Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

All-you-can-drink pub offers facing ban watch

ReputationRep:
    I dont care about this at all and you shouldnt either!

WHY you ask?

Well the law is already more strict on this in scotland and it certainly doesnt effect my night out or anyone elses! In scotland people still drink a lot more than people in England and Wales! 25% actually(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8463333.stm) So Its not going to stop you drinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpion95)
    they shouldn't ban it they should tackle the source of why people drink so much not take it away from them, if people want to drink so much why shouldn't they be allowed as long as they not seriously hurting any one,
    But statistically if you drink more, you're more likely to be anti-social and violent. You yourself may not, but on the whole, the average person becomes more aggresive/is more likely to become aggressive after drinking a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    They could address the price of alcohol in supermarkets though. I can't find the source now but I read that the majority of people with alcohol problems drink at home.
    They could but it wont stop people drinking. If they put the prices up to much then it would put companies out of business so the increase will be a small one. Most people with serious problems drink at home but Binge drinking happens in bars after drinkers have had a few in the house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pads)
    I dont care about this at all and you shouldnt either!

WHY you ask?

Well the law is already more strict on this in scotland and it certainly doesnt effect my night out or anyone elses! In scotland people still drink a lot more than people in England and Wales! 25% actually(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8463333.stm) So Its not going to stop you drinking.
    I live in scotland and its still easy to get smashed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    They could but it wont stop people drinking. If they put the prices up to much then it would put companies out of business so the increase will be a small one. Most people with serious problems drink at home but Binge drinking happens in bars after drinkers have had a few in the house.
    You're missing my point completely. What I'm saying is that if the govt want to address drinking problems and the issues which arise from excessive drinking, they should tackle drinking in the home not drinking in clubs and pubs.

Binge drinking happens more at home - men and women drinking 1-2 bottles of wine/evening after a hard day at work because they get into a routine they can't get out of... etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pads)
    So true, it just changes the drinking culture, i live in a scottish student town and since the new licencing laws have been brought in, thinks have changed but i don't actually think alcohol consumption has decreased.

you just get less people going out in the week because, quids in wednesday, boozeday tuesday and one pound thursday don't exsist anymore. people pre drink for longer, go out for maybe one drink at a pub and then move on to the union or somewhere like that.

not sure if its reduced anti social behaviour though because though there are less people going out, they tend to be drunk when they set off.

ReputationRep:
    You're missing my point completely. What I'm saying is that if the govt want to address drinking problems and the issues which arise from excessive drinking, they should tackle drinking in the home not drinking in clubs and pubs.

Binge drinking happens more at home - men and women drinking 1-2 bottles of wine/evening after a hard day at work because they get into a routine they can't get out of... etc.
    I see what you mean now, I had the image if young folk on a saturday gettting drunk. But you mean people who drink alot at home like in the evenings and they have a problem that they can't see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:Emmy:.)
    So true, it just changes the drinking culture, i live in a scottish student town and since the new licencing laws have been brought in, thinks have changed but i don't actually think alcohol consumption has decreased.

you just get less people going out in the week because, quids in wednesday, boozeday tuesday and one pound thursday don't exsist anymore. people pre drink for longer, go out for maybe one drink at a pub and then move on to the union or somewhere like that.

not sure if its reduced anti social behaviour though because though there are less people going out, they tend to be drunk when they set off.
    Where you at uni?

In Edinburgh those nights still happen cos there are ways to get round the laws. Like If you are closed on monday and tuesday you could have £1 wednesdays and say that you lowered the price on monday even though you werent open. I havnt really noticed any difference at all apart from bouncers are sometimes stricter and apparently way stricter than in England!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:Emmy:.)

What has changed in Scotland tho. As far I can see nothing has changed and I still drink how I have always drank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pads)
    Where you at uni?

