Turn on thread page Beta

Exam Phobia and Competitiveness watch

Announcements

Anon please, I'm so ashamed...

i think something is wrong with my brain, I am incapable of successfully completing any examination paper. I mean I haven't actually finished an entire exam completely ever since i started A levels.

but today was worst of all, because me and a classmate who used to be my friend (im not speaking to her anymore), we both had a sociology mock exam today, and all the time i felt so self-conscious that she was going to get a better result than me. i mean i knew she would anyway because she's a far better student than me and no one can argue against that because its true.

Result is, i couldn't write down any of the answers because i only knew them vaguely, and we had to write about 8 pages, so i spent about 2 hours just staring at the clock longing to get out of this akward situation.

anyway, no use saying "don't compare yourself to others" because sometimes it is unavoidable. in fact we must compare ourselves to others to make sure we're not falling behind. It is necessary, because on what basis do we judge and form ourselves if we don't compare ourselves to other people? For example we wouldn't know whether our IQ was average or above if we have nothing to compare it to.

so what do you think is wrong with me?

no answers like "believe in yourself" etc because although it is nice, it's just empty words.

thanks.

I've also been diagnosed with a learning disorder (dyslexia) which puts me at a disadvantage...

I feel so stupid.

ReputationRep:
    So what is your question? You can't understand why you are worse student than your formal friend given you seem to work/revise inefficiently and you can't answer the test questions?
    Well stop writing silly threads and go revise. Study hard , achieve better grades and so on..

There are exactly two kind of people:

1) Smart and intelligent - tend to get done with their academic work for far less time than others. Those people are "The Fast Learners" , they find the logic in the statements/problems and usually have good memory. However bad features that occur are laziness and lack of discipline.

2) Not that intelligent as the aforementioned ones - need significantly more time to cope with the workload and should put more efforts to see some good results. If they get used to putting the amount of work needed they usually succeed.

Which group you belong to?

P.S - I saw your last post - this explains everything ... don't worry , yes it does put you in disadvantage but you can get over it. Push harder :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Its not stupidity its nerves and probably a little lack of revision.
    on a general note, make sure you at least write something in an exam even if its mostly bs and a few things you do know, because some times bs works. Also try and prepare, figure out what works for you, some people its practcing questions others its reading over stuff, for you it might verbalising points.

As for comparisons, we all do it, especially at exam time, i've spent this week thinking i don't do enough revsion compared to other people, and it hasn't got me anywhere except into a panicy state. so i try to not listen to other people when they talk about work and set personal goals.

for me i say i'll do x amount of work and maybe try to improve it to y amout over time. just think about what you need to work on, and maybe instead of camparing your self to her, ask her if she wants to go over stuff as joint revision, or ask some one else who you are friends with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etnies)
    So what is your question? You can't understand why you are worse student than your formal friend given you seem to work/revise inefficiently and you can't answer the test questions?
    Well stop writing silly threads and go revise. Study hard , achieve better grades and so on..

1) Smart and intelligent - tend to get done with their academic work for far less time than others. Those people are "The Fast Learners" , they find the logic in the statements/problems and usually have good memory. However bad features that occur are laziness and lack of discipline.

2) Not that intelligent as the aforementioned ones - need significantly more time to cope with the workload and should put more efforts to see some good results. If they get used to putting the amount of work needed they usually succeed.

harsh! Also i know for a fack i fall into both these groups. You haven't taken into account how stress effects people or how people can succeed in some exams through crash revision instead of full understanding.

(Original post by etnies)

P.S - I saw your last post - this explains everything ... don't worry , yes it does put you in disadvantage but you can get over it. Push harder :yep:
    I'm dumb as my classmate so kindly pointed out, so I probably belong to the latter group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

i think something is wrong with my brain, I am incapable of successfully completing any examination paper. I mean I haven't actually finished an entire exam completely ever since i started A levels.

but today was worst of all, because me and a classmate who used to be my friend (im not speaking to her anymore), we both had a sociology mock exam today, and all the time i felt so self-conscious that she was going to get a better result than me. i mean i knew she would anyway because she's a far better student than me and no one can argue against that because its true.

