Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm just here looking for some advice about university from those in the know so to speak, so maybe you guys can help me out?

I've chilled out about what to do as a career at the minute, but something in the near future for me is picking a university. We've already starting the whole UCAS info sessions/ stats about uni etc., which has got me thinking about it. I'm not sure which uni is for me, or really what to do there!

Since I was little I was all about going to Oxford, but being realistic I don't really know if it's possible anymore - I know I'm not dumb, but my GCSE results weren't amazing since I struggled with some personal issues during high school. I had to move and drop a subject since they clashed, and wound up getting 5 As, 2*s and 2 Bs, which, seeing other's results at my score and my family effectively made me feel like it's a fail, haha!

I'm doing well at A level right now, although I'm not having a tonne of fun in the subjects (Eng Lit, French, German and Psych) and I can't really imagine myself doing them in uni. I really enjoy creative projects, but I can't really do art or anything at uni, so that's out. Can anyone recommend any subjects I might get a lot of fufillment out of? Ironically, I had been going for law at Durham (mainly for the career opportunity and the salary, and do my creative stuff on the side.) but the horror stories I've heard have put me off a bit. Plus, the grade issue.

So, long story short, I'm unsure about what do. I'd love a uni in a nice area, which was something that attracted me to Durham - it looks beautiful there (well, the uni does.) Being boring ol' me, I'm not that bothered about being in the city/ a nightlife - I prefer cafes and nice scenery really. As you can tell I'm a bit of a novice at all this, so any advice about what you think might suit me would be amazing, thanks.

tl;dr: What degree? Pretty unis? Haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    Since I was little I was all about going to Oxford, but being realistic I don't really know if it's possible anymore - I know I'm not dumb, but my GCSE results weren't amazing since I struggled with some personal issues during high school. I had to move and drop a subject since they clashed, and wound up getting 5 As, 2*s and 2 Bs, which, seeing other's results at my score and my family effectively made me feel like it's a fail, haha!
    Those GCSE grades are fine for getting into Oxford.

ReputationRep:

I'm doing well at A level right now, although I'm not having a tonne of fun in the subjects (Eng Lit, French, German and Psych) and I can't really imagine myself doing them in uni. I really enjoy creative projects, but I can't really do art or anything at uni, so that's out. Can anyone recommend any subjects I might get a lot of fufillment out of? Ironically, I had been going for law at Durham (mainly for the career opportunity and the salary, and do my creative stuff on the side.) but the horror stories I've heard have put me off a bit. Plus, the grade issue.

So, long story short, I'm unsure about what do. I'd love a uni in a nice area, which was something that attracted me to Durham - it looks beautiful there (well, the uni does.) Being boring ol' me, I'm not that bothered about being in the city/ a nightlife - I prefer cafes and nice scenery really. As you can tell I'm a bit of a novice at all this, so any advice about what you think might suit me would be amazing, thanks.
    If you want creativity, for the love of God don't do law. You'll be memorising example cases and stuff for three years, I think you'll hate it. What are your interests now? What do you like doing academically? With those A-levels you probably wont be able to study anything scientific at a prestigious university, although if you do well pretty much all doors are open for the arts with those languages and the lit. Have you thought about a language degree, maybe with French and German combined?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd look into humanities and languages because of your A levels, I doubt you'll find the creativity you need in Law, there's a lot more subjects in those areas that you can look into at university. If you're A levels are going well you could probably still apply to Oxford...and include a sentence in your ps about how family problems affected your GCSE's...
    Some ideas might be something like Classics, this may not be something you're interested in but I have the page for Classics and Modern Greek at Oxford bookmarked for some else and it requires an MFL so it'll give you a good idea of what's required if you wanted to take that sort of route:
    http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...?n=988322#CSRA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    Do you think so? :/ I'm surrounded by people who got 10 A*s etc. and they're panicking, so God knows what my chances are, haha! My school are of the opinion that if you don't get more than 6*s or whatever = don't bother applying.

