Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    how can you imagine that horrible thoughts, anyways wouldn't you rather want to be buried and not burned or left in the sea?
    Like I previously said, I would be dead, without conscious (i.e. no feeling, awareness or thought) therefore my body would essentionally be a piece of meat. That is why I have always said (not on a forum) that once im dead the doctors can have my organs as they are of little use to the corpse that I would be.

ReputationRep:
    Why should someone have to ask permission to end their life.

That's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely see the argment that someone should have a right to end their life when they want without the state intervening.

However, a full out legalization of euthanasia might cause some serious problems. Elderly people and those with illnesses may feel like they should kill themselves so as not to be a burden on society and could possibly be even pressurized by some to do this. We should be trying to give these people some self dignity and legalizing euthanasia could well make this difficult.

It may also lead to the quality of our care for those with terminal illnesses diminishing and could lead to people losing faith in our health service - as in Holland.

That's why I think our current system with euthanasia being technically illegal but basically never prosecuted is a good balance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammiebreadman)
    It may also lead to the quality of our care for those with terminal illnesses diminishing and could lead to people losing faith in our health service - as in Holland.
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    But it is not a question of actively using or not using your Right to Not Be Killed, because you are giving the agency over to the person with the syringe. If you were able to choose whether you could exercise or not that particular right, you wouldn't be in the situation where you needed to be euthanised by someone else.
    I don't understand what distinction you're making and why it matters, could you clarify?

ReputationRep:
    It is
    If the person has said that at a point of a terminal illness I would like to die then they should be proscribed the drugs to take when they would like to, its a better way to go.

Oh, and if the point comes where thy die naturally, then they kew they had the option.

ReputationRep:

Um, what? I am Dutch and although my faith in out health service is pretty weak at the moment that has nothing to do with euthanisia. I could be an exception of course, but I have to say this isn't something I hear around me either. But anyway, a source please?

It's not like assisted euthanasia happens left, right and centre here... It is still rare, but I believe it is a human right. Doctors are allowed to help someone die ONLY if they are entirely sure that that person is really sure that they no longer want to live. It is never a spur of the moment decision. And I completely agree that it is a right. If someone is in constant pain, chronically depressed, and cannot enjoy life in any way any more, who is someone else to say "killing yourself is selfish"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoebeZeitgeist)
    Um, what? I am Dutch and although my faith in out health service is pretty weak at the moment that has nothing to do with euthanisia. I could be an expection of course, but I have to say this isn't something I hear around me either. But anyway, a source please?

It's not like assisted euthanasia happens left, right and centre here... It is still rare, but I believe it is a human right. Doctors are allowed to help someone die ONLY if they are entirely sure that that person is really sure that they no longer want to live. It is never a spur of the moment decision. And I completely agree that it is a right. If someone is in constant pain, chronically depressed, and cannot enjoy life in any way any more, who is someone else to say "killing yourself is selfish"?
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Source?
    http://www.mededtrust.org.uk/hippocratictradition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaniLou17)
    Ha!! noooooo no way my mums like my best friend it would be the hardest thing id ever have to do but if she wanted it i would do it

anyways shes only like 40 iv got a good few years yet !!!
    ok, if you love your mum that much refrain from saying things like if mum had that disease..etc is not good and be a good girl to your mum lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetqueen)
    No. I think suicide is the most selfish thing anyone can do. Suicide is a sin.

In graveyards, churches used to reserve spaces for people guilty of suicide because it was unhallowed ground. I agree with this.
    What an ignorent facist...
    Its free will, just because you see it as sin dosnt mean you have to enforce you ideals on the rest of us.
    Why dont you carry on, not killing yourself, and let people in vegative states slip away peacefully, yea? :hippie:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is.

ReputationRep:
    If true that's pretty worrying but it'd be a problem with how it's done, not with the concept of euthanasia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    ok, if you love your mum that much refrain from saying things like if mum had that disease..etc is not good and be a good girl to your mum lol
    How incredibly patronizing... I totally agree with her. IF my mother explicitly told me she would not want to live through a certain disease if it got very bad, and I knew she meant it, and she verified it again at the time, who would I be to deny her that? I am not saying it would be nice and I wouldn't like it, but who am I to force someone to live?
    And yes, my mum means a lot to me.

ReputationRep:
    That is worrying, I didn't know about this investigation... There was quite some controversy about euthanasia (about a year ago I would say, I don't know for sure any more) and it was to do with the execution etc., but from what I recal (damn my memory :rolleyes:) it was more to do with certain doctors not wanting to help people with euthanasia. The only thing I can say is that these statistics are quite old, and that hopefully the situation has improved.
    Edit: execution is a very poorly chosen word... But I am sure you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    If true that's pretty worrying but it'd be a problem with how it's done, not with the concept of euthanasia.
    Of course. Classicist though I am, we shouldn't let a millenia old text overule our ideals.

Besides, that website is merely material from a polemic pamphlet; it is far from impartial.

ReputationRep:
    That is worrying, I didn't know about this investigation... There was quite some controversy about euthanasia (about a year ago I would say, I don't know for sure any more) and it was to do with the execution etc., but from what I recal (damn my memory :rolleyes:) it was more to do with certain doctors not wanting to help people with euthanasia. The only thing I can say is that these statistics are quite old, and that hopefully the situation has improved.
    Edit: execution is a very poorly chosen word... But I am sure you know what I mean.
    Are doctors in the Netherlands required to help patients who want euthanasia?? Is there no conscientious object rule or something??

ReputationRep:
    the right to death

ReputationRep:
    :giggle:

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    How incredibly patronizing... I totally agree with her. IF my mother explicitly told me she would not want to live through a certain disease if it got very bad, and I knew she meant it, and she verified it again at the time, who would I be to deny her that? I am not saying it would be nice and I wouldn't like it, but who am I to force someone to live?
    And yes, my mum means a lot to me.
    I guess I'm not emotionally strong to have to go through that, even though it's patronizing. Anyways just pray that nothing bad happens to your mum(not saying that something will happen).

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.