Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got my theory in a week and haven't done anything for it so far except mess around on the DVD (borrowed a friends which has a picture of a woman ripping up L plates on the front). Do I need to go over anything? And do I have enough time? I'm pretty good at driving, but I don't know how that'll help.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt, lol first time. Second time easy. Just dont underestimate it, the hazard perceptions a *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_secret_billionaire)
    I didnt, lol first time. Second time easy. Just dont underestimate it, the hazard perceptions a *****.
    I'll second this, hazard perception ruined it for me the first time I tried, I thought being perceptive while actually driving would be enough, but.. no.. copious amounts of practice with the ol' dvd were necessary.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    By answering the right questions and clicking at the right moment.

Much of the theory you'll already know from just common sense and just generally using roads, but you might want to read the highway code or answer some practice questions. For hazard perception you can do practice ones on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mydearthing)
    I've got my theory in a week and haven't done anything for it so far except mess around on the DVD (borrowed a friends which has a picture of a woman ripping up L plates on the front). Do I need to go over anything? And do I have enough time? I'm pretty good at driving, but I don't know how that'll help.

I used that CD cant remember what its called but I used that and passed i got 49/50 in my theory and i think 57/65 or wateva in hazard bob...it helped allot with the hazard perception, also I did look over the book I got from a library I looked at every single question so thats probably why I did ok in the thing out of 50. GOOD LUCK just keep practicing and seeing as you have some experience in driving that really helps it did for me.

ReputationRep:
    Spent a bit of time flicking through the highway code, and made sure I knew exactly how the hazard perception worked. The bit I found hardest was actually understanding what they want you to do for the hazard perception.

ReputationRep:
    I used a CD to revise for around thirty minutes every evening. But only did that on the week of my test, rather than months before. So, all I can suggest is that you just keep trying out the theory / hazard perception tests for a little while each evening 'til you feel confident in yourself.

Oh and good luck OP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyyy)
    I'll second this, hazard perception ruined it for me the first time I tried, I thought being perceptive while actually driving would be enough, but.. no.. copious amounts of practice with the ol' dvd were necessary.
    How much practice?

ReputationRep:
    I managed first time with no DVD or CD just my trusty highway code. Problem was I only just passed with like 5 marks on hazard and one mark on questions. I would seriously reccomending converting to the religion of driving and using the DVD as your bible for a while before the test

ReputationRep:
    How much practice?
    Well on the first time when I failed I only did about 3 hazard perception practice tests.. did about 15 when I passed the second time though :p: It's not so bad once you know what you're looking for, like you'll expect certain hazards on different types of road and whatnot. It's not too bad, I probably didn't even need to do that much practice, I just wanted to be especially sure since I couldn't really afford to fail a second time..

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how I passed. I took it the day after my 18th birthday, I was still drunk I think. I hadn't done any practise whatsoever, apart from one practise of the hazard perception when I got disqualified for clicking too much.

I went there and passed. It was common sense really, apart from knowing not to click too much

ReputationRep:
    i done the 50 questions in about 5 minutes then done the hazard , overall about 12-13 minutes , ended up with 48 and 62 all with a nights revision beforehand , just read highway code and then done a few of those hazard perceptions. dont worry to much you will pass it.

ReputationRep:
    I used the dvd and managed to get full marks on the theory. the hazard perception was a bit harder at the time compared to the practice, but i think i also got distracted by the pretty porsche in one of my clips. i got no marks for that one.
    Just practice as much as you can, and dont panic.

ReputationRep:

I got three fire engines in my hazard perception... it was so amusing... 'oh theres another one'
    You can get a reasonable amount on the hazard perception with the obvious ones I found... ie fire engines ... or zebra crossings... look out for those

I used the same CD everyone's on about.. again i cant remember the name... might have been 'Driving Theory Success' something like that...

Good luck
    x

ReputationRep:

I made question cards of all the possible theory questions and then kept asking myself them until i got them right, and for hazard perception i just kept practising on the disk.

ReputationRep:
    I read the entire highway code book when I was 10 (My bro was learning to drive at the time lol!), so I remembered pretty much most of it - had a re-read over stopping distances/anything numerically related (Speed limits ect.) Already knew basic first aid, and the rest is common sense tbh. Hazard perception; used the dvd which OP speaks of and done a few of those, admittedly I don't understand what's so hard about it, but meh everyone's different.

Passed 1st time, with what the woman said was a 'exceptionally high' hazard perception score. Personally, I think it may have been down to the fact I had three clips which contained sheep walking in the road and being overly cautious :p:

Good luck!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.