Turn on thread page Beta

Do U Guys Think My As Subjects Are 'mickey Mouse' watch

ReputationRep:
    what viviki makes a lot of sence and is good advice. One thing about the sciences is that its very easy to get jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Having taken both History and Media at AS, I can say that media studies appeared easier while I was doing it, but I actually got a better grade for history. (media was my only B grade, which was irritating) The main key to history is a good memory, especially for the A2 part, where you have to remember historical interpretation and historian's viewpoints as well as all the dates and facts. You also need to be good at writing essays for both subjects.

And people keep saying that none of the top universities respect media, but I've had offers to study politics at both Nottingham and Sheffield with History, Media Studies and Film Studies for my a levels.

At the end of the day, do what you want to do, not what you think other people want you to do. It probably would have looked better on my UCAS form if I'd carried English Language to full A Level instead of Media Studies, but I hated the subject, so I dropped it, and I have no regrets about doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle16)
    For My As Levels, Ive Taken

English Language
    History
    Media
    Sociology

What Do U Think Of Them?

And Also, Is There Anyone Else Who Does Any Of These Subjects
    Nice subjects, but I doubt there will be a good job for you at the end of it (unless you plan on becoming a teacher).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    Nice subjects, but I doubt there will be a good job for you at the end of it (unless you plan on becoming a teacher).
    :confused: thats well harsh and totally unjustified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    :confused: thats well harsh and totally unjustified.
    I totally agree. The kind of job would depend a lot more on the kind of degree you got. And with good grades in any three of those subjects at A Level, I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get into a good uni somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Not English Language! Nooo! I do it, the only subject I took for fun. Fair enough, the workload is A LOT less than that of English Lit or Lang & Lit, but it's a lot more applicable to life, and might prove more useful in the long term!

Jo xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuniperBlue)
    Not English Language! Nooo! I do it, the only subject I took for fun. Fair enough, the workload is A LOT less than that of English Lit or Lang & Lit, but it's a lot more applicable to life, and might prove more useful in the long term!

Jo xx
    english language is interesting! Well i think so anyway, and what somebody said earlier about me not being able to get a good job with my subjects is very funny! It depends on the career you want to take up you dufus.

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion 'micke mouse subjects' are thing that dont requuite much thinkin eg leisure and tourism or health and social care or possibly geography. i dont think media is really.

ReputationRep:
    I say do what you want to do. Just because you don't enjoy/want to do a science, doesn't make you less intellegent or wrong. As long as you're happy doing your courses, that's what's important. I do Drama at Uni and get a lot of stick for it. It upsets me, but at the end of the day it's all I've ever wanted to do, so why should I pretend to be something I'm not? Enjoy your A Levels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moochy)
    in my opinion 'micke mouse subjects' are thing that dont requuite much thinkin eg leisure and tourism or health and social care or possibly geography. i dont think media is really.
    Geography requires a lot of thinking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Geography requires a lot of thinking
    and colouring in
    No I kid,
    I've applied to six journalism courses, (one joint with Communication Studies) and I've got A-Levels in Media Studies, Film Studies and Communication Studies. AS-Levels in Engish Language and Psychology.
    And...at the moment I'm taking Spanish, Sociology and French at AS-Level. Sociology is pretty easy as it's really just the numbers from Media and I can speak French very competently plus we've been informed that our speaking exam person is not native which will only aid me! Spanish however is another matter

ReputationRep:
    Your subjects look good to me, and I certainly don't think there's any harm in taking Media Studies, particularly in conjunction with more 'academic' subjects like English and History. However, Media Studies isn't absolutely necessary for a career in journalism. I've done countless work experience placements since I was 14 and have always asked the people I work with whether Media Studies A-levels/university courses were well-regarded within the industry. The responses I've got have been quite mixed and most people were open to employing candidates with these qualifications - but the general consensus was that a mix of academic A-levels (definitely English) and then a general academic degree, topped up with lots of work experience, was preferred. I don't think you're closing any doors here though, as most of the people I spoke to were nowhere near as scathing as the media would have you believe. There was one journalist with an English degree who even said if she had her time again she'd take a Journalism/Media degree - but she was the exception rather than rule. There's such a mixture of pathways into journalism though, so if you're determined and good at what you do, hopefully you can succeed.

ReputationRep:
    For My As Levels, Ive Taken

English Language
    History
    Media
    Sociology

What Do U Think Of Them?
    Media and Sociology are extremely easy compared to th sciences and media is has no value, I know that many good universities say that it can not be considered an a-level. Loads of friends do Media and they, plus the teacher say that is a very easy course.

History is hard for science and maths students but again in comparison it is easy.

