Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm just curious, in case the worst happens and I get no medical offers, if I take up the BSc Biomedical Science at Sheffield will I still be able to attempt to apply for a 5-year medical course. Who would be the one to give my reference? My new university tutor? My old 6th form tutor? Will it look really bad, show a lack of commitment? Would I lose my student loans/grants etc.?

I really don't want a gap year, so I might as well take it up if I fail to get anywhere and if applying during the course is untenable, then I'll try and get GEM afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Admission tutors realy, really, really dislike people who are in their first year of a degree. It means you'll have to drop out of one course to join a new one. If you were really "dedicated" then you would have taken a gap year to gain valuble experience not a year of a degree that you will no longer need.

Also, im not really sure how student loans work if you drop out of a course and start again, but you will have to shoulder an extra years debt for that years costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    Admission tutors realy, really, really dislike people who are in their first year of a degree. It means you'll have to drop out of one course to join a new one. If you were really "dedicated" then you would have taken a gap year to gain valuble experience not a year of a degree that you will no longer need.

Also, im not really sure how student loans work if you drop out of a course and start again, but you will have to should an extra years debt for that years costs.
    I know, but the courses are so similar and it's generally obvious that a number of people doing Biomedical Science would prefer to be doing medicine. If that factors into anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    I know, but the courses are so similar and it's generally obvious that a number of people doing Biomedical Science would prefer to be doing medicine. If that factors into anything.
    thats not how med schools see it. they see it as lack of dedication to medicine. why would a med school want a student who cant finish their first course?

best thing to do would be to take a gap year and work in a hospital. then next year your application would be so much better.

surly it would be easier to get feed back from the unis you are rejected from and use the year to make the changes.

also some people who go into biomed do want to become biomedical scientists (or similar). not everyone on a biomed course wants to be a doctor.

doing the 1st year of biomed would go against your apllication to med school not for it.

ReputationRep:
    st. andrews don't hold it against you if you are in your first year...see their website.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.