Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't you not been to uni yet?
    Some of my favs most applicable to TSR
    i have been to uni before. i just dont talk about it much on trs. i was there for 3 years but didnt actally finish my degree (due to illness)so i never count it as part of my education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    this is 101 reasons why i want to do medicine.
    Lol what?

I highly doubt your reason for wanting to do medicine is so that you can be treated like crap. Otherwise I'm sure there's a sado-machism collective near you that won't require 6 years of learning first.

Seriously people, you don't get points for pretending you love all of the crap bits of medicine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Lol what?

I highly doubt your reason for wanting to do medicine is so that you can be treated like crap. Otherwise I'm sure there's a sado-machism collective near you that won't require 6 years of learning first.

Seriously people, you don't get points for pretending you love all of the crap bits of medicine!
    oh seriously!!!
    but i thought that would get me an offer.:p:

ReputationRep:
    12. Residents will probably ask you to retrieve some type of nourishment for them.

THIS HAPPENS?!

ReputationRep:
    Lol what?

What would you say are the 'good bits' of your course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eden01)
    12. Residents will probably ask you to retrieve some type of nourishment for them.

THIS HAPPENS?!
    Obviously.
    I would not think that would be the most surprising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Obviously.
    I would not think that would be the most surprising.
    I didnt quite imagine it as "mate go get me a sandwich will you?" but more "go get us our lunch then get back to work"

but i suppose you're right....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    Can I join in with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eden01)
    I didnt quite imagine it as "mate go get me a sandwich will you?" but more "go get us our lunch then get back to work"

but i suppose you're right....
    lol. Students end up doing all sorts of things (one I know ended up spreading grit during the icy bit, needed to be done :p:)

ReputationRep:
    For the most part, it's interesting and stimulating. And there are some fantastic people.

But just because I want to do medicine doesn't mean I'm happy when I look at my timetable and see I have 3 hours of histology to slog through before lunch. I just accept it as a necessary thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    Can I join in with this?
    Sure, I could use as much boosting as possible after that rather depressing article. I don't doubt its truth in many respects, but still, it hardly puts you in the mood for medicine.

For the most part, it's interesting and stimulating. And there are some fantastic people.

But just because I want to do medicine doesn't mean I'm happy when I look at my timetable and see I have 3 hours of histology to slog through before lunch. I just accept it as a necessary thing to do.
    Cheers, yeah I appreciate that. I think I read something that illustrates a point along the lines of 'When a patient presents with an ulcer a first year can give you 1000 diagnoses, a third year 500 and a doctor 2 or 3'

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I could use as much boosting as possible after that rather depressing article. I don't doubt its truth in many respects, but still, it hardly puts you in the mood for medicine.
    It made me laugh at the lol so true ones (more I have no doubt will be added)

For me, when something for a change, goes right, it makes sense first time or I can do it. The point when you go from, 'have nu ******* idea what is going on' to it makeing sense.
    Good lectures, but I can name them on one hand
    Then there is the odd time someone says something nice/is greatful.
    Days off probably near the top of the list atm (like tomorrow woot! I get to spend it writing up an assignment though (lame) and trying to work out the neuro I have done (more lame)

I think the main thing to take from it is: be prepared for a lot of ****. People not doing medicine will also not get it

When I do medicine I'm going to save the world and everything will be okay...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vexper)
    "One time an HIV+ patient ripped out his IV and then “slung” his blood at the staff in the room. Go, go infectious disease. " :lolwut:
    :rofl:

These are great.

ReputationRep:
    Don’t rent an apartment. If you can afford to, buy a small home instead. I saved $200 per month and had roughly $30,000 in equity by choosing to buy versus rent.

Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Don’t rent an apartment. If you can afford to, buy a small home instead. I saved $200 per month and had roughly $30,000 in equity by choosing to buy versus rent.

Is this true?
    The chance of you being able to here is slim. Most med students just about cover living costs, and little else.

But yes buying is genrally going to be better than renting if you can afford it seeing as rent is just lost effectively whereas if you paid the same amount/month on a mortgage then you are slowly buying the house.

ReputationRep:
    The chance of you being able to here is slim. Most med students just about cover living costs, and little else.

But yes buying is genrally going to be better than renting if you can afford it seeing as rent is just lost effectively whereas if you paid the same amount/month on a mortgage then you are slowly buying the house.
    you have to be one rich ******* to be able to afford a deposit on a house upon entry to uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admflx)
    you have to be one rich ******* to be able to afford a deposit on a house upon entry to uni
    That is effectively what I was saying. Without the need for the *******.

ReputationRep:
    That is effectively what I was saying. Without the need for the *******.
    i harbour the belief anyone who can afford such a privileged lifestyle should be subjected to extra back breaking and demoralising experiences at medical school just to teach them some life lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admflx)
    i harbour the belief anyone who can afford such a privileged lifestyle should be subjected to extra back breaking and demoralising experiences at medical school just to teach them some life lessons.
    Why?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.