Turn on thread page Beta

All-you-can-drink pub offers facing ban watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8465939.stm

I would really question why the government thinks it has the right to tell people how much they are allowed to drink. Alcohol is not illegal, whether or not I choose to buy the stuff and put it into my own body is my own bloody choice and no one else's.

I find it patronising and downright offensive that the government thinks it right, for my own good no less, to attempt to coerce me (through the coercion of private businesses) to drink less.

Why is there so much support for anti-drinker policies such as these?

ReputationRep:
    Because it's an easier option than having proper punishments for those prats who get in fights and piss everywhere, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    The government should get the **** out of peoples lives. Well thats what you get for voting labour.

ReputationRep:
    they will ban all you can eat soon aswell lol

ReputationRep:
    I, personally, don't see the problem with this.

ReputationRep:
    ill drink as much as i like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxTib)

Don't let the population suffer due to the stupidity of a few. Its not the government's job to decide what is "in our best interests".

There is still nothing stopping you from drinking the same amount of alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)

I would really question why the government thinks it has the right to tell people how much they are allowed to drink. Alcohol is not illegal, whether or not I choose to buy the stuff and put it into my own body is my own bloody choice and no one else's.

I find it patronising and downright offensive that the government thinks it right, for my own good no less, to attempt to coerce me (through the coercion of private businesses) to drink less.

Thats quite an illogical way of thinking of it. There was a time when loads of things weren't illegal that are now so if you accept the Governments right to make things illegal - this is the logical way of going around it.

I don't particulary support the policies, but I'm sure there is a lot of support because of the huge amounts of anti-social behaviour and violence caused by alcohol consumption and the big drain on the NHS (even though you could argue the tax on alcohol funds that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    Don't let the population suffer due to the stupidity of a few. Its not the government's job to decide what is "in our best interests".
    Because the majority want all-you-can-drink?

ReputationRep:
    regards, New Labour.

ReputationRep:
    First they went after the smokers, but I didn't speak out as I wasn't a smoker
    Then they went after the drinkers, but I didn't speak out as I wasn't a drinker
    Then they came after me.......

Do you think the government owns us, then?

ReputationRep:
    I just thought....oh well heres to more pre drinks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Do you think the government owns us, then?
    That is a bit of a ridiculous and emotive question.

No, of course the government doesn't 'own us'. On most issues I consider myself a libertarian, but seeing the moronic drinking culture all around me that we have in this country and all the rammifications that is has for the rest of our society and culture, I don't believe that encouraging heavy drinking is a good thing. And I am not convinced by the '*** u ill do wot i want' critique either - why aren't we up in arms that we have to wear seatbelts in cars, or what we are no longer allowed to use our mobile phones whilst driving? Why are you not all saying 'god damn it, I will call who I want when I want regardless as to the effect it has on others'?

Ideally, I would like the UK to have stricter drinking laws such as in Scandinavia. I am not a teetotaller or anything of the sort. I just believe that there is a deep drinking problem in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    regards, New Labour.
    (Original post by paella)
    The government should get the **** out of peoples lives. Well thats what you get for voting labour.
    Did either of you read the article? It explains the ways in which both New Labour and the Tories plan to limit your freedoms.

That is a bit of a ridiculous and emotive question.
    Not really, it's the only way I could see someone being totally okay with it. If it's my body, what I do with it is the business of no-one but myself unless I am making it so. As we're talking about blanket ban, not a ban for those who have previous convictions for drunken anti-social behaviour, innocents will be caught in the net, and you'd have to assert something substantially similar to property rights in them to justify the oppression.

ReputationRep:
    they shouldn't ban it they should tackle the source of why people drink so much not take it away from them, if people want to drink so much why shouldn't they be allowed as long as they not seriously hurting any one,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Thats quite an illogical way of thinking of it. There was a time when loads of things weren't illegal that are now so if you accept the Governments right to make things illegal - this is the logical way of going around it.

I don't particulary support the policies, but I'm sure there is a lot of support because of the huge amounts of anti-social behaviour and violence caused by alcohol consumption and the big drain on the NHS (even though you could argue the tax on alcohol funds that).
    Alcohol does not cause anti-social behaviour and violence. Anti-social and violent people cause anti-social behaviour and violence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)

would you say the same for restriction of smoking and cigarette sales?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.