Result is, i couldn't write down any of the answers because i only knew them vaguely, and we had to write about 8 pages, so i spent about 2 hours just staring at the clock longing to get out of this akward situation.

anyway, no use saying "don't compare yourself to others" because sometimes it is unavoidable. in fact we must compare ourselves to others to make sure we're not falling behind. It is necessary, because on what basis do we judge and form ourselves if we don't compare ourselves to other people? For example we wouldn't know whether our IQ was average or above if we have nothing to compare it to.

no answers like "believe in yourself" etc because although it is nice, it's just empty words.

thanks.
    Maybe you need to practice more papers and get the confident to do papers.

ReputationRep:
    I unerstand how you feel I'm constantly compared to others my parents always ask what certain clever people get and it annoys me cos everyone is different and what one person wants/can achieve is completely different to another we're all unique, learn in different ways and suceed differently :s it doesn't matter and that's what I've learnt over this january exam period we just have to ignore the comparisons and pressure, maybe you could ask your teachers if they could keep your results private i'm sure they'd be more than happy to do this and don't ask what others get and then you'll never know I don't like what people get in the exam cos we always get different answers they get annoyed with me when I don't tell them but idc cos it's what is important to you that matters if you ever need someone to talk to I'm always here! I hate competition the best way to avoid it is not know what others get, and them not know what you get then no one will ever know how clever/unclever you are your teachers will always understand if you have a preference you could ask to do it somewhere else I know many that do this

(Original post by SmileyGurl13)
    I unerstand how you feel I'm constantly compared to others my parents always ask what certain clever people get and it annoys me cos everyone is different and what one person wants/can achieve is completely different to another we're all unique, learn in different ways and suceed differently :s it doesn't matter and that's what I've learnt over this january exam period we just have to ignore the comparisons and pressure, maybe you could ask your teachers if they could keep your results private i'm sure they'd be more than happy to do this and don't ask what others get and then you'll never know I don't like what people get in the exam cos we always get different answers they get annoyed with me when I don't tell them but idc cos it's what is important to you that matters if you ever need someone to talk to I'm always here! I hate competition the best way to avoid it is not know what others get, and them not know what you get then no one will ever know how clever/unclever you are your teachers will always understand if you have a preference you could ask to do it somewhere else I know many that do this
    I understand where you're coming from, but in all honesty I think everyone should have the same standards, meaning that a C grade, for example, has the same implications for everybody, and isn't better or worse for certain people. Someone once pointed out for me a C was ok, but for her it was unacceptable. I don't agree with that, it's sort of implying that she's better. And she is, but still, it's sort of rude on her part to point it out.

And what's with all the smiley faces? lol.

ReputationRep:

thanks.
    Get off your arse and revise more. Apologies for the bluntness.

ReputationRep:
    I've also been diagnosed with a learning disorder (dyslexia) which puts me at a disadvantage...

I feel so stupid.
    That explains it. You're thick basically.

(Original post by micky022)
    Get off your arse and revise more. Apologies for the bluntness.
    Nah, don't apologise, you're right. But I really can't find the motivation to revise if I know I'm going to fail every time.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, don't apologise, you're right. But I really can't find the motivation to revise if I know I'm going to fail every time.
    You won't fail if you revise. If you want something, put the work in. Crap in equals crap out. :yep:

any1 else?

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about doing a subject that you really enjoy? That you feel you want to read and revise as much as possible, because it fascinates you? Having dyslexia isn't the end of the world. I had to study dyslexia as part of my Psychology course, and alot of people with it, if they put in enough effort, can become just as good readers as anyone else. One guy even managed to become a pretty important professor in America.

(Original post by laura_m16)
    Have you thought about doing a subject that you really enjoy? That you feel you want to read and revise as much as possible, because it fascinates you? Having dyslexia isn't the end of the world. I had to study dyslexia as part of my Psychology course, and alot of people with it, if they put in enough effort, can become just as good readers as anyone else. One guy even managed to become a pretty important professor in America.
    thanks, but I do enjoy most aspects of sociology. the only part of it i dont enjoy is having my douche classmate right behind me.

bump.

ReputationRep:
    You need to find a way to make the info stick in your brain better so that you're able to recall it better under exam conditions and be able to give examples to explain what you mean to show you understand.

Yes dyslexia may put you at a disadvantage - you're not happy with what you're doing just now, so it's worth trying to find a new way to absorb all the info you need. I have developed my own style over a number of years - many people will think it is pretty weird but it works for me. You need to find what works for you - you're not your friend - Their revision methods might not work for you, so you need to focus in more on yourself.

I know to you grades are important, but I'm always just relieved I've passed first before considering what grade I got

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.