Turn on thread page Beta

Urgent help needed with my A-Level choices!!!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently in year 11 doing my GCSE's. And i need to choose my alevel choices by the end of the month.

At the moment my projected grades for GCSE are;
    2 A stars (which are in Maths and PE)
    6 A's
    2 B's

So i can pretty much get into whichever A-level course i want

As a career im not exaclty sure what i want to do but iv got a few vague ideas and i deffinatly want to go on to university, but i dont know what couse i want to studie. Im very good at PE and probably will do that at a level becuase i quite enjoy it. But i dont really think that i want to do it further than that so i dont want to base my choices all around it.

My next best subject is Maths and and am deffinatly going to do it at A-levl becuse i enjoy it and also hear that its highly regaded at universities. Also i an seriously considdering a career in finance or economics.

Maths is is a deffinate.
    PE is a probability but not a sertainty.

My other options are;
    Economics & business (some people say this is boring- is it?)
    Bioligey
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Geography
    Phsycology
    ICT
    Sociology

I am open to any sugestions.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    good choice on maths, it's a really good course to do at A levels, and as for your other choices, if you enjoy science the classic recommendation would be: Chemistry and Biology.
    I personally don't think you should do ICT, only because it has alot of coursework (you might like that) and I think other courses are more helpful to get into university.
    I dropped psychology at AS, tbh it's a interesting subject, but i just didn't like the teachers so i ended up giving it up.
    Maths & Physics are interlinked to a certain extent, so I think you should consider doing that, its a good solid subject and universities like to see a science, but again, that depends on what course you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    well we cant tell you people are different you might enjoy different things
    i take law, psycology and sociology and A2 iv loved Psycology found it really interesting
    im not a big fan of sociology its very opinionated with many different theories and people arguing with each other

ReputationRep:
    Just do the subjects you enjoy most--psychology is very interesting and goes well with biology if you like science.

ReputationRep:
    Maths + Physics + Essay based subject

That would allow you to do most degrees, add Chemistry if you want to do a science

ReputationRep:
    You should pick subjects that you'll enjoy putting the effort into. i can tell you right away that chemistry is a massive step up from GCSE, as is Physics. you're more likely to do well if you're interested in the subject itself rather than being interested in the doors it might open years down the line.
    Biology is a good choice, its not particularly difficult, theres a few new things to learn, it incorporates elements of maths and chemistry from time to time, the only downside (as with any science) are the HSW (how science works) questions in the exam, which are irritating

ReputationRep:
    Do not do PE!
    My sister did it and although she got an A (and 3 As overall) she was rejected by every decent uni because it is not considered a serious subject.
    She got into KCL by cheating a little bit and applying to a low demand course and dropping the low demand bit but the point remains PE = BAD!

ps. don't do eng lit if that is how you actually spell normally

ReputationRep:
    i took biology, maths, eng lit and history.
    don't believe them when you hear that bio is the 'easy' science.
    it isn't. it is v different from chem and physics but no easier. there are parts of my friends Alevel chem course that she finds easy because of bio.
    try searching a few random uni courses.

my main thing would be to take chem if you take any sci. its hard but by far the one unis want if you only have one.
    i wished i'd taken chem really.
    try taking an art? it changes how you think which can be wonderful!

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adale)
    My other options are;
    Economics & business (some people say this is boring- is it?)
    Bioligey
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Geography
    Phsycology
    ICT
    Sociology
    Hehehe, your spelling of 'Biology' really amused me! But on a serious note: I wouldn't suggest an essay-based subject if spelling isn't a strong point of yours.

It depends on your ability, but if you're doing maths I would do Physics too - it is tricky if you're not interested, though. Then again, if you do P.E., I'd suggest Biology. It purely depends on what course you'd like to do at university. Some require a humanity A-level, others require maths, others require a certain combination. It's definitely worth doing some research.

Basically, try to get cohesion between your subjects. Out of your list, I would do Maths, Physics, Biology and Psychology, but that's purely because I'm interested in all four of those.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.