Turn on thread page Beta

Do U Guys Think My As Subjects Are 'mickey Mouse' watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I think History takes a very critical mind able to answer questions effectively, which is what makes it one of the harder subects.

Take a media question from an AQA paper:

Present a detailed reading of one film OR one broadcast fiction text you have
    enjoyed.
    Explain its appeal to you and the pleasures it offers audiences.
    (You may wish to consider some of the following: narrative devices and
    structures, film or broadcast fiction techniques, the appeal of characters or
    stars, identification with themes or issues, escapism.)

Surely this is just common sense, throwing in a few concepts and terms you learnt on the course?
    i can understand what you are saying, but it may seem easy to you because you haven't taken the subject and do not know what's required of it. Im predicted an A for history AS, and an A for media, but media is harder, take these two questions for instance

AQA MEDIA
    Analyse the way in which two british newspapers select, construct and present news to their readers

ED EXCEL HISTORY

What can you learn from Source A about the events of 1906 in Russia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    WTF? Are you sure? That is so wrong.
    Well, I say this, a guy in my double maths class applied for Dentistry there, with double maths and chemistry, AAA and he had a Biology AS at A too, he was rejected. He assumed it was because he dropped his Biology at AS, but when he asked for feedback they said they expected him to be taking 4 Alevels as they didn't see double maths as being equal to two Alevels.

ReputationRep:
    Physics maybe a lot harder, but there is stilll a grade boundary. So even if the subject is easy you have to work harder to get the grade.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I say this, a guy in my double maths class applied for Dentistry there, with double maths and chemistry, AAA and he had a Biology AS at A too, he was rejected. He assumed it was because he dropped his Biology at AS, but when he asked for feedback they said they expected him to be taking 4 Alevels as they didn't see double maths as being equal to two Alevels.
    That is like shocking :eek: :eek: Im sure Double maths was respected by a lot of people. Becaues thats why most of our keen epople (including me) do it. So we have a better chance of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    Well speaking as a postgrad who had friends at undergrad and now studying journalism and broadcast media subjects most employers and unis for that matter when they make offers do not regard media as an academically challenging subject. I'm not saying that assumption is correct but that this assumption does exist.
    I know this because of the standard of people that got accepted into my uni and jobs that my coursemates have got in the media.
    The best route into journalism is to either get a job straight from school or do a degree in any subject often journalism isnt even necessary and do tons of work experience and then if necessary do a journalism postgrad. If you look at the people that have the top jobs in journalism many of them dont have degrees and all have done tons of work experience often from the age of 16. It is an incredibly difficult subject to get into. look up journalism on a job website and you will see what they require how few jobs there are and how poorly it is paid. You are in now way guaranteed a job doing a journalism or media course at bournmouth. Where are they ranked in the league tables? Have you looked at the percentage of grads employed in the media after the course.
    If you really love media as a subject for A Level do it because it is what you want, but dont do it if you assume it is a good avenue into journalism. it isnt!
    Journalism is one of the most competetive careers out there so if you do choose the degree route into it, its important to get into the best uni there is available for that course and get as good grades as possible and get tons of work experience. Have you had work experience yet?
    I have graduate friends working for local newspaper and local radio on less than £12,000 per year.

I realise you are probably going to think i am talking crap but i am offering you the benefit of my experience as I wish someone had done for me before I took my A Levels and made my degree choice.

ReputationRep:
    all i can say is my school and the unis I have applied to (most) for my course take sociology and media stds to be micke mouse subjects, BUT if you need them/the are accepted for the course you want to study, then who cares??!!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they just wanted more varity. Its still crap though. The problem is you are just so damn good! They talk about falling education standards what bloody falling education standards!!

If this forum is anything to go by in the next ten years time the UK will be full of geniuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Physics maybe a lot harder, but there is stilll a grade boundary. So even if the subject is easy you have to work harder to get the grade.
    that is very true, why is it then that unis discriminate against subjects. I am aware that unis do not like for you to have taken law at A level if you want to take it up in uni, but surely it's good to have law.

ReputationRep:
    OK lets look at it this way:

If you were the employer would you use that person with those sort of subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle16)
    i can understand what you are saying, but it may seem easy to you because you haven't taken the subject and do not know what's required of it. Im predicted an A for history AS, and an A for media, but media is harder, take these two questions for instance

AQA MEDIA
    Analyse the way in which two british newspapers select, construct and present news to their readers

ED EXCEL HISTORY

They both seem tackleable.

Compare to a maths of physics question though, in my P3 paper I had to integrate tan^4 x dx, and I wasn't given any substitution or anything, I could do it with my eyes closed now, but at the time it's really hard stuff. To do it you would have to be very confident with the syllabus, and the standard integration techniques, and have a real mathematical gift to know which trig identities to use, which substitutions to use. Really hard stuff..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle16)

AQA MEDIA

ED EXCEL HISTORY

I feel obliged to point out that the edexcel history question quoted here is the first question, and thus the easiest and worth the least marks, on the entire paper. The latter questions are a lot more difficult and require a lot better inference and historical judgement skills, as well as the final 'essay' question, which is quite difficult. Incidentally, I did the edexcel Russia 1905-1917 history module last summer.

ReputationRep:
    They both seem tackleable.

Compare to a maths of physics question though, in my P3 paper I had to integrate tan^4 x dx, and I wasn't given any substitution or anything, I could do it with my eyes closed now, but at the time it's really hard stuff. To do it you would have to be very confident with the syllabus, and the standard integration techniques, and have a real mathematical gift to know which trig identities to use, which substitutions to use. Really hard stuff..
    So what do you do now? Instead of intergrating interesting things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Hypothetically, let's say people who take physics have a higher IQ,*ducks bombardment of rocks* .. then the absolute intelligence required to get an A in physics would be higher than that to get an A in media. Of course, I'm sure that isn't the case, so my point is null =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    OK lets look at it this way:

If you were the employer would you use that person with those sort of subjects?
    yes why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    That is like shocking :eek: :eek: Im sure Double maths was respected by a lot of people. Becaues thats why most of our keen epople (including me) do it. So we have a better chance of getting in.
    It is respected, as long as it's a 4th subject

ReputationRep:
    Yes, thats right it will be the 4th subject. So phew.

ReputationRep:
    I do double maths and only 3 A-levels, doesn't bother me so much though, since I want to do Maths

I can't see why it's not considered as a whole A-Level in it's own right, after all, it is one of the most demanding subjects that you can take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    So what do you do now? Instead of intergrating interesting things?
    Integrate MORE interesting things. Actually right now we're doing reduction formulae so we're integrating very uninteresting things.

You do double maths, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    Integrate MORE interesting things. Actually right now we're doing reduction formulae so we're integrating very uninteresting things.

You do double maths, don't you?
    Yes. But we are doing the Mechanics modules first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I do double maths and only 3 A-levels, doesn't bother me so much though, since I want to do Maths

I can't see why it's not considered as a whole A-Level in it's own right, after all, it is one of the most demanding subjects that you can take.
    It certainly is. It's not like doing P6 is a doddle just because you've done P3. It's an equally demanding extra Alevel worthy of that status.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.