Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Option 1: A friend (not on my course) wants me to share with him and his boyfriend. I get on with them well and it would be a link to a wider social circle outside my course, but I'm not sure how I feel about sharing with a couple and nobody else... it might be weird. Also the flat they've got is a half hour walk from uni, but the rent's pretty cheap.

Option 2: Another friend's parents have bought a flat for him and he needs two other people to rent it off them. Him and the other girl who's been offered a room are both on my course, and it's 5 minutes from uni. I'm not sure whether having your friend's dad as your landlord would be a good thing though, people have told me it's a bad idea but I'm not sure.

Option 3: Two of my current flatmates in halls are moving back into halls next year. As 2nd years we'll get a free gym membership, reduced rent (but not by much), and we get to choose our flatmates. And it would mean not having to worry about bills etc. But it's really expensive, I'd have very little money to live on, and I kind of want a change. I like halls but I feel like I want more freedom next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moregano)
    Option 1: A friend (not on my course) wants me to share with him and his boyfriend. I get on with them well and it would be a link to a wider social circle outside my course, but I'm not sure how I feel about sharing with a couple and nobody else... it might be weird. Also the flat they've got is a half hour walk from uni, but the rent's pretty cheap.

Option 2: Another friend's parents have bought a flat for him and he needs two other people to rent it off them. Him and the other girl who's been offered a room are both on my course, and it's 5 minutes from uni. I'm not sure whether having your friend's dad as your landlord would be a good thing though, people have told me it's a bad idea but I'm not sure.

Option 3: Two of my current flatmates in halls are moving back into halls next year. As 2nd years we'll get a free gym membership, reduced rent (but not by much), and we get to choose our flatmates. And it would mean not having to worry about bills etc. But it's really expensive, I'd have very little money to live on, and I kind of want a change. I like halls but I feel like I want more freedom next year.
    I think option 2 or option 3. You're with your friends who aren't a couple (that can be quite boring and sometimes quite lonely), but you can still go out with them and the wider circle of friends whenever you want. It's not like you have to live with them to see them. I don't see why having your friend's dad as the landlord being a bad thing... if you're broke one month he's more likely to sympathise and understand surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin_love)
    I think option 2 or option 3. You're with your friends who aren't a couple (that can be quite boring and sometimes quite lonely), but you can still go out with them and the wider circle of friends whenever you want. It's not like you have to live with them to see them. I don't see why having your friend's dad as the landlord being a bad thing... if you're broke one month he's more likely to sympathise and understand surely?
    Ditto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin_love)
    Yeah that's kind of what I thought, but people have said we'll end up falling out over it, the dad might treat his son differently than us and we'll have to pay more than our fair share of the rent etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's kind of what I thought, but people have said we'll end up falling out over it, the dad might treat his son differently than us and we'll have to pay more than our fair share of the rent etc.
    As long as its cheaper than halls then it shouldnt matter what he pays - his dad owns it, dont see how it can be a problem if you accept that as long as what youre paying is a fee thats good for you and that his dad has commited to keeping up his landlord duties.

ReputationRep:
    That's what a contract is for... if you're not happy with the price he offers you, don't take it. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    Option 2.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you talk to your friend before making your decision make sure that you're not being ripped off etc and not having to pay more than him. Just talk about everything and get the dad to write up a contract for all 3 of you and all sit down and talk about it.

Also, I agree with Jennie1987 about as long as it's cheaper than halls and being a good deal for you then it shouldn't matter.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.