos!

ReputationRep:
    I'm the only guy down south at uni who's heard of a parmo lmao

ReputationRep:
    Sounds disgustingly delicious!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vamp1reWeekend)
    aaah, the only good thing the north east has produced...even if it is a rather simple concept
    I quite like the angel of the North

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechosennerf)
    I quite like the angel of the North
    yeah that's true (:
    i don't like the accent at all though i'm starting to get it i think

ReputationRep:
    Parmos are rank I've never had a good one

ReputationRep:
    I have heard of chicken parmesan, but it normally looks like this: http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...ed=0CCIQsAQwAw

I guess yours is the *******ised version.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh the mighty parmo, although I'm not from their true heartland, Boro, I'm from Darlington so I've had one or two in my time; I'm sure ASDA were going to be launching them nationwide at some point, and one of the takeaways here at uni (Lancaster) have started doing them now! I always taunt my non-North-East mates about them, never admitting that they're not quite as great as I make out!

ReputationRep:
    Just ordered a large one with chips, ******* lovely

ReputationRep:
    yeah I make it and had at camp in the states but its alot healthier than the version posted . we coat the chicken in parmesan cheese breadcrumbs bake it in the oven and then it is topped with marinara sauce and mozzerella and put under the grill till the cheese melts. really really tasty and usually served with salad or small portion of pasta.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.