Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Priority)
    why did you cry? I mean why can't you tell him without crying? He would have told you to go out and calm down because if someone else sees you crying while with that teacher they would misunderstand. That's why he would have told you to go out.

If the teacher is not good get a good biology tutor or move to another school. I hope your alright now. Well why don't you like tell him next time you meet that he is not sticking to the syllabus or complain to the principle. Take it easy! :yep:
    I cried because he raised his voice at me, I was feeling stressed and I found him very imposing. I cannot move school because we are the only school in the area which offers the IB and I am 3 months away from my final exams. I started the conversation very calmly with him and it just deteriorated because he wasn't willing to hear anything that I tried to tell him. As for people misunderstanding, I'm pretty sure he knows I was trying to talk to him about biology, and I don't see what misunderstanding they could make

ReputationRep:
    What a ***** dont let it get to you

just go to lessons do the work ignore her try and self teach the rest of syllabus im sure you can do it i done this with some of my A-levels and just dossed around in lessons and came out with decent grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    You've hardly read anything about him, though, and what you have read about him was (obviously) biased. It's a bit short-sighted to judge his career choice with what you know of him.

What's with the capitalization of 'teacher' and 'career', by the way..?
    Okay, let me reiterate. I never claimed to know a great deal about the teacher in question, all I said was "From what I've read about him".

Usually when people posts threads they provide a certain amount information. We comment on these Threads based on what information the OP has provided. In this case, the OP provided a script which described what happened and what was said during her encounter with the teacher.

There is absolutely no point in me disagreeing with the information the OP provided, because I don't know the OP nor the teacher. Yes, I may have doubts about whether or not the information provided is accurate, but without being there, I can't nescessarily disagree with what the OP said. I'm simply working with what information the OP provided, nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, and about capitalising "teacher" and "Career" - it's a habit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks so much for your reply, but he is the head of Biology, but I do take your advice. The last bit sounds nice. :p:
    My Biology teacher who is the head of Biology also is a right ****!

I messed up my AS for bio - and then he made us sit a test in class and said that if I got a B - i would get the B prediction that i needed - I worked hard, got a B (every1 else failed) and he didnt give me my prediction :mad: - so he lied to me..grr stupid!!

ReputationRep:
    I cried because he raised his voice at me, I was feeling stressed and I found him very imposing. I cannot move school because we are the only school in the area which offers the IB and I am 3 months away from my final exams. I started the conversation very calmly with him and it just deteriorated because he wasn't willing to hear anything that I tried to tell him. As for people misunderstanding, I'm pretty sure he knows I was trying to talk to him about biology, and I don't see what misunderstanding they could make
    well when I say people would misunderstand means like when you cry in front of him....when people see this they would think that he abused you or something. Never mind. Forget it. Don't be afraid this time. Take a friend or friends with you if you think you can't handle this alone and tell him like....sir I just went through the syllabus and i think you taught us a lot more than whats here...something like that. Don't just say your not sticking to the syllabus. But anyway only three months left for exam so why don't you find a private biology tutor or buy some text books and study by yourself. Revise a lot and do a lot of questions from books and past papers the more time you spend on revising the better you will be!

ReputationRep:
    Before I start, I just want to say i'm completely on 'your side' in this, but as someone who used to teach I don't want to jump on the 'vandalise his property and ruin his career' bandwagon. The fact is, yes he was being unprofessional from the sounds of it, but teachers have to walk a fine line between stern and compassionate, and when you have the choice of the two you are basically taught to be the former - when it comes to dealing with someone crying especially that is difficult to deal with, as understanding as teachers are meant to be, I don't really know what you expected your teacher to do by the time you started crying, because quite frankly it is a pain in the arse.

Don't get me wrong, your education is clearly important to you, but you have to remember that this teacher probably has hundred(s) of pupils education to worry about - especially if he's the head of department, so someone who seems like they are basically crying over a mock is hard to take seriously. If anything he sounds as if he's forgotten that even though you are just a name/face to him, he's basically a lot more important to you. Not all teachers are naturally caring/understanding/compassionate etc. I know when I was teaching that is exactly how I came across, but in reality i'm a bit of **** who has little time or patience for emotional people.

