Turn on thread page Beta

Was I Wrong to Interfer? watch

• View Poll Results: Was I Right or Wrong?
    You were right to question him
    17.50%
    You were wrong to question him
    55.00%
    Both right and wrong; a paradox
    7.50%
    Don't know
    0%
    Let him learn the hard way!!!
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    haha yeh man, , but maybe i have the common sense to stop someone killing themselves. Theres a diffeence between training sensibly and training excessivly. Ive seen both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    the OP stated, the condition he was in, how many athletes do you see like that, i dont think micheal phelps is stick bone thin
    Scroll up to my sig if you want.

You can see his Sternum.

ReputationRep:
    yeh m8 you look awful, get some definition on you, otherwise by time your 80 youll have no muscle what so ever, awful

ReputationRep:
    i think you would be naive to approach someone and tell them what to do at the gym when you dont know them.

Why would you say he needs to increase his calorie intake and do weights, he may be a runner, he may like his physique and runs too keep it that way. He may also be going just to keep fit, just because he is thin doesnt mean he is fit.

ReputationRep:
    You did the right thing imo.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies and your votes.

He was at the gym again today and I asked him this time what his goals were. I asked him when no-one was around. He does cardio to get fit but he has also just started on the weights...to gain weight.

Seriously, though, anyone who wants to gain weight (muscle and size) they need to limit their cardio, and anyone as thin as this guy at the gym that I use they should stop cardio, perhaps altogther. His goal was to improve fitness and gain muscle.

Muscle is metabolically active, so by limiting cardio and increasing protein and calories you make gains. Doing an hour of cardio is going to eat away your muscle gains, that's why HIIT training is better for fat loss whilst retaining muscle mass. 20 minutes of HIIT is much better than an hour of cardio for those trying to gain weight as well.

ReputationRep:
    It was his choice. You had no business doing that but you did. You're entitled to do whatever you want though, just like the boney guy is. To be honest, you sounded dickish. People usually like to be left alone at the gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)

He was at the gym again today and I asked him this time what his goals were. I asked him when no-one was around. He does cardio to get fit but he has also just started on the weights...to gain weight.

Seriously, though, anyone who wants to gain weight (muscle and size) they need to limit their cardio, and anyone as thin as this guy at the gym that I use they should stop cardio, perhaps altogther. His goal was to improve fitness and gain muscle.

Muscle is metabolically active, so by limiting cardio and increasing protein and calories you make gains. Doing an hour of cardio is going to eat away your muscle gains, that's why HIIT training is better for fat loss whilst retaining muscle mass. 20 minutes of HIIT is much better than an hour of cardio for those trying to gain weight as well.
    Hope you see him doing HIIT in the future then. =)

ReputationRep:

HIIT is not good at all for maintaining muscle mass, how many pro bodybuilders do HIIT? they do very low pace steady state cardio, this fella can probably tell you more
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Summond bub
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    HIIT is not good at all for maintaining muscle mass, how many pro bodybuilders do HIIT? they do very low pace steady state cardio, this fella can probably tell you more
    A lot of strongmen and powerlifters do HIIT, usually using the sled or prowler. And in fact I think nearly all strength/powder athletes like American footballers and rugby players favour HIIT over LISS because it's quite simply better.

ReputationRep:
    Steady state cardio which takes about 30-40 minutes to get you burning calories will eat away muscle; oit's all about time. It is better to do 20 minutes HIIT.

Sprinters don't do endurance type cardio; they sprint; they do HIIT and they need to maintain their muscles. Runners do endurance type cardio; they are not usually very muscular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    A lot of strongmen and powerlifters do HIIT, usually using the sled or prowler. And in fact I think nearly all strength/powder athletes like American footballers and rugby players favour HIIT over LISS because it's quite simply better.
    So what’s your point? I do and have always advocated HIIT as being better for both fat loss, fitness and athleticism, but it does not maintain muscle mass or encourage or should I say allow growth in the same way as boring gay cardio does.
    Steady state cardio which takes about 30-40 minutes to get you burning calories will eat away muscle; oit's all about time. It is better to do 20 minutes HIIT.

Sprinters don't do endurance type cardio; they sprint; they do HIIT and they need to maintain their muscles. Runners do endurance type cardio; they are not usually very muscular.
    Total rubbish I’m afraid and simply not based in fact.
    Sprinters this and that, well done, long distance runners well done – great examples.
    So do you feel they cancel out the example of IFBB professional bodybuilders, you know the guys with the most muscle mass on the planet doing steady state cardio?

Bodybuilders will tend to do between 20-40 mins of slow state cardio – as in walking not running a couple of times a day when cutting.

ReputationRep:
    there's a bodybuilder at my gym who does a lot of incline walking

ReputationRep:
    So what’s your point? I do and have always advocated HIIT as being better for both fat loss, fitness and athleticism, but it does not maintain muscle mass or encourage or should I say allow growth in the same way as boring gay cardio does.

Total rubbish I’m afraid and simply not based in fact.
    Sprinters this and that, well done, long distance runners well done – great examples.
    So do you feel they cancel out the example of IFBB professional bodybuilders, you know the guys with the most muscle mass on the planet doing steady state cardio?

Bodybuilders will tend to do between 20-40 mins of slow state cardio – as in walking not running a couple of times a day when cutting.
    HIIT is much better for fat loss whilst preserving muscle. 40 minutes of cardio is okay for runners; but not for muscular folk who need to hold onto what muscle they have. Of course, this does not mean that bodybuilders cannot and do not do 30 or 40 minutes of steady-state cardio. I am sure they do, but it is not the best way. I once worked in a gym and no-one there knew what HIIT was, and that was only 3-4 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Guys.

Is HIIT good or not good for bodybuilding, truth is, I have no ******* idea. I have always believed in steady pace cardio and likewise many builders in my gym have stood by it and have seen results. TBH I've never really seen the benefits of HIIT other than improvement of VO2 max, some bodybuilders use it and some dont, but its hardly some revolutionary training method which all swear by. I have heard of some bodybuilders complaining about atrophy whilst incorporating the method, because its still in its relative infancy much of the suggested benefits may be little more than broscience.

ReputationRep:
    Learning the hard way is by far the best way, its one of the only ways people really learn.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh you don't know his background etc so no need to question him but at the same time if you had approached the matter in a different way maybe you could have helped him or understood why he was running for an hour etc

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.