Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Exam Phobia and Competitiveness watch

Announcements

Awh :console:
    Don't be paranoid about it. Some of us have definitely felt the same thing during exams!
    But think about it, will worrying actually do any good? It took me a while to realise myself that I can be just as good (if not better) as the most competitive girls in my class ( I never talked about this, and used to think it was silly to think in a way that I did, when infact it was normal)
    So what if she is good? You can be good as well. There is NO point in comparing. Well you could, and the results would be that you can be both good at the subject; and not just you two. But many others who are taking the same exam. Who said you can't get a mark you want? Want to prove her wrong? Why not? (or others idk)
    I don't think there is another way preventing this
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I couldn't write down any of the answers because i only knew them vaguely
    except actually revising and learning what you need for the exam :no:

lol thanks for the video.

ReputationRep:
    I have the competitiveness thing too. While I was waiting for my AS results last year, it got to the point where I wasn't necessarily thinking "I've done my best so I hope I've done well"... I was thinking "I hope I have better results than everyone else I know". It's an awful way to think, but I use that incredibly competitive element of my personality to spur me on rather than let someone else cut ahead of me. Rather than throwing away a grade, you should at least give yourself a shot at doing well by writing SOMETHING. Even if you see the question and think "OK what the hell is this?", I think it's better to just put down EVERYTHING you know that even vaguely relates to it than just to sit and wait for the exam to be over.

(Original post by Quail)
    I have the competitiveness thing too. While I was waiting for my AS results last year, it got to the point where I wasn't necessarily thinking "I've done my best so I hope I've done well"... I was thinking "I hope I have better results than everyone else I know". It's an awful way to think, but I use that incredibly competitive element of my personality to spur me on rather than let someone else cut ahead of me. Rather than throwing away a grade, you should at least give yourself a shot at doing well by writing SOMETHING. Even if you see the question and think "OK what the hell is this?", I think it's better to just put down EVERYTHING you know that even vaguely relates to it than just to sit and wait for the exam to be over.
    I did actually write as much as I could, but it was only a page and a half of information and that is not nearly enough for the amount of information and analysis we have to include. the fact that all the questions are essays doesn't help either. How on earth were we supposed to write two long essays (4 pages each) and two short essays (1 page each) in two hours? I have no idea, but apparently most A level students can manage.

i have parents evening next tuesday and im dreading it because of this. when the results come i dont even want to know what I got, i know ive failed big-time.

im a loser.

bump.

I got my result back...it's a U. Big surprise haha.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.