Saying all that, when a pupil basically tells you they have difficulty revising and dealing with syllabus you should do something about it - in my opinion you should already have a plan to deal with pupils who are struggling - especially if you're head of department, but I suppose I never had that kind of responsilbility.

I'd advise that you speak to whatever your equivalent of a form/personal tutor is about it - it's kinda what they are there for.

ReputationRep:
    ok he was mean, fair enough...but why were you crying?!

(Original post by Thrasymachus)
    Before I start, I just want to say i'm completely on 'your side' in this, but as someone who used to teach I don't want to jump on the 'vandalise his property and ruin his career' bandwagon. The fact is, yes he was being unprofessional from the sounds of it, but teachers have to walk a fine line between stern and compassionate, and when you have the choice of the two you are basically taught to be the former - when it comes to dealing with someone crying especially that is difficult to deal with, as understanding as teachers are meant to be, I don't really know what you expected your teacher to do by the time you started crying, because quite frankly it is a pain in the arse.

Don't get me wrong, your education is clearly important to you, but you have to remember that this teacher probably has hundred(s) of pupils education to worry about - especially if he's the head of department, so someone who seems like they are basically crying over a mock is hard to take seriously. If anything he sounds as if he's forgotten that even though you are just a name/face to him, he's basically a lot more important to you. Not all teachers are naturally caring/understanding/compassionate etc. I know when I was teaching that is exactly how I came across, but in reality i'm a bit of **** who has little time or patience for emotional people.

Saying all that, when a pupil basically tells you they have difficulty revising and dealing with syllabus you should do something about it - in my opinion you should already have a plan to deal with pupils who are struggling - especially if you're head of department, but I suppose I never had that kind of responsilbility.

I'd advise that you speak to whatever your equivalent of a form/personal tutor is about it - it's kinda what they are there for.
    Thanks for your advice, and while I definitely understand your reply and intention I'd just rather he didn't raise his voice at me because I began to cry. I wasn't crying because of my mock, but because he made me so nervous/was so abrupt.

As for what I expected him to do, I just didn't need to be talked to in such a way/made to feel worse for asking advice of him.

But I've taken your advice along with my friends and I've just mailed my tutor.

Cheers x

ReputationRep:
    Why did you start crying? Did someone recently die in your family or something?

ReputationRep:
    God I can't stand people like you.

ReputationRep:
    yeah you sound as though you're old enough not to take something as trivial as this so seriously. and from the conversation you sound like a hormonal 14 year old.

i read the post and i don't understand why his remarks, however rude, made you cry. I would have just said "Right, thanks for nothing" and walked out. :dontknow:

Some people are more emotional than others?

Maybe it was this teachers tone of voice or the looks they were giving.

People going on about you crying being wierd is sort of bugging me. Sorry, we can't all be tough cookies and deal with stress and frustration with a hop and a skip.

OP- I really feel for you. I was in a similiar postion last week except my teacher didn't even give me a chance and pretty much told me I had no chance of passing my exam and wouldn't let me carry on going to lessons. Just me, nobody else in my class despite me not being the only one to do bad. I'll be there sitting the exams with everyone else regardless of what he thinks.

Hope it works out for you!

ReputationRep:
    Biology teachers are the worst for it I'm sure... I think it's because the superior sciences like to wind them up. Sucks about crying, never done it myself but it's not a nice feeling I'm sure and it's cruel for folks to tease you for it.

I would suggest writing a letter? As long as it isn't soaked in teardrops or blood when he receives it...
    email them about your problem instead.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a wettie, maybe grow a pair and learn to have an adult conversation before you get it into your head that you should be able to achieve in an academic exam.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's teachers like that which made me hate school so much, sorry but he shouldn't be in that job if he talks to you like that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.