heya! we have a prac tok orals in 2 weeks and i really want a good topic to do my oral on...any advice? cheers
x Turn on thread page Beta
TOK Topics watch
- Thread Starter
- 19-01-2010 17:41
- 19-01-2010 20:07
You can't go wrong. TOK presentations are easy
Whatever you do you must NOT:
- Pick a contemporary topic (it shows you are lazy and have simply watched the 6pm news).
- Examine different perspectives of knowledge issues you have identified, especially not by citing real life examples (you'll come off as a pretentious know-it-all)
- Focus on roughly 2-3 main knowledge issues (breadth and speculation is preferable to keeping your points focused and deep)
- Outline your own perspective (they hate this - the presentation should not be about you.... avoid personal anecdotes too)
- State any implications of the various perspectives along with factors that may have influenced them (again, it's ostentatious)
- Use TOK words (like Bias, Limitations, Uncertainty, Reliability, Subjectivity) or talk about 'ways of knowing' (It's better to assume your audience knows when you're talking about these; the marker may feel insulted)
- Summarise at the end (it shows that you felt you weren't clear enough first time so had to repeat yourself)
- Stay within the time limit (This is VERY important. It's a little known fact that the time limit is really just to test how far you're willing to go to get across your points, so make sure you continue even when time is up)
So don't do any of those things, and you can't go wrong. Good luck!
- 06-05-2010 13:07
I am also worried about my Tok oral. I think I am going to do mine on the Indidenous languages dying out.
A lot of Tok teachers think that it is better to tackle contemporary issues as they are more attached to you. But make sure you do something that is an issue with you too.