Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Couple of questions about the ol' Student Finance application.

1. Should application be made before decision about firm/insurance choices is made?
    2. Interface gives me an option of a four or three year course for the particular course/uni I have applied for: does it matter which I pick now?
    3. At what point do I enter in details on parents? Do I have to "complete" application and then do it? How does this work?
    4. If I'm reasonably sure that my parents earn over the threshold for any kind of support, is it better to just apply for money w/out consideration of parent's financial situation?
    5. In the case of divorced parents, who "counts" as the people supporting me? Both of them? The one I spend most time with? What about their respective partners?

Apologies if any of these are obvious or well-known questions. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    1. Yes
    2. No. Pick 4 and change it later if you need to.
    3. After you have completed your bit and submitted it then your sponsor(s) can register themselves on the system and support your application. Or they can do it on paper (using a PFF1 form each)
    4. If combined household income is above £75,000 there is no point in having your sponsors complete the form.
    5. If they are divorced the income details which SFE will ask for would be from the parent you live with (or have most contact with if you do not live at home) plus their partner (if they live with one or are remarried)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASCIIcipher)
    4. If combined household income is above £75,000 there is no point in having your sponsors complete the form.
    5. If they are divorced the income details which SFE will ask for would be from the parent you live with (or have most contact with if you do not live at home) plus their partner (if they live with one or are remarried)
    Re: 4. That's gross, not net income I presume? i.e. literally what their job pays them per year, before tax etc.

Re: 5. Annoying: if only one could choose :P. Still at least all 4 sets of incomes aren't counted.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Gross income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Gross income.
    Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.