Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge vs Warwick watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right so here's my situation...

IF you don't want to read this all just scroll down to the questions where I said firstly, ...

I'm in year 12 and I've already done my maths As-level (see reults in sig) and I'm currently studying maths, f maths, chem and physics all going alrite except physics. :P

I definitely, definitely want to study maths at university WITHOUT a doubt :P

I'm aiming for really good universities as I think I'm fairly talented at it, I want a challenge, I love it and have a passion for it and I think my grades so far are pretty good :P

Previously for quite a while I've been dead set on going to Cambridge it's been my dream but lately I've started to consider the possibility that it's not right for me. I mean all the time I'm constantly stressing that I have to be the best at maths, I have to get perfect results in all the modules and it's been upsetting me cos now I don't really think it's worth all this hard work and panics and I just now that if I've set my heart on it and I get rejected it will kill me. So at the moment and I think for the forseeable future I'm off Cambridge, and tbh if I got an offer right now I'd reject it :/

I don't know if this is the way to go.

Firstly should I apply? I mean if I got an offer I'd probably reject it anyways cos I don't think i'd enjoy it.

Secondly, Is Warwick good for maths? What do you guys think of it?

Thirdly, I think people will be disappointed not so much my family cos they just want me to be happy but my teachers :/ everyone seems to think i'm 'amazing' at maths they expect me to get 100% in modules v_v I hate this pressure which is one of the reasons I don't want to apply it makes me not enjoy maths! My friends were a bit shocked when I said I wasn't going to apply >< they are all like 'you'll get in easily' but this is sooo untrue! It's really hard to get into Oxbridge and I'm not even that naturally talented at maths!

So my question is ... which uni Warwick or Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Apply to both and then see which one gives you a place?
    And then if you get an offer from both go on open days and see which one you prefer?

ReputationRep:
    Apply to both and see who gives you an offer. Then decide. Remeber, nothings set in stone, neither of them may give you an offer, only one of them may give you an offer. You do have 5 choices after all

ReputationRep:
    You have 5 choices. You're asking a question like you already have offers from both:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeanMachine)
    You have 5 choices. You're asking a question like you already have offers from both:rolleyes:
    Your name suits you. I just like to have my life sorted and decided what university I want to go to :/ is that a problem your royal highness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Yes Warwick is good for maths...where else are you thinking of applying? I'd say apply for Cambridge (you may feel different later or when you see the place?) the only thing you have to loose is a slot for another university.

PS I moved your thread to the Mathematics forum
    Thank you, you are kind no sarcasm intended :P You do chem right? Where?

ReputationRep:
    you're just over thinking everything, you've not even finished year 12 yet...

do you even have 4 other universities you want to go to - and the last spot is between warwick and cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyGurl13)
    Your name suits you. I just like to have my life sorted and decided what university I want to go to :/ is that a problem your royal highness?
    You need to chill, being forward thinking is one thing, being a douche is another, the point is, deciding now is going to give you no advantage at all, and you're bound to change from now to when you potentially receive university offers.

Just chill out and work on your AS levels, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    1, what does your name mean
    2, bath, leceister and imperial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueJ-)
    You need to chill, being forward thinking is one thing, being a douche is another, the point is, deciding now is going to give you no advantage at all, and you're bound to change from now to when you potentially receive university offers.

Just chill out and work on your AS levels, good luck!
    Yeah but... my college what's info and to start working with potential oxbridge students and I have to go to conferences and take days out of school so I'm wondering if it's worth it :|

ReputationRep:
    sounds like your name doesn't suit you :o:

ReputationRep:
    There's no vs. about it. Apply to both, nothing to lose. Either way, you'd be doing STEP, (albeit easier STEP at Warwick), so that's not a factor. But right now, don't worry about it at all. Once your ASs are sorted, then you can think about Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Apply. I've wanted to apply to Oxford for years and even though I might reject it (If I get an offer from Edinburgh), I would have regretted it for ever had I not applied. It's a great experience if yo uget an interview, and you never know what you might feel later. You have five places to apply to. Don't spend one on something where you'll always think 'I could've applied to Cambridge'.

ReputationRep:
    1, what does your name mean
    2, bath, leceister and imperial
    so apply to cambridge, warwick, bath, leceister and imperial. problem solved

IF, which is a big if, you get an offer from Cambridge, deal with it then

ReputationRep:
    Just apply to both?

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks guys you've helped a lot :P Maybe I am overreacting just all my friends are talking about it, teachers are talking about it, family are talking about it so it made me talk about it pahaha
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Apply for both, see what happens, both are extremely highly rated for maths...and if you're having to do STEP anyway might as well get the most out of it :yep: personally when I was applying for maths I knew I didn't want to apply for Cambridge but I loved Warwick...but everyone else in my STEP class was applying for Cambridge, it's a matter of personal preference at the end of the day :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Don't let your friends influence your decision to start off with. I'm getting the impression you need to enjoy maths more rather than see it as a competition. When I do modules, I'll try to get full marks, but its more of a fun think and I don't really mind if I make blunders. Between when you apply, visit Cambridge (or I'd like to think I can draw you to applying to Oxford instead :P) and look at the atmosphere. That's the real only variable you should be considering.

Don't let your parents get too involved. They mean well but can tell you the wrong stuff. By the way, nice a-levels! (same as mine)

ReputationRep:
    Apply to cambridge, definitely.
    I've heard a lot about warwick and if they were to do non graduate medicine I would have definitely applied there too..
    I never imagined I'd get into cambridge, and I didn't kill myself for the grades I got..
    Take things easy and apply to cambridge.. If you get in without stressing so much, you might realise it is managable..
    Both universities are brilliant and will have their own positive and negative aspects.. Visit open days to help you make up your mind, and research the differences in the actual courses..
    And cambridge has about half of the year on holiday, so its better in that sense lol..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie10538)
    Don't let your friends influence your decision to start off with. I'm getting the impression you need to enjoy maths more rather than see it as a competition. When I do modules, I'll try to get full marks, but its more of a fun think and I don't really mind if I make blunders. Between when you apply, visit Cambridge (or I'd like to think I can draw you to applying to Oxford instead :P) and look at the atmosphere. That's the real only variable you should be considering.

Don't let your parents get too involved. They mean well but can tell you the wrong stuff. By the way, nice a-levels! (same as mine)
    My uncle is a lecturer at Oxford and spent his whole visit persuading me to go there instead of Cambridge IT FAILED :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.