Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    bfs parents came today and my bf ended up kicking them out

basically as soon as they walked in they were telling us we need to do x,y,z, how we should have our curtains/windows open etc how we should have our TV over there and the sofa over there etc

my bf lost his temper and basically told them to **** off

so my question is.....is it cheeky to go into someones home and start basically telling them how they should have things/what things they need?

ReputationRep:
    No its called being sound

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant question that will hopefully turn into a multi paged debate.

ReputationRep:
    Move your T.V. then we can talk.

ReputationRep:
    Depends.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you broke up?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like they were trying to be helpful, and make sure it was all nice for you. Your bf sounds like a right ****.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you lived on a farm?

ReputationRep:
    No, it's your place not theirs and you can co-ordinate it how you like . Then again parents can say any thing to you, they brought you up, your bf up. It would have been better if they were more subtle, or jokey .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    It sounds like they were trying to be helpful, and make sure it was all nice for you. Your bf sounds like a right **** .

no he doesnt, its cheeky coming into someones home and telling them what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    bfs parents came today and my bf ended up kicking them out

basically as soon as they walked in they were telling us we need to do x,y,z, how we should have our curtains/windows open etc how we should have our TV over there and the sofa over there etc

my bf lost his temper and basically told them to **** off

so my question is.....is it cheeky to go into someones home and start basically telling them how they should have things/what things they need?
    No,no, no and NO!!!!!. I really cannot stand people like that, what the hell gives them right to come in to my house and tell me what I should or shouldnt be doing, should and shouldnt be buying etc!!. Really annoys the **** out of me.

ReputationRep:
    It's through getting other peoples' opinions that you can figure out what looks the nicest for your flat. Maybe they were right. Maybe the tv would look better over there, and the curtains would look nicer like that. You should still be courteous, and definitely not kick them out for something so minor.

Your boyfriend was a little bit rude really, but I can see both sides of the coin.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha so youve just answered your own question. congrats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    It's through getting other peoples' opinions that you can figure out what looks the nicest for your flat. Maybe they were right. Maybe the tv would look better over there, and the curtains would look nicer like that. You should still be courteous, and definitely not kick them out for something so minor.

Your boyfriend was a little bit rude really, but I can see both sides of the coin.

we had the TV where thy suggested and it didnt work for us, they know this yet still insisted that it SHOULD be there

ReputationRep:

you must hate your television.

Yes it is cheeky. It is simply bad manners to be invited into someone's home and then criticise it.

They are probably still in "parent mode", thinking they can tell him to tidy his bedroom etc :p: but no it is very annoying and impolite.

My mum hates this - she has relatives which come over (which she doesn't get on to well with in any case) and they make sniffy comments about the house. Not on. Guests have the privilege of being a guest at the "expense" of being polite/grateful to the host, even if they are related and think they can get away with it!

ReputationRep:
    we had the TV where thy suggested and it didnt work for us, they know this yet still insisted that it SHOULD be there
    Okay. well, I can see how it'd be annoying, but you're all at fault. They shouldn't have openly criticised so quickly, you should have reacted the way you did and kicked them out.

I'd probably have handled the situation jokily and smoothed everything over, rather than taken offence. Or, just take it on the chin: "Oh, no, we tried the TV over there and it just didn't work for us, it's much better for us like this!" and then change the subject.

ReputationRep:
    family are allowed. others are not. They were rude but so was he. They probably just care about him though and think you need advice.

ReputationRep:
    It's annoying when people nit pick over things, although kicking them out is probably a bit ott.

ReputationRep:
    Your boyfriend treats his Parents like that ?

As annoying as some Parents may be that's not right.

He is most definitley a Grade A* Paphole and if you don't like this little Home Truth then suck it down baby.... suck, it, down !!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.