Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Medical School Truths! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admflx)
    i harbour the belief anyone who can afford such a privileged lifestyle should be subjected to extra back breaking and demoralising experiences at medical school just to teach them some life lessons.
    haha just because someone happens to have parents with alot of money, it dosnt mean they havnt been through negative things in life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    Sure, I could use as much boosting as possible after that rather depressing article. I don't doubt its truth in many respects, but still, it hardly puts you in the mood for medicine.
    Dude, don't take it too serioulsly! I read it and laughed from start to finish. I suspect its one of those things that if you re-read it when you've just finished med school you would be laughing too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    haha just because someone happens to have parents with alot of money, it dosnt mean they havnt been through negative things in life!
    previous experiences excluded- student life shouldn't be cushy, it just isn't right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakujo)
    Don’t rent an apartment. If you can afford to, buy a small home instead. I saved $200 per month and had roughly $30,000 in equity by choosing to buy versus rent.
    It does make sense. Lots of people's parents buy houses here and get their kid's mates to rent with them (I'm living in said house). Effectively pays the mortgage. They build up equity, the kids don't give some random rent and that recycles into more money to give the kids.

When a patient presents with an ulcer a first year can give you 1000 diagnoses, a third year 500 and a doctor 2 or 3'
    That...would be me! :five:

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I could use as much boosting as possible after that rather depressing article. I don't doubt its truth in many respects, but still, it hardly puts you in the mood for medicine.
    its was rather depressing wasnt it, but not as depressing as the junior doctors i met who were throughly regreting doing medicine and were just about ready to end it all...

just remeber its only a very subjective list of the negatives of medicine. i reckon medicine does have more negatives than others, and i have no doubt that many of the things said are true, however if you enjoy the positive aspects of the course enough they should be enough to outweigh the negitives. i think it medicine, the highs are higher but also the lows are lower. its easy to complain when there is a lot to go through, and it seems more fashionable to complain rather than to go on about how e.g. amazing it was to apply your scientific knowledge to really help someone!

ReputationRep:
    its was rather depressing wasnt it, but not as depressing as the junior doctors i met who were throughly regreting doing medicine and were just about ready to end it all...

just remeber its only a very subjective list of the negatives of medicine. i reckon medicine does have more negatives than others, and i have no doubt that many of the things said are true, however if you enjoy the positive aspects of the course enough they should be enough to outweigh the negitives. i think it medicine, the highs are higher but also the lows are lower. its easy to complain when there is a lot to go through, and it seems more fashionable to complain rather than to go on about how e.g. amazing it was to apply your scientific knowledge to really help someone!
    Thanks, yeah I imagine there must be some really amazing parts to it. But I'm not going to lie when I say I don't want to spend my life doing something that I really would hate. I mean, to get to the stage of a junior doctor, five years of relentless work keeping nose to the grindstone and then you just want to leave. I mean, I don't want to commit myself to something now that I really will regret later because doing medicine is a huge choice and will invariably affect you forever. What I don't know is if this is a list where people just chime in to how bad it is or if it genuinely is true. Like, when sixth formers talk to year 7s and say 'Oh, you wait until you get to sixth form, it's so much work' when in reality it isn't so bad. Maybe I haven't researched into the career well enough, I imagine any doubt in choosing medicine is a very clear sign of 'you probably shouldn't do it'.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, yeah I imagine there must be some really amazing parts to it. But I'm not going to lie when I say I don't want to spend my life doing something that I really would hate. I mean, to get to the stage of a junior doctor, five years of relentless work keeping nose to the grindstone and then you just want to leave. I mean, I don't want to commit myself to something now that I really will regret later because doing medicine is a huge choice and will invariably affect you forever. What I don't know is if this is a list where people just chime in to how bad it is or if it genuinely is true. Like, when sixth formers talk to year 7s and say 'Oh, you wait until you get to sixth form, it's so much work' when in reality it isn't so bad. Maybe I haven't researched into the career well enough, I imagine any doubt in choosing medicine is a very clear sign of 'you probably shouldn't do it'.
    no, doubt is normal, anyone not expiriencing any form of doubt at some point dosnt know what the career entails!
    i had a serious doubt after meeting coutless numbers of very negative junior doctors, but decided for me the poistives would outweigh the negitives. have you read 'trust me, im a junior doctor'? you should. but untilmatly those are only two years of your life, and you have to look to the career beyond it. the first few years of a new, demanding job are always going to be tough as you are on a learning curve, medicine is not the only one like this! and i have yet to meet a doctor beyond the junior doctor years who regrets doing it.

