Medical School Truths! Watch

Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by blonde-beth)
pah, everyone knows that there is a 50.0000023 chance of it landing on tails because the weight on the heads side is slightly more... :p:
Of course, for such an important competition special coins would be crafted to nullify this bias (and provide a nice little commemorative souvenir for the hordes of spectators).
terpineol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crazylemon)
Why?
Don't ask questions of the lower class Lemon, its never worth it.
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by george54)
pffft what a moaner.

50% chance of finishing in the bottom? since when has that rule ever ever ever applied anywhere? work hard and you'll come out on top. you create your own luck - no?
A small flaw with that is everyone else is doing the same (what with it being med school where everyone had to fight just to get in) Meaning you have to run as fast as you can to stay put, and twice as fast as that to get ahead.

(Original post by terpineol)
Don't ask questions of the lower class Lemon, its never worth it.
Generally true :sigh:
digitalis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
pffft what a moaner.

50% chance of finishing in the bottom? since when has that rule ever ever ever applied anywhere? work hard and you'll come out on top. you create your own luck - no?
george54
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crazylemon)
A small flaw with that is everyone else is doing the same (what with it being med school where everyone had to fight just to get in) Meaning you have to run as fast as you can to stay put, and twice as fast as that to get ahead.
But surely there are those who work harder than others? And those who are just more adept, better learners etc etc. You can't be insinuating that everyone is exactly the same

(Original post by digitalis)
sorry dude but this means nothing to me lol, my point is this - a hard working individual does not have a 50/50 chance of being in the top/bottom of the class. similarly, a lazy student is more likely to find him/herself towards the bottom of the class.
digitalis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
But surely there are those who work harder than others? And those who are just more adept, better learners etc etc. You can't be insinuating that everyone is exactly the same

sorry dude but this means nothing to me lol, my point is this - a hard working individual does not have a 50/50 chance of being in the top/bottom of the class. similarly, a lazy student is more likely to find him/herself towards the bottom of the class.
That is Gaussian distribution, it is the distribution in any continuous variable in a natural population (i.e. grades/ranking/intelligence in med school).

As crazylemon insinuates, you are up against a whole bunch of far, far more intelligent people than you have experienced in school, so probability says that most people fall into the middle of that curve.
ljos
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
BOT

That list makes me laugh - reminds me of the 'You Know You're a Nurse When...' group on Facebook.

ljos' healthcare truths:
1. You won't want your favourite patient to leave
2. Toilets = designated crying area
3. Surgeons have more fun
4. Seizures get boring after a while
5. It doesn't happen like the books said it would
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Of course some work harder. But remember you are no longer at college. There are no longer the really lazy/stupid ones. They don't make it.

Digitalis explained it.
fortysixandtwo
Report 8 years ago

Reasoned and logical points like this are not allowed from applicants.

crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by fortysixandtwo)
Reasoned and logical points like this are not allowed from applicants.

I am not saying that list is cannon more that if you go in expecting to be near the top you are likely to get a nasty surprise.

Unless you are a gunner.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (399)
91.72%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (36)
8.28%

Watched Threads