Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I would like to go into some sort of graduate scheme when I leave University. Consulting is my main aim however I think the Sigma Leadership roles at BAE systems looks quite good and the roles at Llyod's insurance! Anyway, I was wondering how good someones CV ( experience etc) has to be? Obviously I will be applying for the summer internship at one of the consulting firms or BAE or Llyods Insurance next year.

My personal achievements/experiences are-

-Set up my own small business (introduced me to persuading new customers, going to meetings, meeting new clients etc)
    -Experience in two Business Consulting firms and running my own project from one of these firms
    -Captain of my football team (Leadership skills)
    -University Course Rep
    -Weekend job in Business Development at a top North West logistics company

Part Time work included working at a supermarket on tills which introduced me to working under pressure and being flexible by doing shift work etc.

Anyway, I know some of the above may be irrelevant.. what do I need to avoid putting down? And are my experiences actually any good?

Also, do I need to put down things such as interests or any other activities? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Also, when you apply to these firms that ask for 340 UCAS points etc, how do they actually know that you have them? Do you have to send certificates or do they just believe you? I was just wondering, I do have 340 so I'm OK

ReputationRep:
    any other companies doing respected leadership type/sigma stuff like BAE that have v.strong reputation (like GE's Financial Management Program in USA)?

ReputationRep:
    Where are you studying? No offence, but those ECs aren't out of this world...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Where are you studying? No offence, but those ECs aren't out of this world...
    What would you suggest adding/doing? What are your ECs that you have down and why are they particularly good?

and yes it is still me, last account effed up

ReputationRep:
    Your ECs are very good, but they're not mind-blowingly outstanding. I think you could still do with a strong internship, which, more importantly, you may be able to convert into a job offer.

A lot will also depend on your academics. Your university, the course you're doing, and the grades you get on it are extremely important. You haven't said much about this.

You're doing OK so far, but don't get complacent about things. There are hundreds of other graduates out there with these kinds of experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entrepreneur_NO1)
    What would you suggest adding/doing? What are your ECs that you have down and why are they particularly good?

and yes it is still me, last account effed up
    The only thing I'd want to know about if I were an interviewer is your work experience and how successful the company you started was etc... Part time jobs and being a course rep aren't impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    The only thing I'd want to know about if I were an interviewer is your work experience and how successful the company you started was etc... Part time jobs and being a course rep aren't impressive.
    Ahhh right, I was just thinking to actually get an interview, these sort of things would be of use and then whilst in the interview, the questions would be answered with experiences of the project at the consulting firm etc.

What sort of ECs does everyone have?

ReputationRep:
    Noone particularly cares about whether you worked at Iceland or Tesco on the weekend. And unless you did something massively influential, like changing the course, during your time as course rep.. its effect will be negligible.

the things you should emphasise and dedicate more time to on your CV are the consultancy experiences and the start up business. Any other involvement in finance, young enterprise etc is useful but not necessary. But like i said, scrap the ECs that are just standard summer/term time work that you did just so you can get some money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bramlow)
    Your ECs are very good, but they're not mind-blowingly outstanding. I think you could still do with a strong internship, which, more importantly, you may be able to convert into a job offer.

A lot will also depend on your academics. Your university, the course you're doing, and the grades you get on it are extremely important. You haven't said much about this.

You're doing OK so far, but don't get complacent about things. There are hundreds of other graduates out there with these kinds of experiences.
    Thank you

I'm doing Business Management at Newcastle University and averaging a 1st at the minute (early days yet I know).

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.