Turn on thread page Beta

Well sorry this is a long read, but here is some history to this thread.
    -I previously enjoyed and achieved well studying Biology at my Secondary school -People in my IB Biology class are now concerned that they haven't covered enough syllabus/the teacher is covering unnecessary topic/teacher isn't sticking to syllabus and is running out of time before the exams
    -I revised all the way through my Christmas break for my Biology mock and came away with a grade 3 which is my lowest ever grade
    -I chose to speak with my Biology teacher about my problem

The conversation went like this:

Me: Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me what score my points got on my test

Teacher: That gives you a 3

Me: Well that's a terrible score for me isn't it considering I revised all the way through Christmas

Teacher: Yes

Me: Oh well thanks

(I leave the room, and then re-enter after realising I might have left on a bad note, even though upon reflection I don't think I did)

Me: Erm, I'm sorry if I sound so stressed, I'm just having some issues with Biology

Teacher: Like what?

Me: Well I'm a bit frustrated that I've revised so much and seen no improvement. I don't know what I'm doing wrong (My eyes begin to water since the teacher is giving me a filthy look)

Teacher: Well there's nothing we can do

Me: Can I say something that I really don't wish to offend you with? It's just about the syllabus?

Teacher: Yes

Me: (Crying at this point since teacher is being very sharp and snappy)... well it's just that I feel somewhat confused about how the syllabus has gone so far, what practicals we're doing and how much we've covered. Again I really don't mean to get on your nerves but...

Teacher: Well you are getting on my nerves

Me: (Crying a lot, teacher is now raising his voice at me).... I don't think I'm alone in this, I'm just so stressed about Biology, it's really getting me down, I revise and revise and just don't know where I am

Teacher: Go away I don't want to speak to you while you're crying

Me: I'm sorry I don't meant to offend you, I just need to speak with you about the course

Teacher: Raises voice even more telling me to go away and calm down

(Teacher continues to raise his voice and tell me off for crying while refusing to talk to me) I continue to beg him not to walk out of the class room and leave me there. (I am crying a lot at this point)

--------------

Basically now my teacher is mad at me and refuses to talk to me just because I was nervous about what I had to say. When people ask him questions in class he really talks them down, so it took a lot of guts for me to say anything to him at all. Now he's just mad at me for crying and refuses to talk to me

I really would just like ANY advice. Maybe even a hug. Fml.

ReputationRep:
    :console:..
    revise youreslf and try and push it..when you get your grade spray paint 'mother fcuker' onto his car

Don't take it personally-he obviously has a lot of issues.Students forget teachers are human too and perhaps he may be going through personal stresses eg marriage breakdown.However thats no excuse to not fulfilling his job description-try going to your year tutor or class rep

ReputationRep:
    he shouldn't get away with treating you like that - you came to him to find out how you did on a test you tried hard for and he shouts at you for crying!
    I would tell someone about this as this doesn't seem acceptable for a teacher

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, that's not very professional. Do you have another biology teacher at the school you could go to and ask? It's the same syllabus, you just landed an unsympathetic teacher who refuses to explain it to you. If not, you could go to a teacher higher up and explain your concerns, someone you know who will listen. It's important you sort it out!

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    big big hug from me!!

But honestly, look at this, this way:

Often people become uncomfortable when other people are crying, esp teachers and students

How was your relationship with this teacher before?

This was a bio mock. Not the real thing. If you study the course, you will do fine. Sometimes things dont go the way we planned eg your bio mock, but do your best and if you dont understand something, go ask help from another teacher.

Lastly, perhaps you should have gone to the head of bio or something to discuss this issue.

Consider that maybe the teacher had a bad day.

but dont worry, it will all be great im sure! also talk to some friends for support. I had an issue with my teacher once, but it all mellowed out

ReputationRep:
    I wonder who recommended that he become a Teacher.

Honestly, from what I've read about him, I don't think he made the best Career choice.

Are you sure there are no other Biology Teachers at the school, who can help you with your work. If so, then ask them to give you a hand.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Speak to your head of year. Say he was very impolite and doesn't seem to be interested in helping students to do well. Can't make things any worse. Or first speak to him calmly some time and insist that he address the issue and ask him not to raise his voice if he shouts. Be brave but polite (like ridiculously polite, you must be blameless). Maybe have a friend stand outside or come with you.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same issue with my geography teacher this week , I swear he doesn't know the syllabus... I ended up crying too, so awkward

Some teachers are just crap! Just try to do the best you can with what you've got. Also lots of the time people do better in the real exam than mocks etc. adrenaline helps me focus anyway + luck
    Good luck and try not to let it get you too down

If he does anything else unprofessional speak to yor tutor or someone too x

Getting good revision books/past papers and the textbook for when you really don't get stuff helps, and how about the specification? It should tell you everything that needs to be covered

ReputationRep:
    Try crying more, see if it placates him?

I'm only joking. Kill him.

To be honest, I'd be annoyed if a sweaty student started crying in front of me. Lucky you did'nt get a slap.

ReputationRep:
    What a ****. By saying, "Well there's not a lot we can do", he's not even doing his job properly. He's a teacher, he's there to help you. To be honest he should go through the mock with you and advise you on what you did wrong and how you can improve. I'd complain, particularly about his behaviour towards you.

ReputationRep:
    If that was me I'd have been shouting my head off at him, he sounds like a total ****

Frankly, what I'd do is turn the whole class on his back and try to force the ******* out.

Get all the guys who don't give a crap to give him hell the whole time.

You might fail the subject, but you'll have a laugh along the way....

ReputationRep:
    How old are you?

(Original post by Bhav_Singh)
    Basically, do this:

-Speak to your head of biology.
    -Get a sharp tool and scratch the **** out of his car.
    -Revise yourself, maybe get a tutor if u have to.
    -Dont let a teacher like that make you cry etc.. cos you just want a good grade on the test in the end, so don't let him get to you.

AND REMEMBER - SCRATCH THE **** OUT OF HIS CAR AND WHEN YOU HAVE FINISHED YOUR EXAMS AT THE END OF THE YEAR BEAT THE SH.IT OUT OF HIM.
    Thanks so much for your reply, but he is the head of Biology, but I do take your advice. The last bit sounds nice. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    I wonder who recommended that he become a Teacher.

Honestly, from what I've read about him, I don't think he made the best Career choice.

Are you sure there are no other Biology Teachers at the school, who can help you with your work. If so, then ask them to give you a hand.
    You've hardly read anything about him, though, and what you have read about him was (obviously) biased. It's a bit short-sighted to judge his career choice with what you know of him.

What's with the capitalization of 'teacher' and 'career', by the way..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I really would just like ANY advice. Maybe even a hug. Fml.
    why did you cry? I mean why can't you tell him without crying? He would have told you to go out and calm down because if someone else sees you crying while with that teacher they would misunderstand. That's why he would have told you to go out.

If the teacher is not good get a good biology tutor or move to another school. I hope your alright now. Well why don't you like tell him next time you meet that he is not sticking to the syllabus or complain to the principle. Take it easy! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Why do Students let Teachers/ Lecturers shout at them still !?

When i get told off by a lecturer i raise my voice a little and talk very stern to let them know who the fudge is boss up in this piece up in here !!

ReputationRep:
    you cried infront of your teacher, nuff said

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.