Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

hi
    since starting college ive really drifted from most of my high school friends, all but 1 go to a different college than me and its making me really depressed, they werent really good friends of mine tbh but they are truly all i have and so losing them means i literally have no one, i have friends at college but it wont develop into anything further because they have their own groups, ive tried breaking into one but it seems because they have their existing friends around them they dont care as much. Facebook isnt helping this issue really aswell because my high school friends are always putting pictures up of their outings and it makes me feel really sad i just wanted to know whether this was normal, and should i just get on with it and hope to make better friends at uni maybe? :confused:
    any advice at all would be appreciated loads:yep:

Aww this happened to me. My closest friends went to a different sixth form to me. I just had to put myself out there! Find people you have something in common with and the rest is history! The thing is, if you're not used to making new friends, then i don't see how it will be any better when you get to uni. Start from now, so by then you'll be an expert!

p.s. EVERYONE on facebook looks as if they're having a laugh. Don't fret

ReputationRep:
    happened to me too, in a way i think you have to forget about your old friends so that you fully throw yourself into making new friends. i think that's what i didn't do very well! but i learnt in time for uni!

EDIT: of course once you have made friends with people at your new place, try to see your old friends as much as possible!
    the positives of this is you find out who your real friends are... the one's who make the effort to keep in touch!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.