Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've known a guy for three years. He is on my course and part of my friendship group. When we first met he was quite flirty and we got on well. I thought we were going somewhere. But then things suddenly became awkward, with no explanation.

When he is with other girls the conversation flows. But when he is with me its like we just don't know what to say to each other. We both clam up. It's soooo awkward. Its like he is embarrassed to be speaking to me.

I like him a lot and it hurts me to see him chatting up other girls. Every time we go out I hope he will make a move on me bit it never happens. I always end up feeling miserable and thinking 'whats wrong with me'?

My friends kind of guessed that I like him and they tease me. I wonder if they do the same to him and thats what's putting him off.

I just keep going round in circles. With other lads its been obvious what they want. With this guy its so unclear. One minute I'm convinced he likes me back, the next I'm convinced he thinks I'm the most ugly person on the planet. I'm not a very confident person and I have no idea what to do. :confused: Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I think what has happened is that you both liked each other, but it got to the stage where someone should have made a move, break the tension, that didnt happen and it turned a little awkward. I think you need to see him one to one, flirt with him, lots of positive body language, touching etc and see what his reaction is.

ReputationRep:
    well from my own experience, i tend to become quite mainly cause i can't think of much to say... but if someone else talks to me i can continue easily... and people i know better i tend to talk to less (even my better friends)

I say be different and make it blaringly obvious to him that you like him... like if you sit close to him etc one on one, just look him in the eyes and if he does ask a question or look for a reply delay your answer... and then when you think he has caught enough hints try make a few glances at his lips and move closer... but try find times to be one on one with him, you guys don't have to really be talking... think of maybe going for a swim or something relaxing that still takes up time without having to chat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonstudentgirl)
    I've known a guy for three years. He is on my course and part of my friendship group. When we first met he was quite flirty and we got on well. I thought we were going somewhere. But then things suddenly became awkward, with no explanation.

When he is with other girls the conversation flows. But when he is with me its like we just don't know what to say to each other. We both clam up. It's soooo awkward. Its like he is embarrassed to be speaking to me.

I like him a lot and it hurts me to see him chatting up other girls. Every time we go out I hope he will make a move on me bit it never happens. I always end up feeling miserable and thinking 'whats wrong with me'?

My friends kind of guessed that I like him and they tease me. I wonder if they do the same to him and thats what's putting him off.

I just keep going round in circles. With other lads its been obvious what they want. With this guy its so unclear. One minute I'm convinced he likes me back, the next I'm convinced he thinks I'm the most ugly person on the planet. I'm not a very confident person and I have no idea what to do. :confused: Any advice?
    whoa u should try something like giving him signals like ask him if his single and if he says yes...then smile. then ask him whether he wants to go for a movie or something. You know the drill right. Maybe he likes u but he is shy to ask u out.

ReputationRep:
    ...id say jus kiss him the next time use are alone and it gets awkward...thats wat id do!!

Don't use the word shy ever again. Its over-used, and too many people don't understand the true meaning of what being shy is. You are not really shy, but just experiencing what many teenagers experience when they interact with the love of their dreams.

Sounds to me that you need to be more open to him. A lot of guys can't read flirting very well.

ReputationRep:
    ask him? communication, people!!!

ReputationRep:

Why don't you just make a move on him? I imagine you are actually just awkward to be around - especially if you expect him to make all the conversation, someone like that isn't easy to talk to.

ReputationRep:
    Is he quite shy? If it was me, I wouldn't make a move unless I was absolutely sure I wouldn't be rejected, so maybe he's unsure too?

ReputationRep:

Reminds me abit about something that happens with me theres this girl I know who I used to talk to loads shes friends with all my friends we go the same parties etc. so i see a fair amount of her. Though she is generally very shy and very quiet, and after a while conversation just sort of got a bit awkward, I sit next to her on the train every day and sometimes we talking constantly other times things are strained and we both just start texting/listing to ipods in relative silence.

Because of this I have no clue if she likes me or not, it may be the same story as with you. I don't want to say anything because shes shy and may be embarrassed, but she won't say anything because shes shy. If this guy likes you he might be worried about embarrassing you or putting you in an awkward situation so won't say anything. Its not easy but be straight forward, don't ask roundabout or vague questions just ask him if he likes you and say you like him, that leaves no room for doubt. Its gonna be hard (I always get a weird sinking feeling and feel really low just before asking stuff like that) but it beats not obsessing over it and beating yourself up when you see him chatting up other girls....

Also if your shy he may have said something and you reacted in a way which he misinterpreted to mean you don't like him (happened to me more then once when talking to shy girls)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice all. I do find it difficult to talk to people and that's something I'm trying hard to get over. I think i'll try and see him alone (we always go out as a group), make it obvious and see what happens. I think I'm at the stage where I need a definite answer.

ReputationRep:

correction he doesnt know what to say to you because you dont speak to him

your quiet and ergo that can be boring especially when he is talking to other girls adn they are shock horror talking back

no they are tasing you because you let them

yes two things - one - girl up - you like him then talk to him, two hurry the hell up before someone else takes him and your going to be even more miserable and you will have no one to blame but yourself.

three years? no one in thier right mind is going to wait that long. More than likely if he does like you back he's so put off by your stand offish shyness that hes probably given up.

I have no sympathy for you OP if he does that. If you wont make yourself then no one else will or should

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.