its a very personal choice. some deal with medicine better than others. for example i have also met a couple of junior doctors who were happy and enjoy their jobs! (yes.. really!) just as all the med students i know love thir course. true, they say its **** at times, but just in the same way that i love my school, but could come up with a whole list of what pisses me off! but at the end of the day, its the whole package that makes me enjoy it.

if you think you would hate it, then have the courage to not do it, as there are tons olf jobs that you would enjoy more. but if, like me, you cannot think of anything else that would give you more satisfaction and you are prepared to go through the hard work and challenges that comes with it, aproach it with confidence.

ReputationRep:
    no, doubt is normal, anyone not expiriencing any form of doubt at some point dosnt know what the career entails!
    i had a serious doubt after meeting coutless numbers of very negative junior doctors, but decided for me the poistives would outweigh the negitives. have you read 'trust me, im a junior doctor'? you should. but untilmatly those are only two years of your life, and you have to look to the career beyond it. the first few years of a new, demanding job are always going to be tough as you are on a learning curve, medicine is not the only one like this! and i have yet to meet a doctor beyond the junior doctor years who regrets doing it.

its a very personal choice. some deal with medicine better than others. for example i have also met a couple of junior doctors who were happy and enjoy their jobs! (yes.. really!) just as all the med students i know love thir course. true, they say its **** at times, but just in the same way that i love my school, but could come up with a whole list of what pisses me off! but at the end of the day, its the whole package that makes me enjoy it.

if you think you would hate it, then have the courage to not do it, as there are tons olf jobs that you would enjoy more. but if, like me, you cannot think of anything else that would give you more satisfaction and you are prepared to go through the hard work and challenges that comes with it, aproach it with confidence.
    Very true (: Thanks for the great, sound advice.

ReputationRep:
    Very true (: Thanks for the great, sound advice.
    your welcome hope it all works out for yoou

ReputationRep:

I instinctively felt vomit rising as I started to read this but actually:

It's pretty damn good! :eek3: Well done! Rep you for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    I instinctively felt vomit rising as I started to read this but actually:

It's pretty damn good! :eek3: Well done! Rep you for you!
    haha, a med student not slating an applicants point of view on tsr? what has become of the world!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    haha, a med student not slating an applicants point of view on tsr? what has become of the world!! :p:
    Easy noww...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Easy noww...
    only joking

ReputationRep:
    have you read 'trust me, im a junior doctor'? you should.
    I agree - fabulous book - also the sequel "Where does it hurt?"
    The fact is that it makes me want to medicine more rather than less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buchaneyes)
    I agree - fabulous book - also the sequel "Where does it hurt?"
    The fact is that it makes me want to medicine more rather than less.
    yeh, at the start i was like 'god this is depressing' and then once i had finished it i was like 'i want an offerr!' it taught me alot about medicine in general too.

ReputationRep:
    pffft what a moaner.

50% chance of finishing in the bottom? since when has that rule ever ever ever applied anywhere? work hard and you'll come out on top. you create your own luck - no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george54)
    50% chance of finishing in the bottom? since when has that rule ever ever ever applied anywhere?
    The inaugural World Championship coin flipping tournament?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    this is true, i retract my statement. however perhaps the best in the world have the skill to influence the final outcome?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george54)
    this is true, i retract my statement. however perhaps the best in the world have the skill to influence the final outcome?
    Well of course, in subsequent years I dare say that psychology will play a very important part on proceedings.

However, note that I said inaugural. Nobody would have any reputation at this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    pah, everyone knows that there is a 50.0000023 chance of it landing on tails because the weight on the heads side is slightly more... :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.