Turn on thread page Beta

How often do you go home from uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    I go once every 2-3 weeks - it's only just over an hour away so that's easily manageable. It's nice to escape the university bubble once in a while, and I'm close to my family and to friends at home. Don't feel I miss out on a lot socially, uni is pretty quiet at the weekends

It's not 'weird' how ever much you go, whether very frequently or very rarely, people just like and need different things

ReputationRep:
    When I go in September, I'll probably go home for the first few weekends, just due to homesickness really. When I went to the university's open day, the student ambassador said most of the students are from the South West so they go home most weekends.

ReputationRep:
    I live at home but most people I talk to on my course at uni go home every weekend...

ReputationRep:
    A long weekend every two or three weeks, but I can get home in about an hour by car. Uni is pretty dull most weekends.

ReputationRep:
    I don't. I went home literally for a week at Christmas and don't intend to go back til summer now really. I prefer being at university so much more than being home and have got used to the independence here.

ReputationRep:
    I have to either fly or get a 4+ hour train to go home, so I plan to only do it once mid-term and then go up during my breaks. I envy those who can go home whenever they want to.

ReputationRep:
    In my first year, i went home quite often, this year, i went home for my birthday and Christmas. this term, im only planning to go home at easter and in may for my Dads 50th and a concert! i dont really feel the need to go home as much as i did, so i save my money and i dont. however my parents do come up and visit me im only about 2 hours on te train so its not too bad, but having to go through london does push the prices up

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at university yet, but I can see myself going home every 1-2 weeks. I'll be two hours away from home (direct train) and I can imagine I'd like to escape London and the university lifestyle for a few days. Plus, I'm quite close to my family and I can imagine I'd miss em! I think I'd go home less as the year went on and as I start to make more of a life at university.

I've been told by some people who are close to those at home that I should spend the first month (at least) at university to establish myself there. That sounds like a good plan for me; Freshers week/enrollment is two weeks at King's and then I'd have another two weeks to start my course and get into a routine.

ReputationRep:
    I went home for reading week and one weekend last term, and christmas. I also went home last weekend for my best mate's birthday. I tend to make people come and see me instead =P.

I think it's all down to personal preference, but I think not going away much really helped me get settled here and make friends and stuff and I don't really miss home at all. Plus it's expensive and time consuming to get there. I'm not really planning on going home until easter now.

ReputationRep:
    I go home every day because I live at home, but I get the impression that's not really the response you wanted.

Of my friends who live at uni, a couple of them go home every weekend, one goes home every two weeks and one only goes home on holidays. It's variable, really.

ReputationRep:
    Go home every 7 weeks. Nice time period imo.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It depends on any circumstances.

I go home once near Christmas, once near my birthday, usually for my parents' birthdays and my sister's birthday... sounds about it :p:

ReputationRep:
    Since I started in September, I've been home twice. Once was for 4 days during reading week, then for 3 weeks at Christmas. But then, I do live a 4 hour train ride away and I hate having to take the train. I really enjoyed being home for the holidays, but it was hard going back to living with the family when I'd got so used to living independently.

ReputationRep:
    I go home very often. I only live 12 miles away but wanted to live at uni initially for more independence. To my surprise though, I ended up getting into a relationship at the end of August last year and my boyfriend lives near to my parents, so I'm actually hear more than my house in Manchester! As a result I'm paying to live here AND to live there and I'm not going to be able to afford it much longer, also I haven't really gotten to know my housemates very well, or people on my course. Bit of a bummer really, but these things happen...I'm 21 and I've done all that uni clubbing drinking crap 3 years ago anyway, it's not my thing anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I go home pretty much every weekend purely because i still have a job at home, and it's only an hour away from uni. Planning on getting a transfer for 2nd year so i can actually have free weekends!

Hardly even see my parents when i'm home anyway. I'm home friday afternoon, mum usually works friday nights. Work 8-6 on saturdays, 8-12 on sundays and straight on the 1pm bus back to uni! I get back and everyone is pretty much asleep or doing the work they should have been doing all week So i don't really miss much! Flatmates understand though, if i didn't have a job and could afford things without one i would definitely go home less.

ReputationRep:
    When I get kicked out of my room ^^ (Christmas, Easter, summer)

ReputationRep:
    Im starting uni in september and think my move in day is around the 10th and freshers week ends around the 17th which will then be my first week in the course, i have a family wedding around the 26th of september so will be having to come home (uni will be 2 hours away) i was hoping to leave it a long tim before going home so i can settle in and make friends properly, but cant help family wedding, do you think it would be unwise to come home for the weekend 3 weeks in uni? thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Every other week or so.

I don't really think there is enough to do at uni to stay their 7 days a week for a term at a time.

Even working enough to get 2.1s in most of my assignments, going to the gym and plenty of socializing, there are still so so many hours in a day where there is just **** all to do lol. And to some extent only being around people who are in exactly the same situation and basically the same age as you might give you a bit of a closed off view of life.

Although I imagine that for people who hate being at home and don't have a partner to get back to would just get a job for the weekends and do far more societies and activities than I do.

I think there are two types of people. The ones who are going to uni as part of their life, and those whose life is uni.

I know some people who have left home, go to uni, and say 'this is my life now' - to the point where they've lived in their uni city over the summers working and have only gone home for the odd Christmas lunch and birthday.

However other people go to uni, but keep touch with their family and their friends, are happy to spend their full holidays at home living their life, and for whom uni is somewhere they 'study at' and live at for 6 months of the year.

ReputationRep:
    I go home as little as possible, it's not really "home" to me I dislike it a lot and i'm not the type of person who would go back a lot to visit family.

I might get bored sometimes at uni, but i'd be a hell of a lot more bored at home!

I just think it's a bit weird when people want to go home all the time, but suppose I envy them having somewhere they enjoy going back to that much more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    When going to university, I plan to go home as little as possible. My mum is abandoning the house to go live in Australia for a few months, so I probably won't head back at all, or maybe for christmas but definitely not summer, easter etc. The only reason I would go home is to have some quiet time away from it all and I only live about an hour or so away via train. It really is based on circumstances and whether or not if you want to go home and see your family and friends back home. Some go home very often, others, like me, plan to really move out forever and not come back. I won't make university most like like most do but it's just compensating time with doing things you enjoy such as joining societies and going into the nearby city and whatever else you like to do. I think I'll be much happier at university than at home, it's so easy to envy those who have a welcoming family at home waiting for them but what can you do apart from make the most out of it?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.