Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know this is my maths course that Im studying (mechanics) but I feel this question is more apt for the physics section:

I have this question, but cannot rearrange any of the SUVAT equations to get the answer:

A set of traffic lights covers road repairs on a road. The traffic lights are 80m apart. Assume a car accelerates at 2ms^2 from rest until reaching a speed of 10ms^1 and then travels at a constant speed. What is the least time taken for a car starting from rest at the first set of lights to reach the next set?

S= 80m
    U= 0ms^1
    V= 10ms^1
    A= 2ms^2
    T= ?

The answer is 10.5 seconds, the closest I have got is 8.9 seconds by rearranging s= ut + 1/2at^2 into the form of the quadratic formula.

Please help

thanks

You need to do this in three steps, splitting the motion into two parts
    1. Use a formula to find how far the car went (s) from rest in the 1st part. (accelerating from 0 to 10 m/s)
    You know a, u, and v.
    2. Find t, the time taken using a different equation.
    3. In the second part, find how long the car took to travel the rest of the 80m (80-s) at constant speed of 10m/s.
    Add the two times together.

ReputationRep:
    Split into 2 parts, the first while the car accelerates.
    V=U+at, V=10, U=0, A=2. T=(V-U)/A= 5 seconds
    s=ut+0.5at^2=0+0.5x2x5^2=25m
    The car has now reached a steady velocity of 10ms^-1, and has travelled 25m. so to travel the last 55...
    t=distance/speed=55/10=5.5seconds
    SO
    5 seconds accelerating+ 5.5 at constant velocity=10.5

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 19, 2010

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.