I would say that English Literature is the only worthwhile subject you are doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supreme)
    History is hard for science and maths students but again in comparison it is easy.
    Could you please explain this point.

History is definately a worthwhile subject.

ReputationRep:
    Having taken Media Studies for AS Level, i can say that yes i think it is a mickey mouse subject. i only took it as i needed another subject to do, as i knew that i would drop it, and thought it would give me a good chance of getting a good grade. However it is good if you want to advance into degree level in something like Journalism and stuff.

sociology, i took for a GCSE (god how long ago does that feel!!) and i thought it was fairly pointless.

Other micky mouse studies include golf course design!!! how silly!!

ReputationRep:
    i must say the general impression im getting from this forum as a whole is that many people seem to think the only subject worth doing is Maths...no wonder we have people worried about whether their subjects are 'mickey mouse!' for gods sake there are thousands of people our age who don't even do alevels, let alone 4 or 5 of them! of course your subjects aren't mickey mouse, some people find different things harder than others, nobody has any right to call them mickey mouse. i personally would love to have studied something like sociology, my best friend does it and i think its a fascinating subject.

i will say though that, although i haven't studied either, it appears that Media and English lang have alot of similarities- my friends doing english lang have done a lot of analysis work on newspapers/adverts etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    i will say though that, although i haven't studied either, it appears that Media and English lang have alot of similarities- my friends doing english lang have done a lot of analysis work on newspapers/adverts etc
    Do you really think so? I did both last year and didn't find them all that similar. A lot of the media this year has actually been very simliar to sociology, especially the module on representation of gender and race. I've really enjoyed it this year, it has been really interesting.

And I really don't think that media studies is any easier than subjects like government and politics- it's just that stuff like politics are seen as being a more "respectable" subject matter. History is probably a bit harder, but then again I got a higher mark in history than I did in media.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Frances]Do you really think so? I did both last year and didn't find them all that similar. A lot of the media this year has actually been very simliar to sociology, especially the module on representation of gender and race. QUOTE]

like i said, i haven't studied either, so not really qualified to comment i guess, just giving my opinion on what ive seen/heard.

oh and supreme......she's taking english lang, not lit! and its harsh to say its the only worthwhile subject she's doing- might not be worthwhile for you, but every person is different, and wants different things out of different subjects. i'm takin eng lit AS, a lot of people think im mad for doing it, but i get such a kick out of it, i personally find it a lot more fulfilling than chemistry, which i couldnt wait to drop

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=priya]
    (Original post by Frances)
    Do you really think so? I did both last year and didn't find them all that similar. A lot of the media this year has actually been very simliar to sociology, especially the module on representation of gender and race. QUOTE]

like i said, i haven't studied either, so not really qualified to comment i guess, just giving my opinion on what ive seen/heard.

oh and supreme......she's taking english lang, not lit! and its harsh to say its the only worthwhile subject she's doing- might not be worthwhile for you, but every person is different, and wants different things out of different subjects. i'm takin eng lit AS, a lot of people think im mad for doing it, but i get such a kick out of it, i personally find it a lot more fulfilling than chemistry, which i couldnt wait to drop
    I guess you do do a lot of analysis in both, but you're looking for different kinds of things. media actually links in with a lot of other subjects, which is one of the reasons why I like it so much.

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to do History, English Lit/lang, French, Economics and Drama. I would say it is so narrow-minded to suggest that History is easy..by whoever said that. How is history easy? Everybody on this forum loves maths, and physics which i agree seems difficult, but if everybody took maths and chemistry and physics because it was "recognised", there would be no variety in the country at all. Okay when you do Chemistry..what books do you read? Books made by people who can write analytically, and critically, or can put things simply and concisely. How is this mickey Mouse?

This argument could be relentless and incessant. People feel threatened to take what they truly feel interested in because of being labelled mickey mouse. OKay i understand that maybe universities discriminate against people with say, take Media Studies, but even places such as Oxford discriminate against people with 5 A's, whatever the case there is always discrimination, mainly down to sheer competition and trying to distinguish who is better, and if it comes down to subject choices they do it...but you would get into uni with 3A'S in the subjects easy. The orginal poster should be proud they are capable of achieving good grades at AS/A2 and not to feel their subjects are inappropriate...afterall they are A levels...
    What's better enjoying a subject..learning something worthwhile and getting good, or taking, say Maths for the prestige knowing you will fail?

To be honest this argument is boring and repetitive...TAKE WHAT YOU WANT AND BE PROUD.Take what you enjoy and let people argue over it, at the end of the day you will be successful..how many people don't have qualifications and do well?

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.