The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The 'Right to Euthanasia' is overruled by the 'Right to Not Be Killed'.
Reply 2
No. I think suicide is the most selfish thing anyone can do. Suicide is a sin.

In graveyards, churches used to reserve spaces for people guilty of suicide because it was unhallowed ground. I agree with this.
Reply 3
MSB
The 'Right to Euthanasia' is overruled by the 'Right to Not Be Killed'.
Equally, the law against rape is overruled by consent, quite sensibly as I'm sure that virtually all would agree.
As a point of interest, Debbie Purdy's case decided that there's no "right to death" like there is a "right to life".

I think the main reason for not legalising euthanasia/assisted suicide (call it what you will) is that it's clearly a controversial issue, and the status quo of making it illegal but not always prosecuting works. Of course, there's also the potentially fallacious "slippery slope" argument from disability groups who are concerned about vulnerable people being "put out of their misery".
Reply 5
No I think doctors should do their best to reduce the pain and suffering of the sick, not kill them.
Reply 6
sweetqueen

In graveyards, churches used to reserve spaces for people guilty of suicide because it was unhallowed ground. I agree with this.
:biggrin: I don't think they'll care where the heck they've been buried once they're gone. You can throw me to the wolves when I've croaked for all I care.

Do you have a similar opinion on vets "putting down" animals, a very routine procedure? Would you be willing to protest against this procedure?
Reply 7
sweetqueen

I do not agree with this! If someone is suffering from a terminal illness its their right to decide if they want that suffering to continue or not.
No, you could say you have a right to take your own life. But you certainly don't have a right to have someone kill you, you can't force people to kill you.
I think a lot of people struggle to empathise with people who are dying. I dont mean that people dont care but its impossible for someone who has never been in that possition to know what they should do. I think if someone is of sound mind and wants to die then they should be allowed to end their life rather than face a prolonged drawn-out painful and undignified death
Reply 10
KatieCruel
I do not agree with this! If someone is suffering from a terminal illness its their right to decide if they want that suffering to continue or not.

No they shouldn't. It's selfish to kill yourself.
Reply 11
Mr Sparkles
No, you could say you have a right to take your own life. But you certainly don't have a right to have someone kill you, you can't force people to kill you.
There would have to be consent by both parties and stringent regulation (the procedure perhaps taking place in a hospital supervised by a doctor etc.). No one would be forced to kill another person, of course that's unjust. It would be similar to the right to healthcare. No one is forced to become a doctor, but those that do become doctors are expected to help people in need and agree to do so.
It's a long way off a right yet, but yeah I think I do see it as a right. The way it is, you have more of a responsibility to live and if you want to die it's illegal basically. Right to life? It's not exactly a right when if you don't want the right, then tough ****, it's illegal not to have this right. (Oh, and I know I'm saynig this all wrong, I don't mean in any way that people shouldn't have the right to life!!). So yeah, you shouldn't have to live. It's not right that it's seen as 'sinful' and wrong to die if you want to. I think euthanasia should be legal as long as you have good reason (terminal illness/paralysed/a lot of pain, etc), there is proof that YOU made the decision and weren't pressured (tough prrof to get there) and it's not a spontaineous decision.
Reply 13
sweetqueen
Why?

Do your religious beliefs play a strong role in your opinion?
Reply 14
jismith1989
Equally, the law against rape is overruled by consent, quite sensibly as I'm sure that virtually all would agree.

The circumstances of consensual sex -> rape are quite different to euthanasia -> murder, so you can't lift the structure of one to understand the other. The dynamics of the 'perpetrator' and 'victim' is different between them.
I absolutely agree it is a human right.
My mum has multiple sclerosis, and although it is not currently that bad, her condition will only continue to deteriorate. When it does eventually get to the point where she can no longer talk, for example, she is totally convinced she will not want to suffer, and why should she? I would never be able to help her die myself - I cry at Eastenders, let alone real life - but I am totally supportive of any decision she should make.
I don't think you can really make a judgment on euthanasia until you find yourself in this sort of position. If someone has an incurable disease, it is - or it should be - absolutely their choice whether they want their suffering to be prolonged.
Definitely a human right. How can anybody else tell you what you must do with your life?
Reply 17
MSB
The circumstances of consensual sex -> rape are quite different to euthanasia -> murder, so you can't lift the structure of one to understand the other. The dynamics of the 'perpetrator' and 'victim' is different between them.
Obviously, I disagree, so in what ways, do you believe, are the dynamics different?
I suppose that everyone should have the right to die if they want to. Though, I'm not necessarily a supporter of things like suicide, as I find it selfish in many cases. I'm not religious though, and don't consider it a sin. I'm against involuntary euthanasia though.
Reply 19
sweetqueen

Euthanasia isn't suicide. People have a right to die in a dignified way if that is their wish.

Latest