(Original post by Danielle16)
    For My As Levels, Ive Taken

English Language
    History
    Media
    Sociology

What Do U Think Of Them?

And Also, Is There Anyone Else Who Does Any Of These Subjects
    it all depends what u want to do with them?

ReputationRep:
    I was told by the glasgow university admissions officer for social sciences that it was still worth applying there with media studies, as they treat it no differently to how they would any other a-level.

A friend of mine, however, was told by UCL that she should drop it at AS and continue with geography, english lit and politics.

It depends on the university, I guess.
    ps Whoever said english lang and media studies are quite similar- I agree, to an extent; they have, in ways, complimented each other this year(AS).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Yes. This is true. The step up is nothing like P2 to P3, and it's more enjoyable than the first year. Very gratifying Maths.
    But not for everyone, huh?

Just as Eng lit/ history is not for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    This tedious and mindless repetition of the term 'mickey mouse subject' indicates how relevant to today's society 'media studies' actually is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I think it would have been better if you were doing somthing like a science as well such as maths or physics but then what I do I know.

English is certainly not a micky mouse subject nor is history. I've never seen any of the specifications for media studies though so I really cannot comment.

My sister does sociology its not rocket science from what I've seen but the exams are hard so you still need to work very hard to get a decent pass grade.

I did the most micky mouse course ever though
    So, you'd get a 'A' in a'level sociology if you attempted it?

(not directed at you personally) people have different talents and interests. Why do so many people have trouble accepting this? Why do so many people expext others (when it comes to education anyway) to be clones of themselves? Why do certain people seem to think that studying anything beyond the realms of their own expertise is somehow worthless?

Education is about expanding the mind, not just about what job you'll wind up in at the end of it all.

I don't think the original poster has anything to worry about. She's doing three other a'levels for heaven's sake!

ReputationRep:
    i thinks your subjects are good. however many people think that textiles is a mickey subjects. especially when i say that i'm doing Business and English. they go "oh it good to take one easy subject".... :mad: it is not east!!!!!!
    very time consuming!!!1

Don't insult History! :mad:

I'm not doing English but i know that it's a well respected subject. I'm also doing sociology and i think that this is less respected then the history or english, but it isn't too bad, media i must admit i consider as a flunk subject, but i don't know as much about this as employers so don't take what i say to heart.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    *cough* look at the date this thread was started *cough*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Yeah, but it seems to be a timeless subject.

Why can't you really DO Mickey Mouse Studies anyway? <switch>'That would like totally rock'.</switch>

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Crap, i really should start looking at that sooner before i just reply to whatever is at the top of the general forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    It certainly is. It's not like doing P6 is a doddle just because you've done P3. It's an equally demanding extra Alevel worthy of that status.
    Hmm, I can see why they won't accept double maths as two separate A levels if you're off to do a rather unmathematical degree. But anything relevant (chem/physics/Egnineering/Maths etc) should accept both!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Crap, i really should start looking at that sooner before i just reply to whatever is at the top of the general forum.
    Whenever the thread was started, this faux academic hierarchy is something that extends beyond the poster/specific thread itself.

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on guys - this thread is old and there is a much more comprehensive one in the academic section.

MB

(Original post by musicboy)
    Oh come on guys - this thread is old
    We've established that.

ReputationRep:

English Language
    History
    Media
    Sociology

What Do U Think Of Them?

there's nothing wrong with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Oh come on guys - this thread is old and there is a much more comprehensive one in the academic section.

MB
    wooops i just realised that now!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Good Choice !

ReputationRep:

English Language
    History
    Media
    Sociology

What Do U Think Of Them?

Im gonna b in y11 in sept, so i no nothin bout as levels, but i think that ur subjects r pretty good. U have thought realistically about what u enjoy and what u may be good at and have come up wth a fair and reasonable result. Go ahead! Media is not a dos as it does lead to many high paying jobs which are all competitive to get into, so i dont think its a bad choice. also, half the people who say its a dos havnt done it and shudnt judge cos they may not be able to do it at all! It really irritates me to see people overloading them with the sciences and maths because they are just trying 2 prove a point that they r better, and 1/2 of them only end up as teachers anyway, not doctors!

GOOD LUCK GIRL! Hope it all goes well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icetopaz_h454)
    Im gonna b in y11 in sept, so i no nothin bout as levels, but i think that ur subjects r pretty good. U have thought realistically about what u enjoy and what u may be good at and have come up wth a fair and reasonable result. Go ahead! Media is not a dos as it does lead to many high paying jobs which are all competitive to get into, so i dont think its a bad choice. also, half the people who say its a dos havnt done it and shudnt judge cos they may not be able to do it at all! It really irritates me to see people overloading them with the sciences and maths because they are just trying 2 prove a point that they r better, and 1/2 of them only end up as teachers anyway, not doctors!

GOOD LUCK GIRL! Hope it all goes well!
    Most people do subjects because they enjoy them and are good at them not because they want to show off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supreme)
    Most people do subjects because they enjoy them and are good at them not because they want to show off.
    I no dat, but alot of the time people who do chem, bi, phy, mat etc do look down on those who don't which is understating them a little bit

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.