Turn on thread page Beta

Noticed that my eyesight has deteriorated recently. What should I do?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay by recently I mean last year or two. I used to have really good vision and still do sometimes. However I have noticed now that when I am sat at the back of the class at school I find it hard to read the board when others can. I admit that I have used my laptop and xbox 360 quite a lot in the past couple of years so I'm pretty sure that's why. However I REALLY don't wanna wear glasses. I'm not vain and I'm not good looking either but I just don't wanna wear 'em. Is there any 'tips' that you can give me? Like how to decrease a computer's effect on my eyes and such? I'm defineitly going to start going on my laptop and xbox less. Also, my brother wears glasses and I realised how my eyes were when I tried them on and weren't blurry like glasses used to be if you didn't need em. Do you think just wearing glasses when on computer would help? Help is appreciated guys.

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar problem about 5 years ago, in that my eyesight was decent, and then suddenly it deteriorated to the extent I couldn't see something written on the board a few metres away. You could always get contact lenses instead of glasses?

ReputationRep:
    if your brother needs glasses then its probably hereditary, not because of the screen time. Get yourself to an optician. If you don't want glasses get contact lenses. There are some cheap deals out there.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely get contacts or glasses. You may start getting headaches and they're not fun!

ReputationRep:
    definitely ask TSR, definitely.

haha i bet you can't even see this, you speccy ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonstudentgirl)
    if your brother needs glasses then its probably hereditary, not because of the screen time. Get yourself to an optician. If you don't want glasses get contact lenses. There are some cheap deals out there.
    Yes but my mum said that contact lenses require cleaning every day and replacing and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    not necessarily. you can get dailies. I have them. All you do is open the packet each day and put them in. Then you take them out and put them in the bin. Just go and get your eyes checked and they can give you all the options. Specsavers is good.

ReputationRep:
    Just get a pair of glasses, chicks dig them Thats if you want to avoid the the cost of daily contacts or washing singulars each night

Its better then straining your eyes even more!

ReputationRep:
    Same problem. I look horrible in glasses so I just got contacts.

I can only where them 8 hours a day, so I can get by during school and use glasses when necessary. Also, depending on what glasses you get, they could make you look good.

I heard that in England its common for students with perfect vision to buy glasses just because they look 'intellectual'...thats taking it a bit far imo..

ReputationRep:
    My eyesight has always been perfect and I've never had to wear glasses or contacts :ta:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vedderfan94)
    Yes but my mum said that contact lenses require cleaning every day and replacing and stuff?
    It's actually pretty simple -- at night I just take mine out and put them in the case with the cleaning solution, and then when I get up in the morning and put them back in they are clean. You don't have to spend half an hour scrubbing them with a tiny brush or anything like that. Then at the end of the month you just put them in the bin and open a new pair.

I'm on contract with Specsavers so every three months I get three more sets of contact lenses in the post. It's £13 a month and if I accidentally lose or tear one of them I can just go into the shop and get a free replacement. Pretty good imo.

Wearing glasses isn't great but it's definitely worth getting tested. Beats not being able to see a ******* thing.

edit: Oh, and wearing glasses when you look at the computer probably wouldn't help because it sounds like you are nearsighted -- stuff that's nearby, like the computer screen, is still easy to see. It's the distant stuff that's the problem and that's what you would need glasses or contact lenses for.

ReputationRep:
    I had the exact same problem in Year 10. At first I thought it was simply the teachers rubbish board pen, and I couldn't see because it was too faint. But then big bold typed up posters began to become harder to see. I tried on a mates glasses and realized that I needed them.

I was really against the idea of glasses at first, but it's better then not being able to see the board in class. I can see pretty much everything else fine. However, I think I'm going to get contacts soon :O.

ReputationRep:
    Stop masturbating so much. They say it makes you go blind...

ReputationRep:
    If it's a recent development (though a year is probably stretching it), it might just be pseudomyopia (as opposed to axial myopia) and should be easily reversible by taking the stress off your eyes (i.e. blink often, don't ever strain to see, try moving your eyes more than your head when looking at different things to give the muscles some exercise etc.).
    If it's real axial myopia (elongated eyeball) and you're into alternative stuff, might want to look up Bates Method, but that's as much as I'm willing to say.
    More importantly though, if you find that your myopia is very mild (like only not being able to see the blackboard clearly from the back of the room, but a bit closer to it you see fine) and you're not too bothered about not having perfect vision, then it's really not necessary to wear glasses (that is if you're not squinting/straining to see on purpose; if you are, then might as well get glasses), with mild myopia you could probably drive a car legally without glasses which should indicate that your visual acuity is enough for most kinds of activities.
    If you do get glasses, I'd advise you to use them for distance vision only since that's what they're made for (minus lenses). If you do close work with your glasses when they're not needed it does no good to you and might actually prompt your myopia to progress.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me at 15. Get glasses, they stop it getting worse, or at least decrease the speed. The harder you try to view things out of focus the more damage youre gonna do long term. Why not just get contacts?

ReputationRep:
    Eye test - simple, then you can get contact lenses

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.