Turn on thread page Beta

All-you-can-drink pub offers facing ban watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    I'd also say rather then drunkenness being an excuse for behaviour, if alcohol is a mitigating factor the sentence should actually be harsher, as not only did they commit a crime, but they didn't control themselves when drinking something which everyone knows can lead to violent/unruly behaviour if you go overboard/can't handle your drink.
    That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

ReputationRep:
    The smoking ban made it more of a pleasent environment and maybe this will too. it may stop people drinking to the point of being paralitic therefore ruining the night for other people. i do not find i pleasent to watch someone puck up a doner kebab infront of me, and i bet the nurses who have to deal with idiots every week dont like the current binge culture.

Basicly people get peed off becuase they think the goverments trying to 'control' you when there not, there looking at ways to improve this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    No they're not. The average person doesn't get aggressive after drinking at all. A small minority of people get more aggressive after drinking. A small minority != the average person. No-one I know gets more aggressive after drinking. If they did I would suggest to them that they had a problem.

Statistically, there is no correlation between drinking and anti-social behaviour for the vast majority of people in this country, other than the circumstantial:

most anti-social behaviour happens in towns at night
    most people in town at night are having a drink

that's correlation, NOT causation.
    Ok, 'the average person is more likely to become aggressive after drinking'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetroll)
    That word doesn't mean what you think it means.
    probably not tbh in my year out so far my vocab has fallen apart. What do I mean?

...aggravating factor...hmm doesn't seem right

the word is so on the tip of my tongue...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Because government gets to foot the bill for ER rooms chocked full of drunks getting their stomach pumped out and having ashtrays removed from their heads every Friday and Saturday night?
    and who foots the governments bill? the tax payer, swings and roundabouts

also i have to reiterate "taxing the ****" out of alcohol isnt going to solve anything

ReputationRep:
    They should really just tax alcohol to hell. 1000% duty on all alcoholic beverages everywhere. No importing. If binge-drinking really is so ingrained in our society that people will pay whatever the cost, then the government might as well make some money out of it to spend on other stuff - like reducing our debt or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    Alcohol is not illegal
    why are illegal drugs illegal?

Why is there so much support for anti-drinker policies such as these?
    because binge drinkers cause problems. it's not a matter of you not being able to do what you like, it's the problems it causes for everyone else. they're only trying to do something about that.

so grow the **** up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    They should really just tax alcohol to hell. 1000% duty on all alcoholic beverages everywhere. No importing. If binge-drinking really is so ingrained in our society that people will pay whatever the cost, then the government might as well make some money out of it to spend on other stuff - like reducing our debt or something.
    why dont we just ban it if thats your solution?
    make it go underground give more money to smugglers and gangs, GREAT idea.

the kids on the continent can buy alcohol from like 13 cant they? and the price is about 5 times cheaper than here so is price the issue? no its the people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    why dont we just ban it if thats your solution?
    make it go underground give more money to smugglers and gangs, GREAT idea.
    Why do you mean - why don't we just ban it? The whole point of my idea is that the government and society might as well profit enormously from heavy drinkers from tax on the sales of alcohol. My idea has nothing to do with discouraging alcohol consumption, nothing at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrChem)
    Ok, 'the average person is more likely to become aggressive after drinking'

isn't that what you just said?

I would argue:

'the average person is not more likely to become aggressive after drinking'

however

'some distinctly non-average people are more likely to become aggressive after drinking'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    Why do you mean - why don't we just ban it? The whole point of my idea is that the government and society might as well profit enormously from heavy drinkers from tax on the sales of alcohol. My idea has nothing to do with discouraging alcohol consumption, nothing at all.
    oh my mistake, just presumed u were saying "lets stop binge drinker by taxing the **** out of them" when really you were saying "lets make some money by taxing the **** out of them"
    anyone who believes the former is stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    oh my mistake, just presumed u were saying "lets stop binge drinker by taxing the **** out of them" when really you were saying "lets make some money by taxing the **** out of them"
    anyone who believes the former is stupid
    Yeah. Binge drinking is something of the culture here, and I don't know how you'd tackle that, increasing tax on it certainly won't help one bit - people will just spend more of their income on it. As someone else mentioned, booze is much cheaper abroad but they don't binge on it all the time.

ReputationRep:
    The problem here is that everyone is acting on the faulty premise that binge drinking is intrinsically bad. It's not.
    Anti-social behaviour is bad. People who continue to binge into their 40s when they should be looking after their kids is bad.

Road deaths are bad, but no-one says ban cars, even though with no cars there would be no road deaths, because we understand that the good outweighs the bad. The same thought should apply to getting drunk: the good outweighs the bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    and who foots the governments bill? the tax payer, swings and roundabouts

also i have to reiterate "taxing the ****" out of alcohol isnt going to solve anything
    Well, obviously the taxpayer foots the government bills. But why should the taxpayer have to pay these costs? Do they not have better things to spend their money on?

Face it. Binge drinking represents a major cost the country economically and socially. Government has an obligation to do something about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well, obviously the taxpayer foots the government bills. But why should the taxpayer have to pay these costs? Do they not have better things to spend their money on?

Face it. Binge drinking represents a major cost the country economically and socially. Government has an obligation to do something about that.
    yeah and im sure binge drinkers pay more than there fair share of that tax.
    im all for stopping binge drinking but tax isnt going to do one bit of difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    im all for stopping binge drinking but tax isnt going to do one bit of difference.
    I'm not arguing for tax increases so I don't know why you keep pressing this on me. There are dozens of ways to clamp down on this without taxing the crap out of booze and taking the pleasure away from millions of responsible drinkers.

But as far as clamping down on binge drinking is concerned surely, a ban on "all you can drink" pubs has got to be a good place to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    Doubt it. But it's not just about tax is it? What about the social ills that I have mentioned? What about other people's quality of life? WTF should I have to hop between pools of vomit all over the pavement on a Saturday morning? WTF should I have to look over my shoulder walking through a town center after about 9:00pm on a Saturday night?

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why there's such a fuss about a ban on all-you-can-drink offers. It's not even like they're that common.

ReputationRep:
    More government control and interference in peoples lives woooo :woo:

ReputationRep:
    another nail in the coffin for freedom . a

'one fit all' policy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.