Turn on thread page Beta

How to spice up tinned tomato soup? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I just looked through all my food stuff and found 5 tins of Tesco Value tomato soup - they were 19pence and as I was a bit broke at the beginning of the semester - well, you get the idea.

Anyway, the soups tastes really boring on its own so I'd be happy for any ideas how to spice it up/different dishes to create with it.

One idea was to mix the soup with cooked pasta and bake it in the oven with cheese on top.

Help me with some more creative (and not too expensive) recipes :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Buy a packet of generic spices and add them to the soup.

ReputationRep:
    i quite like to add some chilli powder, goes quite nicely with it

ReputationRep:
    Dip a tasty sandwich in it?

ReputationRep:
    You could try using it in sauce for spaghetti bolognese/chili con carne.

ReputationRep:
    I normally grate cheese into tomato soup, so I reckon your pasta, soup and cheese thing might work pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    Umm I usually add lots of flavours to soups like chilli powder & paprica..

Then also chop up onions and chillis and add them to the soup...also add cheese ...it makes the soup nice and creamy..yumm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    You could try using it in sauce for spaghetti bolognese/chili con carne.
    Agree, just use it as the base for an easy pasta sauce, bit of Italian herbs maybe some vegetables, otherwise just literally use some spices

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh warm baguette+butter with plain tomato soup= my favourite!!!
    The pasta idea sounds really good..with some boneless chicken mmm

ReputationRep:
    Get some ciabatta and slice it, put some grated mozzarella on it and grill for a bit. stick it in the soup. Yum.

Also add some chillis, get the lazy ones, yumm!!

ReputationRep:
    Black pepper is pretty good too

ReputationRep:
    Lea and P (L)

ReputationRep:
    cooked pasta, and spinach.

I'm going through a phase of putting spinach in absolutely everything.

ReputationRep:
    I put rice in it. Doesn't really spice it up as such but does make it a more filling meal.

ReputationRep:
    i always add curry powder and pepper and herbs........................... ................................ ...............................s ometimes mushy peaslol

ReputationRep:
    add some curry powder into it, makes it taste so much better, I would also cook up some kidney beans and put them in

God, i really want some soup now

ReputationRep:
    It might sound disgusting, but chips are really nice with tomato soup just cook like normal, and dip the chips in :yum:

Could you get a pizza base, and use the soup as a sauce, then add cheese and any toppings? Don't know if it would work, but it may be worth a go.

You could also add mushrooms, onions, basil, etc. to the soup. Maybe even Chicken Oh, and crackers go really well with soup my dad used to make it for me as a kid. Just crush the crackers on top lol.

I also like the sound of spag bol, or pasta.

ReputationRep:
    chilli powder

ReputationRep:
    Fresh chopped chilli, tabasco sauce - for literal 'spicing up'.

Otherwise, use it as a base for pasta sauces, etc. Your pasta bake idea sounds good

ReputationRep:
    Tabasco sauce would give it a kick. Other than that, all I can really suggest is parmesan, and a bit of bread and butter.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.