Danielle16
For My As Levels, Ive Taken

English Language
History
Media
Sociology

What Do U Think Of Them?

And Also, Is There Anyone Else Who Does Any Of These Subjects

I think the only one that might be labelled 'mickey mouse' is media studies, but I still don't think this is mickey mouse. I think they are all reasonable and fair subjects.
Reply 2
I think it would have been better if you were doing somthing like a science as well such as maths or physics but then what I do I know.

English is certainly not a micky mouse subject nor is history. I've never seen any of the specifications for media studies though so I really cannot comment.

My sister does sociology its not rocket science from what I've seen but the exams are hard so you still need to work very hard to get a decent pass grade.

I did the most micky mouse course ever though :smile:
Reply 3
Danielle16

English Language
History
Media
Sociology

What Do U Think Of Them?

They are not bad at all. I think it's quite a good choice - variety.
Reply 4
amazingtrade
I think it would have been better if you were doing somthing like a science as well such as maths or physics but then what I do I know.

English is certainly not a micky mouse subject nor is history. I've never seen any of the specifications for media studies though so I really cannot comment.

My sister does sociology its not rocket science from what I've seen but the exams are hard so you still need to work very hard to get a decent pass grade.

I did the most micky mouse course ever though :smile:

WHAT SUBJECTS DID YOU DO? AND I DONT THINK MEDIA IS MICKEY MOUSE AND LOTS OF PEOPLE SAY UNIS DO NOT RESPECT IT AND ITS THE WRONG ROUTE FOR JOURNALISM, BUT AT UNI IM GOING TO DO MULTI MEDIA JOURNALISM AND THEY REQUIRE MEDIA STUDIES. DON'T YOU THINK IT'S A BIT UNFAIR TO LABEL THEM EASY IF U HAVEN'T TAKEN THEM?
Reply 5
gemgems89
They are not bad at all. I think it's quite a good choice - variety.

THANK YOU :smile:
YOU'VE CHEERED ME UP, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MANY POSTS IVE READ THAT CALL MEDIA AND SOCIOLOGY EASY.
Reply 6
History is hard, I have much respect for anybody who could do that because I know I couldn't.

I'm going to be uncool now, and say you can't compare media to the sciences Danielle, they're just plain harder.
Reply 7
Yes that is why I said:

"English is certainly not a micky mouse subject nor is history. I've never seen any of the specifications for media studies though so I really cannot comment. "

I didn't say anything about media studies being micky mouse or not. I simply said I haven't seen what is required of media studies so I cannot comment at all.

PS What kind of multimedia do you?
Reply 8
Danielle16
THANK YOU :smile:
YOU'VE CHEERED ME UP, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MANY POSTS IVE READ THAT CALL MEDIA AND SOCIOLOGY EASY.

No A-levels are easy. Do what you want to do, even if other people regard them as "micky mouse" subjects. Eng lang and history are well respected. And then media and sociology provide variety and they are subjects you want to do, I presume.
Reply 9
You could argue that Media is one of the most relevant topics in today's world.

However, it is still not as highly regarded as the more traditional subjects and it isn't the best or easiest way into journalism.
Reply 10
fishpaste
History is hard, I have much respect for anybody who could do that because I know I couldn't.

I'm going to be uncool now, and say you can't compare Media to the sciences Danielle, they're just plain harder.

but how do you know you couldn't do it , have you taken it before? i think media is harder than history, history is simply facts and fugures , and alot of knowledge. Media is very spontaneous, whereas with history, you can more or less predict the essay questions/source questions.
Reply 11
I dont think media is that welll regarded by unis nor sociology. WHich journalism school are you going to that wants media, most people I know who have done journalism havent needed it. A lot of unis dont even like you to have it at all. Its like a lot of unis dont want law Alevel or Psychology Alevel to do law or psychology degrees.
Reply 12
Lets just say that none are micky mouse subjects this is because you will have the same amount of A's being given out at teh end, so you do have to work hard for it.

But if you took them up for Uni, then I have to say that you are deluding youeself. Fir now, it is not a mickey mouse subject
Reply 13
Danielle16

English Language
History
Media
Sociology

What Do U Think Of Them?

there not mickey mouse there just lesson studies
Reply 14
Danielle16
but how do you know you couldn't do it , have you taken it before? i think media is harder than history, history is simply facts and fugures , and alot of knowledge. Media is very spontaneous, whereas with history, you can more or less predict the essay questions/source questions.

I think History takes a very critical mind able to answer questions effectively, which is what makes it one of the harder subects.

Take a media question from an AQA paper:

Present a detailed reading of one film OR one broadcast fiction text you have
enjoyed.
Explain its appeal to you and the pleasures it offers audiences.
(You may wish to consider some of the following: narrative devices and
structures, film or broadcast fiction techniques, the appeal of characters or
stars, identification with themes or issues, escapism.)

Surely this is just common sense, throwing in a few concepts and terms you learnt on the course?
Reply 15
viviki
I dont think media is that welll regarded by unis nor sociology. WHich journalism school are you going to that wants media, most people I know who have done journalism havent needed it. A lot of unis dont even like you to have it at all. Its like a lot of unis dont want law Alevel or Psychology Alevel to do law or psychology degrees.

its bournemouth university, not a journalism school. Uni's respect most subjects apart from general studies. So i don't think it's very fair to say that they are not respected. You have to consider individual career routes, if you wanted to be a chef, you would opt for food technology, just like if u wanted to take up forenzic science, you would pick science or biology.
Danielle16

English Language
History
Media
Sociology

What Do U Think Of Them?

The first 2 are certainly not mickey mouse, dunno anything bout the other 2.
Reply 17
Danielle16
its bournemouth university, not a journalism school. Uni's respect most subjects apart from general studies. So i don't think it's very fair to say that they are not respected. You have to consider individual career routes, if you wanted to be a chef, you would opt for food technology, just like if u wanted to take up forenzic science, you would pick science or biology.

Universities really will discriminate against subjects, and have no shame in doing it. Many will refuse to count business studies, Nottingham refused to count my economics Alevel. Leeds are refusing to accept double maths as two subjects for the best courses. Happens all of the time.
Reply 18
fishpaste
Leeds are refusing to accept double maths as two subjects for the best courses

WTF? Are you sure? That is so wrong.
Reply 19
I don't think it is fair to say that Media studies is micky mouse however looking at than exam question it is not exactly rocket science. In many ways its rather like Business Studies which I found easier than GCSE maths!

Somthing like physics however is a lot harder. I am not saying media studies is easy especialy if you want a good grades but as far as respect goes? maths or media studies? Well maths will probably win the day.

Latest

Trending

Trending