Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to Exeter for Philosophy and Politics, got my offer, AAB. And while I'd still love to study it - the idea of doing Arabic Studies or International Relations is sounding more and more appealing as time goes by. How does Exeter feel about you changing courses? Would I just ask when I got there (provided I make the grades)? If I can't its not the end of the world - I applied for Philosophy and Politics for a reason, I find it fascinating - but I would like that option to change open to me.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody could give you an answer with certainty so I suggest contacting the university and asking them directly.

Given the steep rise in Exeter's popularity generally, your ability to swap will depend on whether there are any places left, and whether or not the reserve list is lengthy (if there is such a list for the course). It will also depend on your grades (predicated grades and actual grades), and whether the degree course you are interested in asks for higher grades than your current predicated grades. If you switch degree courses, you may also find you are less likely (or more likely) to be accepted if you fail to meet the grades.

Since we (as students) don't have access to such information, I would have thought that the only people who could answer your questions properly are the admissions tutors and administrators at the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pricerrr)
    I've applied to Exeter for Philosophy and Politics, got my offer, AAB. And while I'd still love to study it - the idea of doing Arabic Studies or International Relations is sounding more and more appealing as time goes by. How does Exeter feel about you changing courses? Would I just ask when I got there (provided I make the grades)? If I can't its not the end of the world - I applied for Philosophy and Politics for a reason, I find it fascinating - but I would like that option to change open to me.
    This thread was started a month ago, so I was just wondering as to if you did contact Exeter. I'm in the same boat, but I potentially want to change to Politics. Did Exeter let you change? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for French and Italian and inquired several times after receiving an offer about changing to French and Arabic. They told me to wait until A-level results day. I missed a few points on my IB results day and they once again told me to inquire in August by which time I'd gotten a job and thought that I'd just reapply for 2010 entry so I didn't even call up in August.

In September I got a letter telling me that I'd been accepted for French and Italian and that they'd see me at the university in October!! I emailed and asked to change course and defer my entry. I heard back a few weeks later and now I have an unconditional for French and Arabic in 2010

So I'd say their admissions team isn't as stuffy as people think. But my personal statement was amazing so I guess it depends on the person.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.