Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know this is my maths course that Im studying (mechanics) but I feel this question is more apt for the physics section:

I have this question, but cannot rearrange any of the SUVAT equations to get the answer:

A set of traffic lights covers road repairs on a road. The traffic lights are 80m apart. Assume a car accelerates at 2ms^2 from rest until reaching a speed of 10ms^1 and then travels at a constant speed. What is the least time taken for a car starting from rest at the first set of lights to reach the next set?

S= 80m
    U= 0ms^1
    V= 10ms^1
    A= 2ms^2
    T= ?

The answer is 10.5 seconds, the closest I have got is 8.9 seconds by rearranging s= ut + 1/2at^2 into the form of the quadratic formula.

Please help

thanks

You need to do this in three steps, splitting the motion into two parts
    1. Use a formula to find how far the car went (s) from rest in the 1st part. (accelerating from 0 to 10 m/s)
    You know a, u, and v.
    2. Find t, the time taken using a different equation.
    3. In the second part, find how long the car took to travel the rest of the 80m (80-s) at constant speed of 10m/s.
    Add the two times together.

ReputationRep:
    Split into 2 parts, the first while the car accelerates.
    V=U+at, V=10, U=0, A=2. T=(V-U)/A= 5 seconds
    s=ut+0.5at^2=0+0.5x2x5^2=25m
    The car has now reached a steady velocity of 10ms^-1, and has travelled 25m. so to travel the last 55...
    t=distance/speed=55/10=5.5seconds
    SO
    5 seconds accelerating+ 5.5 at constant velocity=10.5

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.