Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've been going out with this boy for around 3 months and we met on Facebook as he went to school with my best friend. We got talking and he's one of those guys which asks for sex the first time you talk to him but then I started to like him as we got to know each and he did too but he was quite cynical then. He then had to move to Cornwall for a course and now lives there. We started going out while he was in Cornwall and we really miss each other.

Problem : He said before we went out that love wasnt real but he now says that ive changed his mind about that and he loves me. I love him too but he's talking about moving in together etc now...after 3 months...He's also going to stay in Cornwall for the next year or so and he asked me if I would wait for him as he is willing to wait for me over the 3 years I go to uni. Is this way too fast? Cos I've never found anyone like this before and he just seems amazing. But am I just swept away in the moment? HELP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madhvi5)
    Right, I've been going out with this boy for around 3 months and we met on Facebook as he went to school with my best friend. We got talking and he's one of those guys which asks for sex the first time you talk to him but then I started to like him as we got to know each and he did too but he was quite cynical then. He then had to move to Cornwall for a course and now lives there. We started going out while he was in Cornwall and we really miss each other.

Problem : He said before we went out that love wasnt real but he now says that ive changed his mind about that and he loves me. I love him too but he's talking about moving in together etc now...after 3 months...He's also going to stay in Cornwall for the next year or so and he asked me if I would wait for him as he is willing to wait for me over the 3 years I go to uni. Is this way too fast? Cos I've never found anyone like this before and he just seems amazing. But am I just swept away in the moment? HELP!
    Hahah, that line amused me. I wouldn't have pursued it any further, so kudos to you OP for being open-minded...

I think you may be being swept away a little. I'd just tell him that you'd like to see how it goes, that you love him (if you do), and that you can think about moving in together when it's more plausible or possible. Are you two in a long-distance relationship now, then? I'm a little unsure as you've put "wait for him", as if you're not still together, but more on hiatus, ha. Also, have you met him properly, or is it fully online?

There's no reason that he shouldn't be 'the one', OP, but don't put too much on this relationship as it's still in its early stages, and from the sounds of it you still have to get to know each other in quite a few aspects. Just take things slowly - if he's going to be away for a year anyway, continue to date in a long-distance sort of relationship and just see how it goes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    Hahah, that line amused me. I wouldn't have pursued it any further, so kudos to you OP for being open-minded...

I think you may be being swept away a little. I'd just tell him that you'd like to see how it goes, that you love him (if you do), and that you can think about moving in together when it's more plausible or possible. Are you two in a long-distance relationship now, then? I'm a little unsure as you've put "wait for him", as if you're not still together, but more on hiatus, ha. Also, have you met him properly, or is it fully online?

There's no reason that he shouldn't be 'the one', OP, but don't put too much on this relationship as it's still in its early stages, and from the sounds of it you still have to get to know each other in quite a few aspects. Just take things slowly - if he's going to be away for a year anyway, continue to date in a long-distance sort of relationship and just see how it goes
    Yeah, I'm silly for doing that but he seemed nice at first, yeah I do love him but cos he lives far away we dont see each other that much....we are kinda waiting for each other if you get my drift. We are together and I see him when he comes down in the holidays as he lived here before but has to go to Cornwall for college. Yeah, we've met lots of times and we talk on the phone, its a good relationship as we've met each other's parents and so on but I just don't know whether or not its too fast. But long distance will have to do.

ReputationRep:

Leave him. Trust me you don't want the hassle of the long distance relationship. I should know.
    that is a long time to just miss each other, and when you finally get together you might realise he is a **** or something.

People can be very different online than in reality

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm silly for doing that but he seemed nice at first, yeah I do love him but cos he lives far away we dont see each other that much....we are kinda waiting for each other if you get my drift. We are together and I see him when he comes down in the holidays as he lived here before but has to go to Cornwall for college. Yeah, we've met lots of times and we talk on the phone, its a good relationship as we've met each other's parents and so on but I just don't know whether or not its too fast. But long distance will have to do.
    Everyone's relationships move at a different pace

Anyway there's no immediate hurry, as you won't be considering moving in together or anything similar for a while, so just enjoy it and see how it goes - just because other people may say you're rushing, it doesn't mean that you are. If you love him and you know that you've got something serious, it doesn't matter about the timescale.

Edit: As Hypergiant has said, it can be a hassle in a long-distance relationship and you should only attempt it if you're SURE you want to be with him - but I should also know, as I've been in an LDR for the last 2 years, and it's working out. Everyone's different

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's relationships move at a different pace

Anyway there's no immediate hurry, as you won't be considering moving in together or anything similar for a while, so just enjoy it and see how it goes - just because other people may say you're rushing, it doesn't mean that you are. If you love him and you know that you've got something serious, it doesn't matter about the timescale.

Edit: As Hypergiant has said, it can be a hassle in a long-distance relationship and you should only attempt it if you're SURE you want to be with him - but I should also know, as I've been in an LDR for the last 2 years, and it's working out. Everyone's different
    Thanks guyssss . Well I think I'll seee how it goes and then when we see more of each other, we'll know I guess. To be honest, even if did want to leave him, I'd be too scared too cos I'd feet guilty for upsetting him as im his first girlfriend and I reallly want it to work for his sake. But yes, you're right in saying people are different online, but I have met him and he is lovely... But ill see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    You're only 17, way too early to be thinking about moving to live with him, in my opinion. You may disagree, but don't you want to live your own life for a while first, so you have more to share with someone later? I'm not saying split up with him, but I think moving to live with him may be too far. If you're both happy with the way things are, keep it that way. Don't worry about the future, and the next 3 years. Take each day as it comes. I thought me and my current boyfriend would split up within weeks, we were really casual at first. We've been together 2 years this spring. Seriously, just focus on the moment

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guyssss . Well I think I'll seee how it goes and then when we see more of each other, we'll know I guess. To be honest, even if did want to leave him, I'd be too scared too cos I'd feet guilty for upsetting him as im his first girlfriend and I reallly want it to work for his sake. But yes, you're right in saying people are different online, but I have met him and he is lovely... But ill see how it goes.
    Oh, OP, definitely not. Don't think like that. It's selfish to stay with him if you don't want to be.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, OP, definitely not. Don't think like that. It's selfish to stay with him if you don't want to be.
    I want to be. But I just don't want to ruin things by not living up to his expectations. I like him a lot and thats why I'm so scared of losing him but I just dont know if being together is for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellynubbin)
    You're only 17, way too early to be thinking about moving to live with him, in my opinion. You may disagree, but don't you want to live your own life for a while first, so you have more to share with someone later? I'm not saying split up with him, but I think moving to live with him may be too far. If you're both happy with the way things are, keep it that way. Don't worry about the future, and the next 3 years. Take each day as it comes. I thought me and my current boyfriend would split up within weeks, we were really casual at first. We've been together 2 years this spring. Seriously, just focus on the moment
    Yeah, I know I thought that too...I think its going way too fast but I just want to have fun at the moment and I like where its going but I think I need to calm down a bit. And awwwh, thats sweet

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.