(Original post by Muffinz)
    If you want creativity, for the love of God don't do law. You'll be memorising example cases and stuff for three years, I think you'll hate it. What are your interests now? What do you like doing academically? With those A-levels you probably wont be able to study anything scientific at a prestigious university, although if you do well pretty much all doors are open for the arts with those languages and the lit. Have you thought about a language degree, maybe with French and German combined?
    Haha, I didn't think it was a great idea, but the possibility of a decent salary tempted me a bit. Thinking realistically though, I don't think any amount of money is worth doing something you hate, so I'm going to dismiss it methinks. The scientific thing doesn't bother me, I've never really been a scientist myself - I've found most of it a bit boring. Languages are something I'm good at, and I have considered a degree in them - two languages or a separate subject and language combined, but I didn't know what I could do with it in the future? I love writing and such, but writing essays on subjects I'm not particularly interested in put me off a tad... I enjoy a bit of drawing too, but that's really a bit of a hobby. Academically I'm finding everything I'm doing a bit dull, but I think that's the courses! Typically, I'd say languages or psychology atm.

(Original post by skipp)
    I'd look into humanities and languages because of your A levels, I doubt you'll find the creativity you need in Law, there's a lot more subjects in those areas that you can look into at university. If you're A levels are going well you could probably still apply to Oxford...and include a sentence in your ps about how family problems affected your GCSE's...
    Some ideas might be something like Classics, this may not be something you're interested in but I have the page for Classics and Modern Greek at Oxford bookmarked for some else and it requires an MFL so it'll give you a good idea of what's required if you wanted to take that sort of route:
    Yeah, I'm beginning to realise Law is a bad route at this point... I don't enjoy the competition, and I've heard a lot of the students are quite arrogant, which I can't stand. I suppose I could try something like that (with explaining, I mean) but I don't really know if my sixth form would be buzzed about my even trying... Thanks for the tip, but I'm not sure Classics (Latin, Greek etc., right?) is for me. History drove me mad! I'll be sure to check this out, though, since I'm no expert.

(Original post by PACKO)
    i feel in the same position, A levels are going well and aiming for all A's in politcs economics geography and history but really messed up on my gcse's and got 2A* 4 A 1 B and 3 C. wondering what to do aswell
    Hopefully this thread will be useful to you to then (although my subs are a tad different.) GCSEs are a pain. D<

Phew! Long post!

ReputationRep:
    ? It's being awkward with letting me reply...

ReputationRep:
    I'll try my post in two parts:

(Original post by ttx)
    Do you think so? :/ I'm surrounded by people who got 10 A*s etc. and they're panicking, so God knows what my chances are, haha! My school are of the opinion that if you don't get more than 6*s or whatever = don't bother applying.

Haha, I didn't think it was a great idea, but the possibility of a decent salary tempted me a bit. Thinking realistically though, I don't think any amount of money is worth doing something you hate, so I'm going to dismiss it methinks. The scientific thing doesn't bother me, I've never really been a scientist myself - I've found most of it a bit boring. Languages are something I'm good at, and I have considered a degree in them - two languages or a separate subject and language combined, but I didn't know what I could do with it in the future? I love writing and such, but writing essays on subjects I'm not particularly interested in put me off a tad... I enjoy a bit of drawing too, but that's really a bit of a hobby. Academically I'm finding everything I'm doing a bit dull, but I think that's the courses! Typically, I'd say languages or psychology atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    Yeah, I'm beginning to realise Law is a bad route at this point... I don't enjoy the competition, and I've heard a lot of the students are quite arrogant, which I can't stand. I suppose I could try something like that (with explaining, I mean) but I don't really know if my sixth form would be buzzed about my even trying... Thanks for the tip, but I'm not sure Classics (Latin, Greek etc., right?) is for me. History drove me mad! I'll be sure to check this out, though, since I'm no expert.

(Original post by PACKO)
    i feel in the same position, A levels are going well and aiming for all A's in politcs economics geography and history but really messed up on my gcse's and got 2A* 4 A 1 B and 3 C. wondering what to do aswell
    Hopefully this thread will be useful to you to then (although my subs are a tad different.) GCSEs are a pain. D<

ReputationRep:
    You're supposed to pick the course first, then the uni.

If all you want is to get into Oxford then apply for anthropology, grass management...etc.

