Turn on thread page Beta

Disabled Students Allowence watch

ReputationRep:
    I have just been given a talk on student fincances and applying for loans whilst at university, and Disabled Students Allowence came up.

I suffer from anxiety, bouts of depression and I have an eating disorder.

Suffering from a mental health condition makes a person eligible. Can anyone tell me if this would include me?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabled...on/dg_10034898

Have a look at that. DSA isn't a direct cash benefit, instead they pay for equipment and assistance that you may need to help you. You'll have an assessment for it.

ReputationRep:
    I have looked at that website and I need to get the DSA and I found it so confusing.
    I really need help knowing how I get it, so if anyone can help me too.
    I'm dyslexic by the way.

Sorry I know I am being no help answering your question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat1992)
    I have just been given a talk on student fincances and applying for loans whilst at university, and Disabled Students Allowence came up.

I suffer from anxiety, bouts of depression and I have an eating disorder.

Suffering from a mental health condition makes a person eligible. Can anyone tell me if this would include me?
    I'm not sure there's much disabled student's allowance would be able to do for you. It's mostly about getting equipment to make learning more accessible. Having anxiety or and eating disorder doesn't really affect your learning in a way that equipment could really assists with. It will also pay for a non medical helper, but I'm not sure how that would benefit you either. Ask about it by all means but I'm not sure it would really help

ReputationRep:
    a student where my mum works recieved DSA after a psychotic episode, and has recieved help with equipment, books etc.

I think the idea of DSA for a mental health condition is to reduce stress and anxiety, which in turns helps the reciever maintain a better standard of mental wellbeing.

ReputationRep:
    i just found this site. seems quite useful:

http://www.studentsupport.ulster.ac....ility/faq.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle_McD)
    I have looked at that website and I need to get the DSA and I found it so confusing.
    I really need help knowing how I get it, so if anyone can help me too.
    I'm dyslexic by the way.

Sorry I know I am being no help answering your question.
    From the link download 'Bridging Ther Gap' a booklet that is very clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    From the link download 'Bridging Ther Gap' a booklet that is very clear.

Thanks I'll take a look at that.

ReputationRep:
    Most colleges and universities have disability advisers so it may be an idea to contact your local college and talk to someone face to face re: DSA

And yes, mental health (including anxiety and depression) would certainly make you eligible for DSA. When you apply for it you need to get a letter from your GP explaining how your condition affects you day to day.

After applying for DSA when you apply for your student finance you will end up having a meeting (a 'needs assessment') where equipment and support relevent to your course and your need are discussed and recommended

All being well, SFE will agree with the report and pay for the support and equipment for you while you are at university.

ReputationRep:
    Worth applying for, I got a laptop, dictaphone and printer. Also submission extensions if needed. travel expenses as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnboy024)
    Worth applying for, I got a laptop, dictaphone and printer. Also submission extensions if needed. travel expenses as well.
    travel expenses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    travel expenses?
    Agoraphobics or people with anxiety can claim travel costs if they cannot use public transport

It is usually petrol money at 20p (I think) a mile minus the cost the journey would take by bus or train

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASCIIcipher)
    Agoraphobics or people with anxiety can claim travel costs if they cannot use public transport

It is usually petrol money at 20p (I think) a mile minus the cost the journey would take by bus or train
    ah rite. fair do's.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.