The Student Room Group

How often do you go home from uni?

My friend has been going home every weekend since his first year :s-smilie: . I thought this was strange but he seemed to think it was pretty normal.
I only went back twice before christmas and im only an hour and a half away from home.

Just wondering how often most people go back home?

Thinking about it I don't think he'd miss much on the social side as all most people seem to do is sleep/work at the weekends. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmm its certainly not what the average student (in my experience) does.

I go home once in October for my birthday, christmas, once inbetween new year and easter, easter, then thats me till the end of year.
I go home quite often...not as often as every weekend but I have been two weekends in a row on some occasions. I mainly go to see my boyfriend and plus keep my mum company as she's now at home on her own (she's a widower).

It isn't all that strange, sometimes people have jobs at home, there are various birthday parties, family events to attend or people are just realy close to their family. No one shouldn't judge you on the amount of times you go back home, only you'll miss a couple of days where not much goes on. My uni can get pretty dead at weekends for the very reason that lots go home.

It also depends on priorities and how long or how expensive it would be to travel back.
Reply 3
I go home Christmas and Summer, this year might be going for a few days over Easter too. My mom generally comes to visit sometime before Xmas and sometime between Xmas and Easter (although if I go home for Easter that's not going to happen).
And I thought I was home plenty. But then again, I'm from abroad.
Reply 4
My sister comes home most weekends, but that's mainly to see her boyfriend and to get away from her housemates.
I just go home for the big holidays (Christmas, Easter and Summer) and spend time with my friends there. I'm thinking of going back for a few days before easter as there's some games at my house I need to trade in.
Reply 6
This past semester I went home four times. This semester I might go home a couple of times and then go home again at Easter.
pretty much went home every weekend in semester 1, had things to do and go places. but gonna go less in this semester as it just getting a bit of a waste of money.
My flatmate went home every weekend, it was very strange to me, as it was the one time we actually had free time and might have spent it together (we're doing labour intensive courses so our timetables we're ridiculous during the week). Because of that, we never really got past 'vague friends', which is a shame.

I go home maybe once every 5/6 weeks. It'd be more, but my boyfriend is at a different uni and I often have a chance to see him at the weekend instead of going home, and I'd choose to see him. Also, my flatmate this year is my best friend (and her boyfriend is one of my others!), so it's nice to stay in my little london flat with lots of friends around :smile:
Between terms. That's about it. Only other times have been particularly special occasions like my grandad's 90th.
Never went home last term except at the end for Christmas. Don't plan on going home this term until I have to.
Not often enough. So far this year I went back in November for the weekend and then at Christmas I was there for Christmas day and left boxing day morning because I had to work. Although I would more class where I live now as "home" because I live with my boyfriend and will be staying here after I finish my degree, but it would be nice to be able to go back and see my family more often. It's just that it's a 3 hour drive or by train it's bordering on 4 and a half to 5 hours due to changes and it costs Β£43.70 for a return ticket and that's WITH a railcard.
LittleBill
Between terms. That's about it. Only other times have been particularly special occasions like my grandad's 90th.

That video in your sig really disturbs me...
I go home bout once a month. Last term I used the train - it was a 4 hour journey which was a bit of a pain, but I haeve a car now (again) so I can drive next time, which will reduce travelling time to about 3 hours. :smile:
I go home most weekends.
This is because I see my boyfriend, who i wouldn't be able to see any other time, and I also have a lot of family I need to see.

Plus, I have a saturday job near my house which, even though it's only Β£50 for the day, I wouldn't want to give it up, as that's my food money for the whole week!!
When I go to uni I'll probably stay at uni one weekend and go home the other - mainly because of my boyfriend who will still live near my home. Second year I probably won't go home as much because I'm planning to live with my boyfriend.
Reply 16
I went home during my reading week and at Christmas, this term probably just for Easter but that's not set in stone. It depends on work etc.. I don't go home much but then I live 6 hours away, dont drive and it's costly to get home and not easy to do just for a weekend.

Saying that I have mates at uni who do go home every weekend to see their partners/families or because there job is there. It's down to personal preference and what works best for the person involved tbh.
I go home every week (Thursday/Friday) for driving lessons, it's a bit of a burden but I just wanted to finish what I'd started. I still have time to do studying, especially on the train, social life isn't effected but it's rapidly digging into my savings. :s-smilie:
Every 3 weeks and in my reading week; I'm 2 hours away, direct train. :yy:

That said, on the weekends I stay at uni, I don't do anything :ashamed:. I should change this. :hubba:
Bobo1234
That video in your sig really disturbs me...

The second is even worse.

Quick Reply

Latest