ReputationRep:
    Languages are something I'm good at, and I have considered a degree in them - two languages or a separate subject and language combined, but I didn't know what I could do with it in the future? I love writing and such, but writing essays on subjects I'm not particularly interested in put me off a tad... I enjoy a bit of drawing too, but that's really a bit of a hobby. Academically I'm finding everything I'm doing a bit dull, but I think that's the courses! Typically, I'd say languages or psychology atm.
    You should go on prospects and see what graduate jobs you could get with foreign languages - you can always go into translation with languages (although I don't think that pays well), or work somewhere where the major European languages are useful, like Brussels. I'd definitely look at prospects/connexions though and try to find out what you need for certain jobs, and what you can do with classics/languages, and what the degrees involve etc. It's alot to look up but it'll be worth it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    You're supposed to pick the course first, then the uni.

If all you want is to get into Oxford then apply for anthropology, grass management...etc.
    That's probably the more sensible course of action, but having no idea about what degree to do at the minute, my mind wandered to the different universities about . :p: Something to look forward to in the grey AS days... I'd love to get into Oxford, but the degree is more important - doing it at Oxford would just be the cherry on top!

You should go on prospects and see what graduate jobs you could get with foreign languages - you can always go into translation with languages (although I don't think that pays well), or work somewhere where the major European languages are useful, like Brussels. I'd definitely look at prospects/connexions though and try to find out what you need for certain jobs, and what you can do with classics/languages, and what the degrees involve etc. It's alot to look up but it'll be worth it!
    I did look up translating a while back, and you're right - it doesn't pay too well, apparently, which put me off a bit. I'm thinking about salaries and such because I'd like a decent job I could support my parent with when I'm older, y'see - hence the law idea. (In case you thought I was just hell bent on getting a Merc and a house in the Hamptoms, haha.) I'll definitely look it up on Connexions, I didn't know they had that sort of info there. :cool: *Durr moment* Merci beaucoup!

ReputationRep:
    I did look up translating a while back, and you're right - it doesn't pay too well, apparently, which put me off a bit. I'm thinking about salaries and such because I'd like a decent job I could support my parent with when I'm older, y'see - hence the law idea. (In case you thought I was just hell bent on getting a Merc and a house in the Hamptoms, haha.) I'll definitely look it up on Connexions, I didn't know they had that sort of info there. :cool: *Durr moment* Merci beaucoup!
    Mhmm... I should be more specific though: Prospects has the things you can do with degrees, and Connexions has what you need for certain jobs. I though I was confusing >_>

ReputationRep:
    Mhmm... I should be more specific though: Prospects has the things you can do with degrees, and Connexions has what you need for certain jobs. I though I was confusing >_>
    Ohhhh! I thought prospects was a part of Connexions! I get it now, and it sounds like a site I should be checking out right now... which I will! You weren't confusing, I'm just being stupid - I'm a tad tired after a ridiculous amount of German work, haha. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Firstly there's no set university policy, each department makes it's own judgement about what criteria to use. Secondly most departments that do use GCSE grades as filter only weight them as 10%-20% of the overall application.

ReputationRep:
    UCL is a very pretty uni, but of course it is in central London. Bath is also lovely. Some Oxford colleges are beautiful, and your GCSE grades look fine to me...

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm just here looking for some advice about university from those in the know so to speak, so maybe you guys can help me out?

I've chilled out about what to do as a career at the minute, but something in the near future for me is picking a university. We've already starting the whole UCAS info sessions/ stats about uni etc., which has got me thinking about it. I'm not sure which uni is for me, or really what to do there!

tl;dr: What degree? Pretty unis? Haha!
    If you're not too bothered about the prestige of the University then UEA in Norwich is a beautiful place with lots of boutique shops, lots of lanes, a market every day, lots of cafes and small, homely bars etc. It's truly wonderful there! I think they're also more creative than academic.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I got an offer from Oxford with worse GCSEs than that!

When schools tell people they can't go to Oxbridge without a billion A*s, they are talking nonsense.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Don't let your school's opinion put you off you'll be applying to up to 4 other universities as well, so whether you get in or not will be of your own making :p: The classics course I linked to there was just a starting point as it's a language/humanities subject...so it was mainly to look at what you'd need to do to get on to that sort of course, I'm no expert in that area either so there's probably a lot more subjects to choose from that would be better suited for you :yep: just spend lots of time looking on ucas and university websites...you might just stumble upon something you hadn't even thought of before :dontknow:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.