The Student Room Group

When do you do the extended project?

Hey,
I only heard about the epq today and don't know much about it other than that my school offers it. Do you do it in year 12 or 13? And how long does it take to complete?
Reply 1
We did it in year 13 but you can do it anytime. I would have preferred to have done it in year 11 (our first as level year) where it was less busy with exams and the like or in early year 12. But it can be taken and done anytime but remember they suggest the project will take 120 hours to complete (it doesn't but it does take a long time)
Reply 2
I'm in year 13, and I started this September. It's basically a project or essay on anything you want, and supposedly helps you get offers from Uni because they like it (it was one of the factors on which my UCL offer was made). I'm doing wing design and aerodynamics. Some people in my class are making movies, some are writing about blue-tongue disease, someone's researching Banksy's artwork.
It's good because I actually enjoy learning about the stuff as I research it, but you also have to do a diary of what you have done, and the research techniques you've used, which can be dull to write, and it gets more marks that the actual project itself (though my diary is full of bull****).
You have to take quite a bit of time out to research things. And you have to give a presentation on what you've done to a group of about 5 or 6 people.
I have one session a week, which is just used for general admin, and we usually get it off if the supervisor has nothing to say to us.
I started in September, and the deadline is march 19th or something.
I'm still doing my first draft of the essay, but I've completed most of the research.
Reply 3
My year group were a pilot group at my school (I'm year 13 now).
We started in in May of last year, and it had to be in for either a November or March submission. I chose the November submission.
My title was "Select, direct and produce a one act play" and I presented an "artefact" that was a performance of 'Shakers Re-stirred'. I loved doing it!!!! I think part of the reason that I loved it so much was the way you could do ANYTHING you wanted.

I got an A* for it XD
We were offered it in year 12, and we had from May until the September of the new academic year. It's basically an in-depth research project on any topic you want (with a short presentation on your findings), and as long as your question/idea actually makes sence, you'll be fine! However, the production log is work 60% of the marks, and the essay 40%, so you need to make sure you have been accurate and detailed on the log. If you want a decent grade, then I suggest you use all the time you can. My question was "Are The BNP Unfairly Perceived?" and hopefully, unlike me, you won't leave it until the week before it's due to start it :p:.
Reply 5
12 or 13 depends in ure school
Original post by yvaiine
My year group were a pilot group at my school (I'm year 13 now).
We started in in May of last year, and it had to be in for either a November or March submission. I chose the November submission.
My title was "Select, direct and produce a one act play" and I presented an "artefact" that was a performance of 'Shakers Re-stirred'. I loved doing it!!!! I think part of the reason that I loved it so much was the way you could do ANYTHING you wanted.

I got an A* for it XD

you were in year 13, and now you are 29 - how time flies...

Quick Reply

Latest