Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

On a night out the other day, on of my closest friends told me that she has been aking herself sick most days for the past couple of months. She'd lost loads of weight recently, never having been fat at all...size 10-12 with big boobs. Although I had been kind of worried, I never thought it was anything this serious.
    She told me that when we went away for the weekend, with a couple of other friends, she made herself sick in the restaurant toilets because she had chips.
    I don't know if she remembers telling me all this, but at the time she was upset and made me swear not to tell anyone. She said she thinks it's getting out of control.
    I told my other close friends, who's known people go through fairly serious anorexia so understands the problem. We don't know whether or not to mention it to her and try to make her realise that if she carries on it could really mess up the rest of her life. She wants to go to uni next year, but I'm worried if she doesn;t kick the habit now she woun't be able to.
    Any suggestions on whether or not we should talk to her, if I should say I told our other friend. I have no idea what to do, and am quite worried.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be a good idea to mention it to her. She needs to try and stop it now because the longer it goes on the more out of control she'll get and the harder it'll be to stop. I'd talk to her but I wouldn't mention that you've told your other friend because she's probably quite embarrassed and it might stop her from trusting you. All you can really do is tell her you're there for her and encourage her to seek help, I mean you can't force her to do anything. But you could offer to go to the doctor with her or something, or ask her if there's anything you can do to help...that'd be nice. I wouldn't just leave it though because if it's just left then the likelihood is that it'll just keep getting worse and worse. Good luck.

(Original post by PointeShoes-x)
    I think it would be a good idea to mention it to her. She needs to try and stop it now because the longer it goes on the more out of control she'll get and the harder it'll be to stop. I'd talk to her but I wouldn't mention that you've told your other friend because she's probably quite embarrassed and it might stop her from trusting you. All you can really do is tell her you're there for her and encourage her to seek help, I mean you can't force her to do anything. But you could offer to go to the doctor with her or something, or ask her if there's anything you can do to help...that'd be nice. I wouldn't just leave it though because if it's just left then the likelihood is that it'll just keep getting worse and worse. Good luck.
    Thanks . I feel bad for having mentioned it to anyone, but the friend I told is also one of this girls closest friends and has seen a couple of people she's really close to go through similar problems.
    I know I need to talk to her, it's just hard! It's a very sensitive subject to bring up, and knowing her as well as I do, she'll be reluctant to accept help from anyone, let alone admit that she has a problem....she'll say it's a phase or a way of dealing with stress, won't admit it's something she shouldn't be doing.
    Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    If it's difficult to bring up in person you could try bringing it up on MSN or something. It's what I've done in the past haha. It can seem a bit less personal but on the other hand she might be more likely to open up and be truthful. Or write her a note? Do try to bring it up somehow though, even though it's hard it'll be worth it. If she won't admit it's a problem there's not a lot you can do I guess but at least you'll have tried.

If she remembers telling you about it then she might actually be waiting to see if you say anything else and if you appear to forget about it then she might take that to mean you don't believe her or don't think it's serious. Not saying that's definitely true, it's just a possibility. So if nothing else then she'll know you care and it might give her confidence to seek help if she knows other people see it as a real problem.

Also, maybe she'll be more willing to talk next time she's had a drink haha.

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll go for bringing it up sober, then see if she opens up more after a few drinks another time haha.
    And yeah people are always more open on msn.
    The friend I told said to talk to her, but don't force loads of questions on her. Let her tell me as much or little about it all as she feels ready too. I worry that she'd take this as I don't want to know more though, if I don't ask loads of questions I mean. But I at the same time I don't want to make her feel pressured.

ReputationRep:
    if you stop being her friend, you won't have to worry any more.
    problem solved!

(Original post by HumorousGent.)
    if you stop being her friend, you won't have to worry any more.
    problem solved!
    Haha, really useful advice there, thanks. :P

(Original post by Anonymous)
    On a night out the other day, on of my closest friends told me that she has been aking herself sick most days for the past couple of months. She'd lost loads of weight recently, never having been fat at all...size 10-12 with big boobs. Although I had been kind of worried, I never thought it was anything this serious.
    She told me that when we went away for the weekend, with a couple of other friends, she made herself sick in the restaurant toilets because she had chips.
    I don't know if she remembers telling me all this, but at the time she was upset and made me swear not to tell anyone. She said she thinks it's getting out of control.
    I told my other close friends, who's known people go through fairly serious anorexia so understands the problem. We don't know whether or not to mention it to her and try to make her realise that if she carries on it could really mess up the rest of her life. She wants to go to uni next year, but I'm worried if she doesn;t kick the habit now she woun't be able to.
    Any suggestions on whether or not we should talk to her, if I should say I told our other friend. I have no idea what to do, and am quite worried.

I would say mention it to her and make her face what she's doing to herself I myself used to suffer ffrom bulimia on and off for 2 years and it was only when my friends heard me and made me think about what i was doing to myself and sort my life out !!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I would say mention it to her and make her face what she's doing to herself I myself used to suffer ffrom bulimia on and off for 2 years and it was only when my friends heard me and made me think about what i was doing to myself and sort my life out !!
    Thanks. I'm glad you managed to sort things out for yourself .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.