Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Computer Science: Glasgow or Strathclyde watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had any offers for computer science at glasgow or strathclyde?

ReputationRep:
    Hey.

This doesn't actually answer your question, but I'm a first year doing Business Info Systems at Strathclyde if you have any sorta quesions regarding the CS degree or stuff

(my course follows 4 of the compulsory modules in the ordinary CS Degree and 5 in the MEng CS degree. So it pretty much is the same for first year, there's also the elective which is the 6th class.)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Just got an unconditional for strathclyde

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that the course at Glasgow involves much more programming and after 2nd year it is more like hell but that means things are covered in depth therefore I vote - Glasgow!

ReputationRep:
    Well I can tell you at Strath they changed the course structure starting with this year. The classes you/we do for the standard CS are:

CS101 - Topics in COmputing (I don't have it)
    CS103 - Machines, Languages and Computation (stuff like recursion, etc)
    CS104 - Information and Information Systems (So far we've looked at creating wiki articles and stuff)
    CS105 - Programming Foundations (only real practical work, I find it very very tricky )

and an elective.

The MEng and BIS have MS151 instead of CS101, which is Harnessing Tech for Business (ways to use tech in business environment etc)

So yeah, they probably have way more practical as their course structure is different. I'm probably planning on changing course at the end of the year as I find prrogramming just too difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by javjamoll)
    Well I can tell you at Strath they changed the course structure starting with this year. The classes you/we do for the standard CS are:

CS104 - Information and Information Systems (So far we've looked at creating wiki articles and stuff)
    CS105 - Programming Foundations (only real practical work, I find it very very tricky )

and an elective.

The MEng and BIS have MS151 instead of CS101, which is Harnessing Tech for Business (ways to use tech in business environment etc)

So yeah, they probably have way more practical as their course structure is different. I'm probably planning on changing course at the end of the year as I find prrogramming just too difficult.
    No Maths modules?

ReputationRep:
    Erm, not any straight maths ones. CS103 takes stuff like proof by induction etc, which requires a little maths, I think its in AH Maths? I also thought there was a straight maths based module, but no!

Oh, I also forgot a class, CS106 which all courses also get. This is a class on Computer Hardware and stuff. Logic Gates and stuff. Can get quite confusing!

Contact time - its 2 lectures per module per week. 3x2hour labs (one for CS103,CS104,CS105) and 1tutorial for CS105.
    If you have MS151 you get 2lecs and a tutorial every fortnight aswell.
    CS101 is the only one which has a 3hour block per week which is different than the 2lecs and a lab etc.

Basically its about 20odd hours per week!

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Still waiting on an answer from Strathclyde.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, CS With Law has mow changes to it. They do CS 104,5 and 6. Then 3 law side classes. Not sure which as I dont really speak anyone doing it.

You also hav PPD, urgh!! Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by javjamoll)

and an elective.

What are the choices of electives like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura1111)
    What are the choices of electives like?
    Sorry, took so long to reply!

Um, if you go here, http://local.cis.strath.ac.uk/teachi...ml#Timetables_

and scroll down to electives, there is a list of popular ones people generally take from CS courses. But I think you can basically take any class you want aslong as its possible and a first year class.

I took Marketing an mine, which was allowed. I know people doing French, Enterprise etc. Many MEng and that take Topics in Computing as its recommended.

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just seem that they're holding UCAS interviews today at Strath.

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional for strathclyde ... any idea if lectures are recorded by Amy chance?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm Glasgow is rated a better course, plus they are far better in research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefanb)
    As far as I'm Glasgow is rated a better course, plus they are far better in research.
    Do you really think you'll be on the cutting edge of academic research throughout your entire undergraduate degree course? 4th year if you're lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delaney)
    Do you really think you'll be on the cutting edge of academic research throughout your entire undergraduate degree course? 4th year if you're lucky.
    You'll be taught by those who are working on it, so you'll be ahead of other graduate from other uni's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefanb)
    You'll be taught by those who are working on it, so you'll be ahead of other graduate from other uni's.
    Not unless you're doing a topic on something the lecturer has researched and that topic is a part of the undergrad curriculum, surely?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.