In Edinburgh those nights still happen cos there are ways to get round the laws. Like If you are closed on monday and tuesday you could have £1 wednesdays and say that you lowered the price on monday even though you werent open. I havnt really noticed any difference at all apart from bouncers are sometimes stricter and apparently way stricter than in England!
    st andrews, it used to not exisit, but now they are coming back, so its better but it took a while for them to get arround it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    What has changed in Scotland tho. As far I can see nothing has changed and I still drink how I have always drank.
    2 for 1 offers now have to be 50% off offers

If you lower the price fo a drink you cant raise it until 72 hours have passed

and alcohol cannot be a prize for competitions and stuff

thats the new stuff then it reiterated its illegal to serve drunk people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pads)
    2 for 1 offers now have to be 50% off offers

If you lower the price fo a drink you cant raise it until 72 hours have passed

and alcohol cannot be a prize for competitions and stuff

thats the new stuff then it reiterated its illegal to serve drunk people!
    Really all that has changed!
    Is it illegal to serve nearly drunk people in a club,

ReputationRep:
    I only know of one club with an 'all you can drink' night, and there isn't even a speed drinking contest there! Either this law makes absolutely no difference, or I must be living under a rock.

I can see why they'd want to ban them, and it's not a case of the nanny state. It's making sure people don't feel obliged to drink loads just because they paid some fee on the door, what's wrong with that? If people want to kill their liver paying for each individual drink then they're free to do that.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame that a minority of idiots spoils everything for the majority.

The discounted prices of alcohol in supermarkets also needs to be addressed along with the bars and pubs if this 'ban' is going to be successful.

I think if these 'all you can drink' offers are banned it might be the end of many pubs because the smoking ban has already affected them badly.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me.

Yes, alcohol is legal but anyone serving it has a duty of care to the people they are serving, as it is a dangerous substance. This is no different to shops stopping people from buying too many packs of paracetamol at once.

If someone wants to get well and truly trashed, they still can. This just curbs a few of the most extreme and dangerous excesses, and only in drinking establishments. People can still buy a truck load of beer and get sloshed at home.

Drinking may not be illegal, but who said it had to be cheap?

ReputationRep:
    They could address the price of alcohol in supermarkets though. I can't find the source now but I read that the majority of people with alcohol problems drink at home.
    The problem with raising alcohol duty to push the price of booze in the supermarkets up is that it is effectively a tax on the poor. Alcohol duty, along with cigarette duty are arguably the most recessive and least fair forms of taxation. By increasing alcohol duty you are increasing inequality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    Doesn't bother me.

Yes, alcohol is legal but anyone serving it has a duty of care to the people they are serving, as it is a dangerous substance. This is no different to shops stopping people from buying too many packs of paracetamol at once.

If someone wants to get well and truly trashed, they still can. This just curbs a few of the most extreme and dangerous excesses, and only in drinking establishments. People can still buy a truck load of beer and get sloshed at home.

Drinking may not be illegal, but who said it had to be cheap?
    I say it should be cheap. We're not living in a communist country, and the government should stop interfering with the free market. It's an ineffective way of curbing alcohol related problems anyway, the elasticity of demand for alcohol is very inelastic - putting the price up doesn't make people buy much less of it, it just makes them poorer. It's also an incredibly unfair form of taxation (see my post above).

ReputationRep:
    Things like this make me want to just get really smashed and then barf all over Gordon Brown...**** off out of my life you grumpy fart!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrChem)
    But statistically if you drink more, you're more likely to be anti-social and violent. You yourself may not, but on the whole, the average person becomes more aggresive/is more likely to become aggressive after drinking a lot.

No they're not. The average person doesn't get aggressive after drinking at all. A small minority of people get more aggressive after drinking. A small minority != the average person. No-one I know gets more aggressive after drinking. If they did I would suggest to them that they had a problem.

Statistically, there is no correlation between drinking and anti-social behaviour for the vast majority of people in this country, other than the circumstantial:

most anti-social behaviour happens in towns at night
    most people in town at night are having a drink

that's correlation, NOT causation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8465939.stm

I would really question why the government thinks it has the right to tell people how much they are allowed to drink.
    Because government gets to foot the bill for ER rooms chocked full of drunks getting their stomach pumped out and having ashtrays removed from their heads every Friday and Saturday night?

Because government has a duty to tackle street crime and violent disorder which is associated with binge drinking?

Because government has a duty to discourage alcoholism, domestic violence, and child neglect assocaited with over drinking?

Becuase government has an interest in the long term health of the countries citizens for economic and social reasons?

Let's face it. Overdrinking is a social ill and Britain has a big problem with it. If the Brits can't drink a bit more responsibly of their own free will then government will need to step in and force them to.

I'm not some killjoy either. In fact I love getting pissed up. But enough already.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.