Turn on thread page Beta

Tooth filling - SCARED! watch

Announcements

I had a small hole in one of my upper teeth at the back but was too scared to have all the dentistry crap go on in my mouth so I refused it and instead the dentist put in a temporary filling. A year later that temporary filling started to chip off so 6 months ago he recommended I have a proper filling and I refused AGAIN...so he filled it with another temporary filling.

Now it's starting to chip off again, so I thought what the hell I might aswell get it done now. I just wanted to know if its necessary to have a big long scary needle poking through your gum for an injection for a filling? does it hurt? how long does it take? (the gap is tiny) and should I get silver or white? which one is better? but more importantly, how scary is it and does it hurt? :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

I'm so scared :cry:

It's going to be alright :grouphugs:

ReputationRep:
    The numbing injection really is nothing, i couldnt even tell wether it had been done or not. You can get some gell that numbs the area before that if you ask for it. After that you wont feel a thing, its more just noise and vibration really, quite bearable. Not sure how long it takes, maybe half an hour? That is a pure guess, i cant remember for sure. I would get white, it costs a little more, but they are pretty much invisible and much nicer. Its not painful, or scary really. Take an ipod, lie back, open your mouth and close your eyes. As the man said to the hooker.

ReputationRep:
    White is obviously better, cause it's white. It doesn't hurt . I'm more afraid of the drill sander thing to smooth down the tooth before filling. That scares me, cause last time the guy slipped and cut my lip! Then i had like chapped lips for like a week. The worst possible out come is you die. . But it's not that scary and once it's done it won't be playing on your mind and you will be able to focus on other things.

I had one of these. It doesn't hurt at all, and I can't stand injections (I'm a bit of a wuss). You'll probably feel the drilling if any is needed but its more that you can feel the dentist moving your head than feeling any pain. I'd say it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes if it's just a little hole. Then you'll walk home with a numb tongue and might struggle to talk for an hour or two :gah:

Assuming you can get a white filling then definitely go for that - if the hole is as small as you say then you probably will be able to.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit scary - I guess it is every time. Make sure you tell your dentist you're a little worried - not that they wouldn't be reassuring or anything, but I find it helps me personally just for them to know that I'm anxious. I'd imagine a dentist isn't going to be relaxed and able to concentrate themselves if you are really nervous, so they'll make sure it all goes well for you.

The injection isn't nearly as bad as you think it's going to be. Lasts about 4-5 seconds max and while you might think it hurts a bit at the time, you'll look back and realise it wasn't as scary as you though. I think there are other ways they can numb you - you don't have to at all (one of my mum's friends never uses anesthetic when she visits the dentist and I have no idea how she does it!), but an injection is the quickest and easiest. If they have to drill a little, it feels weird, but you shouldn't actually feel anything, and if you do just say so and you can probably get a little more - I've found before that sometimes I take a little longer to go all numb.

They should only need an injection if they have to drill at all, which they might. But you should only feel the vibrations of it, and even though you'll "feel" something, it won't be sore, just a bit odd.

White filling is better, that way you can pretend you don't have any because it's barely noticeable.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember, the more still you sit the less likely they are to **** up. It doesn't hurt. You've got numbing crap all jabbed into your mouth and in my opinion they use far too much so you won't feel anything!

ReputationRep:
    Really, really no need to be scared! They'll put some anaesthetic gel on cotton which will then numb the area where you will be injected and the injections kick in really quickly. You won't feel anything from the drills, it's mainly just quite noisy. You'll feel so much better once it's done though because then you won't have to worry about it (well, that's what I've been telling myself about my upcoming wisdom teeth extractions! :p:)

ReputationRep:
    I've had a filling without the injection thing and it didn't hurt at all! No idea why they would of had to inject me coz I didn't feel anything

ReputationRep:
    jags hurt yeah, but only for a weeensy second, then you're done!

fillings area breeze, try having half your tooth chopped off and an exposed nerve treaty-ish thing! hahah ok that didn't make sense

but you will be fineeeeee , dont worry!x

ReputationRep:
    Whoever said it last 4-5 seconds max is a lucky thing! When I have fillings the injection lasts for about 20-30 seconds. Really different compared to injections you have in your arm. But I don't think they hurt, no bleeding or anything, just uncomfortable I guess.

Definitely have the injection. It's not the worst part of it. I don't like all the other things they do.. so uncomfortable having my mouth open for that long.

Just take some vaseline and put it on before hand if you're anything like me and get dry lips, because having your mouth open a long time is uncomfortable on the skin.

Actually, reading other people's posts it's odd because it seems all dentists do it differently. I've never heard of the cotton wool thing to numb the area, I just get the injection and THAT numbs the area itself. I used to dread them so bad I'd cry before hand in the dentist's chair when I was young, but now I don't mind really.. it's a slight unpleasant discomfort but much better than if you left it and the tooth started to rot more. Now that would be painful!

ReputationRep:
    I fainted after the injection, turns out I was allergic to the anaesthetic used, though the dentist thought it was a sign of diabetes. :rolleyes:

Just to throw that comforting story out there.

ReputationRep:
    I love needles, they're great!

ReputationRep:
    My dad is a dentist, and he told me the injection is more effective the slower it is injected... but once the first litte bit is injected it's numb it more or less straight away and you can't feel it.
    You'll be fine! Just dig your nails into your hand, that's what I do for any needle suituation and it works a treat :P

ReputationRep:
    I had a doughnut of a dentist - I went for a filling, he put in the needle, and my gums started to go numb.. so far so good. The he starts drilling... ahhhhhh!!!!!! - He had numbed my gums too far away from the tooth that he was drilling into

ReputationRep:
    Appreciate the thread is old but wanted to post this to reassure those in the future.

I'm 18 with an immense fear of needles and have to date had 3 fillings (bad, I know) and opted not to have the injection for all three.

I don't even exaggerate when I say this but other than the vibration of the drill I didn't feel a thing, no pain what so ever. Until the very last bit of drilling that is, by which point I presume they've hit the nerve, but even then the pain is very bare able and goes as soon as the drilling stops.

Procedure is as follows:
    They drill the cavaty away, swap the drill bit for a grinder thing to smooth out the drill work, then apply the filling via the pointy dentist tool and a syringe. Bish bash bosh.

No need to fret from my experience.

ReputationRep:
    Thank.you so much for sharing, Im going to have fillings next week and I was thinking to choose not to have the injection.i feel much more reassured now

ReputationRep:
    I was kinda worried about this too but it really doesn't hurt at all, it mostly just feels a bit cold but nothing too bad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it does hurt and I'm terrified of the dentist so get it done and over with.I felt better after but don't put metal on it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2016
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.