Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was I Wrong to Interfer? Watch

• View Poll Results: Was I Right or Wrong?
    You were right to question him
    17.50%
    You were wrong to question him
    55.00%
    Both right and wrong; a paradox
    7.50%
    Don't know
    0%
    Let him learn the hard way!!!
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    I was at the gym today doing my HIIT (High Intestity Interval Training) cardio and I caught in a mirror before me, a young man probably about 16-17 running on a treadmill.

This guy, I noticed, was so thin and boney that I had to go over and ask him what he was doing running. I just had to because no-one else in the gym bothered to.

The young guy told me he was doing "cardio", and so I asked him how long for, and he said that he was doing about an hour. I was not just shocked but also exasperated. I walked away because I think he thought I was intruding.

My point was to show the young guy that he would do well to get into the gym on the weights rather than burn calories and get even more thin. This guy's arms were like candle sticks. You could see his spine and his boney shoulders through his football top.

Was I right in approaching this guy or would it have been better for him to learn the hard way?

It is just common sense really that if you are thin and need to gain weight, you stay off the cardio (perhaps altogther) and increase your calorie intake; do some weight training to increase bone density and add mass.

I couldn't let this guy run on the treadmill for 60 minutes, instead I walked away and never told him that what he was doing was perhaps not a good idea.

Of course, he may have been doing the cardio to improve his health and lung capacity, but you have to put your priorities first. Cardio for an hour is just ridiculous and possibly dangerous for someone so thin and so boney. He should have really just done a warm up, got on the weights and ate loads of food and plenty of rest.

Instead the guy does a full hour of cardio. I myself only do 20 mins of HIIT and then 20 mins on the weights and that's it!

maybe he's a marathon runner?

anyway, no...it was none of your business.

ReputationRep:
    Better question: would I be wrong to interfere with your spelling??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitledscientist)
    Better question: would I be wrong to interfere with your spelling??
    Correct my spelling you must.

ReputationRep:
    that is a dumb story. surely you didn't even tell him anything? he could have been doing an hour running for any number of reasons.

you don't go up to fat people when they're eating and ask them what they're doing, do you?

it's none of your business!

(Original post by codcod)
    that is a dumb story. surely you didn't even tell him anything? he could have been doing an hour running for any number of reasons.

you don't go up to fat people when they're eating and ask them what they're doing, do you?

But clearly, there was something wrong. :lolwut: Is it wrong to care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by codcod)

True, its none of our business but if another scenario was, you were being physically abused at the gym in front of the public, would people mind their own business? Technically every has their own rights and wrong and if there is trouble, they feel they ought to do something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    But clearly, there was something wrong. :lolwut: Is it wrong to care?
    Smooth talker, said it in couple words, i said it in freaking life story. Rep for you

ReputationRep:
    lol this has nothing to do with being physically abused but................

that's like saying i laugh when told a joke which means i should laugh when i see someone being slapped

but yea it was none of your business bub, i would only jump in if he was doing something which would have hurt him, i.e if he was hopping on a fast treadmill...

ReputationRep:
    If I said something every time I saw somebody doing something dumb in the gym, I'd never have any time to lift.

Stick to your workout and let others do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Of course, he may have been doing the cardio to improve his health and lung capacity, but you have to put your priorities first. Cardio for an hour is just ridiculous and possibly dangerous for someone so thin and so boney. He should have really just done a warm up, got on the weights and ate loads of food and plenty of rest.
    1) You don't know why he's training and/or what for - he may well be an endurance athlete.

2) Who are you to decide whether someone is too fat/thin/exercising for too long/unhealthy? He could be incredibly fit and healthy but thin due to genetics/activity/diet.

3) Don't force your beliefs on others - if he wants your advice he'll ask for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourdigit)
    True, its none of our business but if another scenario was, you were being physically abused at the gym in front of the public, would people mind their own business? Technically every has their own rights and wrong and if there is trouble, they feel they ought to do something.
    Ermm.... what? How does physical abuse come into it? Obviously if something like that was happening it's okay to say something, but for starters that wasn't what was happening, some guy was just running on a treadmill, and secondly, what the OP did wasn't "saying something" or doing anything about it whatsoever - he didn't even ask what the guy on the treadmill was training for, or offer any advice at all.

This is literally just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Live and let live. Life's too short to concern yourself with what other people are doing, 'right' or 'wrong'.

ReputationRep:
    I never tell people they are doint it wrong in the gym unless I know them/they have come to me for advice before or its dangerous to themselves or others.

That said myself and the gym owner had a one handed barbell snatch comp which is quite dangerous lol

ReputationRep:
    i think the OP was right, clearly if hes stick thin and hes carrying on doing that much cardio, hes not doing himself much good, endurance athele or not, athlete eat, he clearly wasent and still doing that much cardio.

ReputationRep:
    If you didn't even ask him what his goals are - yeah you were a ****. He might of had goals that required his body to be like that. Not everyone goes to the gym in order to build a muscular body designed to fulfil a latent homosexual lust.

ReputationRep:
    and not everyone goes to the gym to waste away there heart muscle tissue doing excessive amounts of cardio, clearly he wasent even eaten

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    and not everyone goes to the gym to waste away there heart muscle tissue doing excessive amounts of cardio, clearly he wasent even eaten
    Clearly? How is it clear? You weren't even there, numbnuts.

ReputationRep:
    the OP stated, the condition he was in, how many athletes do you see like that, i dont think micheal phelps is stick bone thin

ReputationRep:

Seriously, there's no way your sig is true. You're too thick.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.